Keezer build questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyg8

Reaction score
Hey so I have started on my keezer build and I have a few questions that I was hoping to get answered

I have built the collar and ordered most the parts I need

Where or what type of polystyrene/foil should I use to insulate the inside of the collar?
Im thinking a pc fan needs to be installed using an old phone charger to power it? does anyone have pictures of where they have mounted?

I will post pics when I get closer to completion

thanks

There's some discussion about insulation here (note: Not AHB)

As for a fan, it will need whatever power supply the specs call for. I have a little 240VAC fan to be used for this purpose, but there are others which will require 12VDC, etc. If you have any doubts at all, get an electrician mate to help you out since playing blindly with electricity is a recipe for disaster.

The fan is really just to move the air around, so wherever you can mount it that is out of the way of being hit whilst moving kegs will work. There's probably arguments for different orientations and positioning, but as long as the air is moving, that's all you really need.

I'll open this can of worms...
Do you need insulation?
I know there are 2 camps of thought, but has anyone done any testing to come to a result with data behind it?

yeh ive played around with computer fans before with other projects so im fine with hooking that up...was just wondering if I should have the fan about half way down pushing cold air up to help with the beer line temps

Yeh I have read that page...I guess I thought it might help keep moisture away from the wood

I have no insulation on my collar, just painted the wood with an external enamel..

I haven't wired in a fan yet, but it seems to have no trouble keeping temps. It sits on 4 c at pretty much all times and seems to only cycle the compressor on a couple times a day even in my 40C shed. personally I don't think the positioning of the fan really matters, if you're into having a fan then some airflow is good, no matter where

Yeh I think I might get it up and running and see how it goes...can always add it later on

A fan with no insulation does the job with no problems and uses buggar all power too. I have mine on a micro switch and it is on 24/7, unless the keezer is open of course.

Back