Keezer Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thinking of doing a simple keezer collar build, with 4 taps. I've seen some builds with and without insulation on the inside of the collar.

I've got a chest freezer that can fit 6 kegs + 2 x 9L on the hump at present running off an STC1000.

Just after a few opinions around the insulation - it's it necessary?

I'm building one ATM too. I also have one I knocked up last year without insulation for the collar. Over winter I aim to get keezer 2 completed, then I want to adjust some stuff in keezer 1 and insulate the collar. Over summer with some of the 40°c days it did stay cold but I suspect was working harder than need,

I haven't started looking yet but my plan is some foam board 20mm ( a little denser than spongy yoga mat) from clark rubber. Then some 3M 3340 aluminium tape. Then flow meters for the tap display.

I found it made a difference to first pour foaming issues, with a fan in there as well it keeps the back of the shanks and the lines cool.

It isn't a huge expense or effort so why not?

Mine doesn't have insulation - it may have to do slightly more work to stay cool but I really doubt it would lose too much coolth through an inch or two of timber anyway. My view is that the greater the length of metal shank is exposed to cold air inside the keezer the better, so as to act as a heatsink to keep the taps as cool as possible.

Plus, with all the various taps and fittings and fans and stuff hanging off the timber any insulation in my keezer would resemble swiss cheese anyway.

Back