Keezer build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangover68

Reaction score
So i moved into kegging and so began the slippery slope to a DIY keezer project. We have a small chest and upright freezer that were used for food but i started eying off the chest freezer for a keezer build, so i bought a larger upright freezer and then found that the chest freezer was about 2cm short of fitting 2 corny's side by side.
Went on the hunt for a suitable freezer and came across 300L freezer that was already setup as a keezer with a large plywood collar, it was the right price (free) and fairly close so picked it up and began removing the collar and getting it ready for my build. I went the tried and trusted route of using pine, 90x35mm, and set about making the collar, glued and screwed and then used some baltic stain and polyurethane for a durable finish.
Drilled it for 2 taps but positioned them so a 3rd can be added later, found that my unused tube of silicone was rock hard but luckily had a couple of tubes of acrylic gap sealer that seems to be holding up ok.
A couple of SS shanks with duotite fittings and matching fittings for the liquid lines, manifold and gas lines ran to a 2.6kg bottle and my mini reg that i was using with a mini keg.
Pretty happy how it turned out, using an inkbird for temp control but i have a fridge thermostat to fit later. even the missus said it looks good so now i better brew a hard seltzer for her and flavour it.

Attachments

• 20201211_142644.jpg
    20201211_142644.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20201215_195304.jpg
    20201215_195304.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201211_191124.jpg
    20201211_191124.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20201219_104637.jpg
    20201219_104637.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:
Looks good. I just built a keezer myself. Need to add a third layer of 70x35 though as I didnt factor in the height of disconnects for the keg that sits on the 'step'.

Attachments

• IMG-20201124-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20201124-WA0003.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 68
Pretty happy how it turned out, using an inkbird for temp control but i have a fridge thermostat to fit later. even the missus said it looks good so now i better brew a hard seltzer for her and flavour it.
I have done a couple of keezers and just adjusted the screw inside the thermostat so that it runs at fridge temp. Was pretty easy to do.
Nice job on the keezer. Looks good.

I have done a couple of keezers and just adjusted the screw inside the thermostat so that it runs at fridge temp. Was pretty easy to do.
Nice job on the keezer. Looks good.

I'll check it out, it has external adjustment but it was still at -10c at the lowest setting.

One suggestion, chuck a computer fan in there connected to a length of pvc (120mm fan screwed to 100mm puddle flange on ~500mm length of 100mm pipe worked well for me).

Airflow makes a huge difference to temperature consistency and also chills the taps much more. I found I got a lot less foaming from the first pour after putting in the fan.

I'll check it out, it has external adjustment but it was still at -10c at the lowest setting.
The adjustment screw is inside the thermostat. I just put a temp gauge in the freezer and ran it until it got to 2c, disconnected the power then pulled the side cover of to access the thermostat. Mine are fisher and paykel freezers they have a small Allen key screw inside the thermostat and I think it was about 6 turns Anti clockwise. The thermostat will click when it's adjusted to that temp and that will be the temp it cuts out at. You can then use the temp adjustment on the outside to fine tune your temp. I always have the outside temp adjustment set about half way so you can still make it colder or warmer. But make sure you disconnect power because there is 240v going through the thermostat.

Latest posts

Back