Keezer Build - Keezer for a Geezer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGibbon

Reaction score
So this is my "new" donor freezer for building my first Keezer.

I'm wondering if its a case of using a standup font on top, or a collar and taps on the front.
I was thinking a font on top, with the temp controller in a small box mounted where the font stands.
But I count also do a neat installation of the temp controller on the collar too...

I need opinions / advice please!

Front:
6LAYDbI.jpg

Back, note bar across for hinges on sides:
QmKhj1o.jpg

Side Hinge, might be an issue for a collared build, unless I get different hinges:
OJkSqZe.jpg

Inside, plenty of room for my first build, two kegs:
5vAoY2T.jpg

I pretty much have all the materials I need, including the standup font for the top.
So before I started I through I would ask this question.
I don't really intend using it for anything else after either.

Thanks in advance.
Gib

I had exactly the same freezer for my kegs until it died, I made a collar for it rather than a font, the hinges actually bolt to the back and I had no issues remounting the lid to the collar using the existing hinges, from memory the part of the hinges on the side are for the tension bars that stop the lid from dropping on your head.
I ran the temp probe through the collar and had the controller mounted in a box on my bar shelf, nothing fancy but it worked.

So you already have the font, you may as well use it.

I would put a collar on it so you can fit extra kegs, one carbing the other spare if your font only has two taps?

Put the temp mate on the collar.

Keezer conversion guide in my signature would see u right except ahb articles are offline. I have a pdf version on my pc I can email u if u PM me. Tried and tested by thousands. Ok dozens. In regards to the limted capacity of thr freezer. Easy. Have an extra gas line split of one of those others that goes back outside the keezer and carb ur kegs up on that line thus having 2 kegs pouring and cold. The extra line can then also be used for a cpbf without screwing around with ur keg lines.

collar is easy to do

I fitted my STC into the freezer just above the light bottom right, ill get a pic of it to

taps to come!

IMG00565-20121217-1118.jpg

IMG00566-20121217-1119.jpg

IMG00614-20130112-1549.jpg

citymorgue2 said:
Keezer conversion guide in my signature would see u right except ahb articles are offline. I have a pdf version on my pc I can email u if u PM me. Tried and tested by thousands. Ok dozens. In regards to the limted capacity of thr freezer. Easy. Have an extra gas line split of one of those others that goes back outside the keezer and carb ur kegs up on that line thus having 2 kegs pouring and cold. The extra line can then also be used for a cpbf without screwing around with ur keg lines.
I think I could do with another look through that if you wouldn't mind. PM sent.

No worries will swnd to those who want it.

looks like a F&P 215 or 205L? i've got one looks identical, that i've built a collar on and my previous keezer was a font on top.

Collar - Pros - extra keg space and don't have to move freezer everytime you want to open lid.
Cons - have to lift kegs a fair bit higher to get them in and out and reaching base inside is a PITA when you drop something in there or have to dry up spills
- I worry i'm going to snap beerlines off the back of the shank everytime i hoik them in and out...

Font - Pros - looks super cool, don't have to lift kegs as high, beeerlines seem to be safer out of the way when lid open.
Cons - have to move freezer to open lid - not as many kegs fit in same sized keezer.

i'm thinkng my next one will be a chest freezer, no font, no collar with a font mounted on a separate bar next to it.. no moving freezer, no lifting over collar.

Hey Gibbon.

Just my 2c worth.

I recently put together my first keezer. It's a Fisher & Paykel H 220 (216 litre I think but wider and slimmer than the H215).

I went with a font on top for the following reasons:

Mostly because I prefer the look of it.
Limited space and was worried about the taps getting whacked all the time as people walked/stumbled past.
I wanted to try and make it look more like a bar (as in not like a freezer in disguise :ph34r: ). So I bought a nice looking slab of wood to mount on top of the freezer, and painted the freezer black.

Another thing to consider is where will the CO2 cylinder go? Presumably outside to save space. That's what I did. So I have cobbled up a box to hide the CO2 cylinder in (and stop it getting kicked over by the same idiots who would bump into the taps if they were on the front of it). When I get a chance I will mount the STC-1000 in there.

I can grab some pics if you're interested.

It's still a work in progress but I intend to get a drip tray installed in the wood as well, maybe recessed into it to be flush with the bar top if I can.

So far so good.

Have fun, it's a good project and the first beer out of it will taste that much better for the work you put in.

Thanks Guys.

I looked at the font on top option firstly as I have a 3yr old and a 5 year old in the house and well... things could get messy if they discover the "fun taps" on the front of the keezer.....
The CO2 cylinder will go inside, there is plenty of room inside.

With a collar I would have room for three kegs and the cylinder, she is only a 160ltr but there is more room than you'd think.

Decisions, decisions....

MrGibbon said:
Thanks Guys.

I looked at the font on top option firstly as I have a 3yr old and a 5 year old in the house and well... things could get messy if they discover the "fun taps" on the front of the keezer.....
The CO2 cylinder will go inside, there is plenty of room inside.

With a collar I would have room for three kegs and the cylinder, she is only a 160ltr but there is more room than you'd think.

Decisions, decisions....
teach them not to touch. Ive got 3 under 6. Taught all of them not to touch. Horses for courses.
Id stick cylinder outside. No need to waste good cold space.

citymorgue2 said:
teach them not to touch. Ive got 3 under 6. Taught all of them not to touch. Horses for courses.
I agree 100%. My Soon to be 3yo and 4yo both know not to touch Daddy's beer stuff. I honestly have more troubles with friends and family than I do my two tin lids!

MrGibbon I was in the same predicament as you about 8 weeks ago when i was assembling my keezer setup. I opted for the font on top, mainly because i preferred the look of it plus i'm 6'4 so i'd get pissed off pretty quick having to bend down all the time to pour a beer :)

Mine was 140L so reasonably similar to yours and fits 2 kegs plus 4.5kg gas bottle. I know many people say there's wasted space in it which is true, but there is only me drinking it and a few mates around to watch boxing on sundays, so there's only so much beer a man can drink. Gotta keep reminding myself I'm only 24 and still at Uni so i need to preserve what little braincells i have left. :ph34r:

I've since installed a computer fan inside a little hobby/project box (a lunchbox would have worked just as well) with a hole in it to suck air, plus about 40cm of that washing machine hose blowing the cold air from inside the fridge up into the font. The font get's a nice buildup of condensation on it and definitely helps keep the lines cool. It's by no means anything comparable to a glycol setup but for the price it does the job and completely stopped some foaming issues i was having at first.

Not sure if any of that helps you mate?

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

Oh and here's the same kinda thing i made. http://www.weiku.com/products-image/16294936/Kegerator-Tower-Cooler-Fan-Kit-ND-406-.html

They sell them at kegking and esbrewing but $50 is a bit steep when you can do it yourself for about $15 and use a fan with more or less grunt.

Here's a step by step thing i based mine off http://www.kegkits.com/kegerator5.htm you don't really need the instructions though to be honest as you get a pretty good indication of what's going on just by looking at the pics.

joshF, awesome idea, yep I have a few fans I will be putting to good use!
Pics of your fan setup would be cool!

No worries mate, here's some pics. it's got DIY written all over it but it doesnt really bother me :)

Capture.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

Hey fellas my internet is down until tomorrow so am on 3G which wont handle the size of the file. So ill email it to u guys tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back