K&K Radler....ideas needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I dont mind a raddler :ph34r: . and was thinking of doing one. As all my AG gear is packed away I have to make do with a kit. Has anyone made one. Was thinking of an all malt ( no sugar here kiddies ) pilsner or cerveza kit and adding lemon/lime juice to the ferm . And please no advice on ferm temps, yeast etc. I already know more then most.

I do a simple but effective one.

Any K&K cerveza (obviously the better quality K&K the better).

I do a stove top boil with DME and dex with 20g hops for 5 - 10 mins. I've used all different hops and they all seem to make a good raddler.
At 5 mins I zest 2 limes and also squeeze its juices in. All go into the FV and the rest is as usual.

It's a nice light beer with a subtle lime flavour.

There would be better ways to do it but I find this cheap and effective.

Make sure you post whatever way/recipe you decide to go with.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I dont mind a raddler :ph34r: . and was thinking of doing one. As all my AG gear is packed away I have to make do with a kit. Has anyone made one. Was thinking of an all malt ( no sugar here kiddies ) pilsner or cerveza kit and adding lemon/lime juice to the ferm . And please no advice on ferm temps, yeast etc. I already know more then most.

For a Radler most would just mix any Pilsener or Cerveza 50/50 with lemonade in the glass, rather than adding lemon juice to the ferment.

But seeing you "already know more than most" I'm sure I didn't have to tell you that. :p

Florian said:
For a Radler most would just mix any Pilsener or Cerveza 50/50 with lemonade in the glass, rather than adding lemon juice to the ferment.

But seeing you "already know more than most" I'm sure I didn't have to tell you that. :p
looking at a Barefoot/Barecove style, not a shandy

I'll have to google that one.

Anyway, what i have described is widely considered as Radler or Alsterwasser, with some regional variations.

Germans will regularly drink a Radler (pilsner mixed with lemonade as mentioned above) during summer or if they are driving (or even an Alkoholfrei :blink: ) - whereas in Australia a "shandy" is a "girly" drink. I guess we pay a helluva lot more for our beer here, so diluting it is seen as wasting it.

The barefoot is quite nice and refreshing. Is Miller Chill classed as the same, or is it just Cerveza with lime and salt added to it?

Barefoot is more like a "lager n lime" of Pommy fame - the famous leg opener of the 60s especially when done on Stella - as opposed to a shandy, and the reason that the sweetness doesn't ferment out is that it's zapped during pasteurisation.

Normal kit lager plus a dash of Bickfords into the glass should get you close. I take it you aren't kegging at the moment but if so, you could add a bottle of Bickfords to the keg and then crank it down real cold. And remember not to ferment at over 22 degrees - you might find Nottingham to be a good yeast choice.

Black Devil Dog said:
Whatever you do watch your ferment temp and use a good yeast.
I've heard a good dose of sugar helps too. And once you've "made do" with a kit can you let the kiddies know how it went so they can know more? B)

Back