K&k Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mika

Lupulin Threshold Shift Victim
Reaction score
The Keg is empty...long live the Keg :beerbang:
But need to fill it up, and thinking a Pilsner or Pilsener (as defined in the BJCP guidleines) would be a good thing (the missus is a fan ;) )
I've previously tried the Coopers Brewmaster Pilsner with Saaz hops (teabag style) before and didn't mind it.
But my brewing prowess has advanced since then, so I'm hoping someone on this site can provide me with a nice little K&K recipe maybe using some grains (steeping for the mo, no partial mashes) and I'll buy some Saaz (?) hop pellets to throw in as well.

Got a 11L stockpot (got a igger pot, but the NASA hasn't arrived yet), so don't mind a bit of boiling or whatever (just can't be bothered with a partial at the moment). Not worried about colour as long as it tastes good. Was thinking of aiming for the upper end of the IBU scale, so a heavy hop schedule is the go me thinks.
Hoping to buy the ingredients tomorrow (Saturday) and brew either late Saturday or late Sunday, so if no-one gets a chance to reply by then, I'll talk to the LHBS guy and wing it :D

Cheers
Mika :party:

PM Sent :D Cheers Dave.

if you want a pilser which is a light beer there are no grains that are appropriate to steep -

lou

My standard brew is a K&K Pilsner.

I use "Coopers Brewmaster Pilsner
500G Light Malt Extract
500G Dextrose
20G Sazz boiled for 30 minutes
10G Sazz in boil last 2 minutes before flame out
Strain into fermenter and top up to 18 ltr mark
Ferment with "Wyeast Pilsen 2007"yeast at 14C
Rack after 10 days and leave another 10 days in fridge at about 8C
Keg and gas as normal.

Its a good quaffing brew

:super:

John B

Thanks for the advice John. I take it you only boil the LME and Dextrose and add the kit at Flameout ?

mika,
Check out this link for some ideas, particularly the enhanced kit version and maybe some grains from the extract version. I'm at a similar level to you and I have based a few of my recipes off this site.

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/BeerOTMonth/riggers_pils.htm

You say that you are ok to steep grains, so a minimash of 200g pils malt and 200g vienna malt as suggested in the extract recipe really isn't any harder. You would have to mash them, but all you really need to do is your basic steep, but for 60min with a bit of temp control and you should be right. Based on this I'd be doing something like the following.

1. put 200g pils & 200g vienna malt in a pot and add water at 72 degrees and stir through. Temp of the mash should be around 65 degrees. Put the lid on and wrap in a towl and leave for 60min.

2. Add say 0.5l of boiling water to mash to raise temp, stir through and then strain into boil pot using a sieve or similar. Sparge through with another litre of hot water.

3. Add say 0.5kg of light malt extract and water up to about 8L, add say 20g saaz and boil for 25min.

4. Add another 20g saaz and boil for another 5min then add 1kg light malt extract and your choice of kit.

5. Cool, add to fermenter, top off and ferment!

This should yield a beer around 4.5% abv and the hops would add around 10 IBU to the kit's bitterness.

I found this sort of methodology gave good results and was a good introduction to partial mashes and extract brews.

Good luck
BK

Thanks for all the replys :D
Unfotunately the window of oppurtunity has closed so what I've got is what I've got.
Thanks bkmad, might try your recipe a little further down the track. Hopefully next time I make a Pilsener I'll be up to using just grains :unsure:.
GMK also gave me a great recipe, but he's obviously a lot more patient than I am :D I need to fill the keg quickly.
For now I'm basically following John B's kit, but have gone for the Morgans can of goo. Only a $$ or two more and I personally think they're better than the coopers (in the other cans I've tried).

Once again, cheers for all the replys.
Will let you know how it goes.

Mika

Definately recommend the ESB 3KG Czech Pilsnere. Always got one of them on the go. Simple, quick and a great quaffer.
Cheers
Steve

What do you add to the 3kg paint tin ? or is that it ? ..tin+water+yeast=brew

3 kg tin is pretty much as U suggest. Tin, water, yeast.

Or U could do an ag beer without the mash by buying a Fresh wort pack, from ESB or NNB (I think it's NNB, from Potters Brewery in the Hunter Valley).

No affiliation, but I have an NNB fresh wort sparkling blonde ale on W1318 yeastcake (from my Xmas in July beer) going off at the moment, and have also heard great reports of the Bohemian lager from them.

I've made an ESB pils (fresh wort) with W1214 on a couple of occasions and they were mostly good (just had 1 that was a mislabelled Irish Red, I think).

Well worth the extra cuppla bucks to invest in a very drinkable and very, very keggable all-grain beer.

My 2 cents
Uncle Seth :p

Thats actually NNL Seth. I bought a NNL sparkling blonde the other day and i have just racked it. It smells the gear.

I also did a ESB pils back in the day using the Wyeast budvar yeast and it turned out really well. Another thumbs up here.

Latest posts

Back