K-97 misfire.... How long to wait?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matplat

Reaction score
Evening all,

I inadvertently bought K-97 under the guise of Brew Cellar Wheat Beer Yeast, having researched it now and knowing what it is, I would have got WB-06.... Grrrr!

I was won over by the 15g pack for the same price as the 11.5g WB-06!

Anyway, here we are 3 and a bit days after pitching and there is no sign of life. I re-hydrated and was actually quite optimistic because the yeast cream generated a krausen even though I didn't proof it? Perhaps the extra 3.5g is yeast nutrient?

Pitched at 23deg then in the fridge which I set to 17.5 expecting ferment to kick off and keep temp at 20, but as no ferment it has been sitting at 17.5, I upped the temp this morn to 20....

How long is it safe to leave it before pitching new yeast? Sanitation procedures were as usual but I guess this will be putting it to the test!

The only other yeast I have access to before the weekend is the S-04 from the last batch, so don't really want to use it unless I absolutely have to.

Yeah I've read that one a few times, just not sure on the maximum lag time before pitching again...

Check gravity.
Wait 72 hours. I've had bry97 take that long.

Of course, the morning after I post a thread, krausen emerges :rolleyes:

Crisis averted :chug:

Be prepared for a long ferment, and the krausen will hang around.

But cold conditioning leaves a beautiful crystal clear beer.

Latest posts

Back