Keeping Beer In Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
hey guys,
I'm looking at getting into kegging and have a question about storing beer in them.

I have a 19L cornie (ball lock) keg that was given to me for free from my mates dad. It's had the new seals and everything done and apparently holds pressure.

I have a batch of Dr Smurto's golden ale in the fermenter at the moment that is ready to bottle but wanted to ask the guru's on here if it it's possible to transfer my batch across into my new keg until i can afford the other equipment? (yes getting paid monthly may just be the worst f*cking thing in existence).

Of course there's a big issue with oxidation and so on, so my question is could i buy one of those keg chargers and a co2 bulb to remove excess air out of the keg (i know those bulbs can't carbonate) so it could be stored until i get my remaining keg setup or is that not possible?

Some of you might say 'just leave it in the fermenter until you get all your gear' but i'm planning to do a brew this weekend so i'm gonna need that damn fermenter :lol:

Apologies if this is a really stupid question but i haven't seen any similar posts about it and wanted to know if its feasible or not.

thanks heaps,
Josh

Yep, natural carb in the keg is the perfect solution for you.

Yep, natural carb in the keg is the perfect solution for you.
mmmm..perhaps not.
Your keg, untested or not, may not be airtight as it is, a simple test would be to fill it with water, seal and then shake or even invert, if you get leakage then natural carbonation will simply not work as the CO2 will free itself before the keg seals from the internal pressure.
OK, I have not naturally carbonated for years so my advice may be wrong, but when I did, I always used some CO2 to at least seal the keg,
K

If your pour some boiling water in and shake that will produce steam. If the steam escapes...

If you do get a keg charger then dose with suagr/dex to naturally carbonate and give the keg a hit of c02 that should seal up the seal nice and good.

awesome, thanks for the responses fella's.
I'll give the boiling water method a go when i get home. I figure paying $50 odd for a keg charger is worthwhile until i get the rest of my kegging gear plus i'll almost definitely be using it for portable dispensing at mates places etc anyway.

Is there a rough estimate of how long i should use the keg charger for to seal the keg? Have been flat out at work lately so I haven't had a whole lot of time lately to read up on them.

cheers,
Josh

awesome, thanks for the responses fella's.
I'll give the boiling water method a go when i get home. I figure paying $50 odd for a keg charger is worthwhile until i get the rest of my kegging gear plus i'll almost definitely be using it for portable dispensing at mates places etc anyway.

Is there a rough estimate of how long i should use the keg charger for to seal the keg? Have been flat out at work lately so I haven't had a whole lot of time lately to read up on them.

cheers,
Josh

A couple of half squirts should do it

You'll see what I mean when you use it ;)

Back