K&K Fermentation/Kegging time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just have a question regarding primary/secondary fermentation and kegging times. I keep get conflicting information the more I read on the subject. Most people seem to be of the opinion that two weeks in the primary is an average time but I'm finding that primary fermentation itself is done within 5 days with most K&K packs from the LHBS.

The question I want to ask is why you leave the primary sitting there for 2 weeks when it's done after 5. I understand it clears the beer and helps clean out the beer. Would this not happen if you transferred it to the keg anyway? I was thinking after a week I could put it straight in the keg, into the fridge and let it gas up for a week, and this time would allow any solids etc to settle to the bottom of the beer anyway - they'd come out in the first glass.

The Coopers Mexican Cervuza kit I've put on was a straight K&K, as plain as you get. The goop with one kilo dextrose. It's been sitting in the primary at 20C for 8 days now. SG 1040 and FG is reading 1008.

As usual, any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Newts

ask 2 brewers a question and you will get at least 3 different answers

for me, my normal ale scheme would be primary till fermentation completed, 6 days roughly, fridge temp for a day or so and then rack to keg for carbonation

for others it will be different, it's up to you how you prefer to do things and what just works best for you

I ferment until its done or its convenient and then keg it. i usually check it after 5-6 days, then 24 hours later. If the SG readings are the same then its into the keg.
I have had some brews (using US-05 at 18°C) take 10-14 days. I've also had some brews that were finished after a week but it wasn't convenient to keg them so they were left until the following week. I havent found any difference between leaving it an extra week.
As DarkFaerytale said, depends who you ask. If i told the guy at my LHBS that my beer was ready but i left it in the fermenter because it wasnt convenient he'd give me a right talking to however a lot of people say 2 weeks minimum.
IMHO, if your beer is turning out good then whatever your doing is fine.

I have six kegs in rotation so I am never in that big of a hurry to drink my beer. Therefore I leave it in the FV for a minimum of 2 weeks sometimes 3. Sure your beer will clear in the keg (or the bottle for that matter) but if the beer is clearing in the FV surely all the by-poducts of this clearing process will be left behind with th trub when I keg. Other than that the extra time in the FV would be part of the ageing process, would it not?

After my second effort, I'm more relaxed about it. It settles to FG, and I bottle when convenient. (Usually when I have ingredients for the next batch to go in the following night).

As per VonScott, if it falls into the trub in the first place, it's not hanging around in the bottle or keg, threatening to share flavour.

(Written while waiting for my first kits and bits to finish first fermentation, a solid export stout, and feeling good about letting it do its own thing for a couple of weeks).

After my second effort, I'm more relaxed about it. It settles to FG, and I bottle when convenient. (Usually when I have ingredients for the next batch to go in the following night).

As per VonScott, if it falls into the trub in the first place, it's not hanging around in the bottle or keg, threatening to share flavour.

(Written while waiting for my first kits and bits to finish first fermentation, a solid export stout, and feeling good about letting it do its own thing for a couple of weeks).

Back