K&kiab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed Big Nath. Put alot of things right in my head. Although it hurts now, and my fingers.....Iv'e never typed so much in my life. Cheers Steve

Wow cool lockupgarage, wish I had on of those :(

Anyway. Ill try somthing like this and leave the bag for the pros. Do all the guys who make good AG beer use the BIAB methond or most use a 3V set up? It seems that 3V is best but I like my esky and don't want to cut it up.

Do I have too use an airlock, I keep reading about kittens or some shit from posts about a year or two back and I don't get it.

Why would someone harm a kitten, couldn't they just give it away or something. If that Butters guy killed a kitten then he needs help cos I love cats and as much as I find this beer thing confusing killing a kitten it just wrong.

Is that why he got banned?

Two things.....

1. Dont worry about the kitten.
Its a joke that was thrown around a long time ago, and its getting really tired. I didnt think it was funny the first time, but others keep laughing at it. No kitten was harmed.

2. Re: best method??
Impossible to say. Depends on your criteria as to how you define the parameters for 'best'.

Im a 3v brewer who is starting to lean towards biab. Only due to time constraints, and ease of setup and pack down.

Beers are comparable, but a 3v rig sure looks pretty sexy. Still, i value my spare time, and no one really notices my brewery anyway, so now im doing the biab thing........with a little, little bit of bling....

Forget the kitten thing (look up internet meme then do your best to forget they exist as there's no point to them).

Hope your posts are genuine.

If they are, learn about fermentation, then look at extract and steeping grains, then look at mashing. In the mean time read about beer - even if you don't get it first time, re-read, try something out you read and watch someone else do it. It all adds up.

Kittens get stuck in my airlock all the time, it'a ******* problem I tell ya, a bit like bluewaffle. Butters saw the light and tried to enlighten us all but got banned in the process. Beer somebody was nearly killed by such a kitten in his early brewing days IIRC.

Good Luck

Hey Steve, you need to look at it this way... where are the flavours, sugars and bitterness coming from?

With my method, the flavours are from the kit and hops, and some from the grain, the bitterness is from the kit, and the sugar is from the BE2. With BIAB/All Grain, the flavours and sugars come from the grains and hops (added late in the boil), and the bitterness from the hops (added early in the boil).

Look at my small swiss voile bag of grain as a small version of the grain bag you would use for BIAB. I used only 150g, but with an all grain BIAB it can be 5 kilos of a mixture of grains. Apart from this, and the size of the pot, the simplest BIAB method is much like my current method.

Simple BIAB (exact details from a recipe)

In a dirty big pot, put heaps of water
Bring the water to required temp for the grain. Turn off heat
Put grain bag in and mix, and cover with blankets for required time
Remove grain and drain as much liquid from it back into the pot
Bring pot to boil
Add bittering hops at say 60 minutes before the end of the boil, bittering/flavour hops at 30 minutes, flavour hops at 20 - 0 minutes, aroma hops at 0 and directly to the fermenter.
Pour liquid into fermentor or cube/container and allow to cool.
Pitch yeast when cooled.

Now this is a very simplistic view of BIAB, but as you can see, it is not much different to my method except for the size of the pot and boil, and the amount of grain. There is no need for BE2 as all the sugars come from the grain, and you are now playing around with hops to get your bitterness and extra flavours and aromas into the brew.

Two things.....

1. Dont worry about the kitten.
Its a joke that was thrown around a long time ago, and its getting really tired. I didnt think it was funny the first time, but others keep laughing at it. No kitten was harmed.

2. Re: best method??
Impossible to say. Depends on your criteria as to how you define the parameters for 'best'.

Im a 3v brewer who is starting to lean towards biab. Only due to time constraints, and ease of setup and pack down.

Beers are comparable, but a 3v rig sure looks pretty sexy. Still, i value my spare time, and no one really notices my brewery anyway, so now im doing the biab thing........with a little, little bit of bling....

Cool, so sounds like alot of people are taking on this BIAB thing. I've been reading stuff on here for over a year now and BIAB seems to be best for me anyway.

Forget the kitten thing (look up internet meme then do your best to forget they exist as there's no point to them).

Hope your posts are genuine.

If they are, learn about fermentation, then look at extract and steeping grains, then look at mashing. In the mean time read about beer - even if you don't get it first time, re-read, try something out you read and watch someone else do it. It all adds up.

Cool, memes are ok. People email them to me all the time but onlt some get forwarded. As for my posts, very genuine. I've also read bits of the 'how to brew' book and think its a bit too much for me just yet.

Kittens get stuck in my airlock all the time, it'a ******* problem I tell ya, a bit like bluewaffle. Butters saw the light and tried to enlighten us all but got banned in the process. Beer somebody was nearly killed by such a kitten in his early brewing days IIRC.

Good Luck

Haha, yeah from what I've read kittens get mentioned alot. I don't even use and airlock as I find the glad wrap method much easier and I can see the beer ferment.

As for bluewaffle thats a meme I'd rather forget. Someone sent that link to me in an email a few years back and its haunted me ever since.

Thanks for all your help tonight guys. Ill give the kit in a bag a miss and try the method lockupgarage posted. :D

Mike Klitorus (username on here) is local to you I think and knows about airlocks and such. Shoot him a PM - beneath the gruff exterior is a very helpful and genuine bloke who can help you out.

Do I have too use an airlock, I keep reading about kittens or some shit from posts about a year or two back and I don't get it.

Why would someone harm a kitten, couldn't they just give it away or something. If that Butters guy killed a kitten then he needs help cos I love cats and as much as I find this beer thing confusing killing a kitten it just wrong.

Is that why he got banned?

This guy has been trolling the board with this whole thread from the start. Kits in a bag, now kitten references. :rolleyes:

Way to waste everyone's time, mate.

Kits in a bag, now kitten references. :rolleyes:
And...

- Boiling Grain

- Using Old Tins

- Spending $30 on a single batch

yet the thread remained pretty much on topic for 3 pages.

similar troll to that dipstick last week with the red font?

This guy has been trolling the board with this whole thread from the start. Kits in a bag, now kitten references. :rolleyes:

Way to waste everyone's time, mate.

And...

- Boiling Grain

- Using Old Tins

- Spending $30 on a single batch

similar troll to that dipstick last week with the red font?

If I'm wasting people time because I thought that by using a bag I'd somehow make these leftover kits of mine taste better then why did one guy message me and guys like Steve32 and lockupgarage help me out?

Do I have to do something more to get some clear help?
They put in in a logical order and explained the differences to me.

I've been reading this forum for over a year now and have read everything from Kittens, to that Yasami thing which is obvious BS, Kegging, about nasa/spiral burners and how much heat they put out. Good links to deals on ebay etc, some that I've used as well.

It was the DMS boiling thread that had me thinking that boiling my kits would make a better beer.

I pretty much boil them anyway, as I put the kit and the LDM into the fermenter and then add boiling water and mix it around. I just don't boil it for an hour like most of you guys do.

Thats what I thought the key was, was to boil it for a full hour, maybe ill add some hops if it doesn't make it over bitter with the hops that are already in the kits.

Also I've since read over the Nick thread and a few others and now realise I stuffed up about boiling grains to do an AG beer. Obvoiusly its steep at 65-70 degrees then boil it to remove DMS while adding hops to add flavour.

So if my coopers kits have all that in the can already then why do people add extra grains and hops etc. Wouldn't that stuff the beer making it to sugary from the extra gain or to bitter from the extra hops?

As for spending $30 on making a beer thats a bit of money for me. Me and the mrs are about to have kids and I can't go out spending heaps on 3V breweries like the one listed in Adelaide in the marketplace section.

I can buy beer for $30 on sale, it wont be very good but the mrs wont bite my head off over it. I need to make beer thats is good if not better than what I'm making now and any trick I can use that I've picked up from this place I'll give it a go.

When I finally ask a question or two on here I get told I'm a troll and that I havent got it right in my head yet.

I'm feeling like I need to stop, read through all this again and try again from scratch.

It's that or I don't ask questions, don't get any help and don't make better beer.

I'm quite happy with the beer I've been making just that I've read about how good some of the beers on here are and want to do this for myself, just without spending $1500 on a brewery I don't even know how to use.

Thanks Steve

Sure "steve". Go meet with mike l'torus on brewday if you are genuine.

you could talk about botulism. And airlocks.

Sure "steve". Go meet with mike l'torus on brewday if you are genuine.

you could talk about botulism. And airlocks.

I don't know what botulism is but I did message him. Thanks for caring......

I'm outa here, boss its about to kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back