JW Pilsener Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treefiddy said:
Agreed.

Also, what is the wash you mention in the OP?

A wash is what distillers ferment then distill into spirit

Ahhhh....

He said spiritual friend so I assumed some weird hippy shit.

Now it makes complete sense, tah.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Because I wanted to try a big syrupy barleywine :D

I wanted to do a barleywine last year, but there is only about 2 months in the year in brisbane where it is even drinkable, and by the time I'd finished all my comp beers last year, it was the end of July, so no go.

I figured that if I have to use up this pils malt, and I generally prefer a good ale malt for my AIPAs, then why not use the opportunity to experiment a little.

I got some tinned blueberries and cherries, missus wanted the fruit for puddings, and I kept the juices (about a pint went into 10L, more about that later). I got some bourbon barrel chunks for a bit of aging/oaking/oxydisation and thought I'd have a crack.

Then the water went out last night and when it came back, it was late and the water was an unpleasant colour. So when I pitch, I'll check the gravity, but unless that boil was better than I thought, I've got about 10L at 1.080, instead of 1.200, which is what I'm aiming for. So the 80 IBU in that mightn't be balanced.

Aha ok then, make the BW!

mckenry said:
You haven't tried what you've made with it yet!!! How do you know weyerman is heap heaps heaps better? Apologies if you're talking about it being better than something else, but it doesn't read that way.
It's comments like that with no evidence that gives things undeserved bad reputations.
If anyone out there wants to give me free JW Pils I'll gladly accept it. It's great.
I haven't bagged out JW, but I've not seen a brewer on this forum say JW is better than Weyermanns. I have seen many say the opposite.

I live in a cold climate, don't normally make Pils and its getting too cold to drink light coloured beer. It was more a call for ideas for a variety of malt I don't normally use. I'm not ungrateful for it at all, its made getting brewing up and running easier. And if I'm lucky enough to acquire more for free, i'll be 25kg wiser too viz its strengths vs weaknesses. I wouldn't have made a barleywine if I'd already written it off.

My apologies for any implied offense :)

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I haven't bagged out JW, but I've not seen a brewer on this forum say JW is better than Weyermanns. I have seen many say the opposite.

I live in a cold climate, don't normally make Pils and its getting too cold to drink light coloured beer. It was more a call for ideas for a variety of malt I don't normally use. I'm not ungrateful for it at all, its made getting brewing up and running easier. And if I'm lucky enough to acquire more for free, i'll be 25kg wiser too viz its strengths vs weaknesses. I wouldn't have made a barleywine if I'd already written it off.

My apologies for any implied offense :)

Hi Lord,
No offence taken. I dont malt it or have shares with them or anything like that. I just wonder sometimes why JW has a bad reputation and I believe it gets parroted on here that Weyerman is the best. I also think some of those that buy Weyerman want it to be better because they've paid more. A bit like comparing private schools. You pay more you so you want better and its not always the case.
:icon_offtopic: I also live in a cold climate. I believe our average minimums here are colder than Devonport, Tasmania (I'm a hydrographer by trade) Summer maxs are probably higher, but dont let the cold stop you drinking a Pils! Especially a JW Pils :D

I have a sack to pick up this weekend. I am planning on making a bunch of pale ales/IPAs with it. I have never used it before but have used Wey & BB Pils and been pretty happy with the results. Especially for a lighter style pale ale.

I'm going to come into possession of a sack of JW Trad Ale Malt soon (for $40, so not unhappy at all), so I have a nice base for Ales.

Thinking of doing a Pils with it. I seem to be able to get good caramelisation from this pot, so I might be able to go okay with it. Sylva as the hop, and some s23.

Barleywine, I tasted the wort before pitching. It tastes (in a good way) like the tin of good for Kit beer (so bittered and thick) slightly watered down - very viscous, not too bitter. It finished at 1.090, which is well less than what I'd liked it to finish, but with the water cut off, I couldn't sparge. It's still tinged brown a couple days on.

I'll brew summer beer at the end of winter, so I can lager it for summer. I'll crack out a saison in the middle of summer as well. It gets to 26 fairly consistently here in summer, which is nice. Winter? This is going to be my first, so we'll see, but it appears from my experience that weather on the north coast is significantly warmer than Hobart. It still poked above 20 degrees on Saturday.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
No but you did say it was loads better than JW when, as McKenry rightly points out, you haven't tried the beer you made with it.

I have a preference for Weyerman Pils compared with JW (but I also have a preference for Dingemans over Weyermann), beer dependent but better is such a subjective term.

I have used all three brands many times.

manticle said:
No but you did say it was loads better than JW when, as McKenry rightly points out, you haven't tried the beer you made with it.

I have a preference for Weyerman Pils compared with JW (but I also have a preference for Dingemans over Weyermann), beer dependent but better is such a subjective term.

I have used all three brands many times.
That I did sir, based on anecdote.

I have used many other weyermanns malts (I love Weyermann Malts, it might be the romance of using German malt, it might be just that they're pretty damned good - though I reckon Bairds are fantastic for just about anything and I rate their wheat above Weyermanns wheat), and have tried BB malts before as a comparison. Based on the likely outcome, I made a throwaway comment, that I have since apologised for.

Hopefully, no harm done! :)

Said it before and I'll say it again, love JW Pils as a pale, lager or IPA base.

i used JW pils as a base in an IIPA and its awesome

Hi Goomba buddy.
Seeing as it is getting into the colder months here, a bag of JW Pils is particularly suited that not so brewed style "Baltic Porter" Brewed with pils malt and a lager yeast it is perhaps the best of type of winter beer you can drink. High in alcohol but best served a little of the chill - not a guzzler but a great beer for a cold night.
Brew one and wack it in the fermenter in the garage. The ferment temps will be just about right with out any additional temp control. You will find at this time of the year that fermenting at 12 degrees is very easy in Tassie.
Brewed one last year that was perhaps the best beer I have brewed, although at 7.5% a little drinking caution was required.
Just putting another option forward
Cheers
LagerBomb

LagerBomb said:
Hi Goomba buddy.
Seeing as it is getting into the colder months here, a bag of JW Pils is particularly suited that not so brewed style "Baltic Porter" Brewed with pils malt and a lager yeast it is perhaps the best of type of winter beer you can drink. High in alcohol but best served a little of the chill - not a guzzler but a great beer for a cold night.
Brew one and wack it in the fermenter in the garage. The ferment temps will be just about right with out any additional temp control. You will find at this time of the year that fermenting at 12 degrees is very easy in Tassie.
Brewed one last year that was perhaps the best beer I have brewed, although at 7.5% a little drinking caution was required.
Just putting another option forward
Cheers
LagerBomb
Thanks mate,

I've been meaning to make one, so I'm gonna have to grab some roasted barley.

Barleywine is starting to throw some nice smells.

Off topic, but do you know where to get rubber stoppers for glass carboys? I bought 2x 5L ones for aging from an old bloke in Devonport.

I can donate some roast barley I think. Got some here that I dont want. Probably 500g. Will check and let you know.
Rubber bungs are available fron the rubber bung shop. Seriously though, you should be able to get them from the cooking shop in Devvie. Its called Tasmania Food Machinery on Forbes Street. 1800 641548. No affilliation etc. In fact I am not allowed to go there by myself normally - spend too much on stuff I dont need. Otherwise I have ordered them online through brewcraft I think. Ebay?
Cheers
LagerBomb

Duh, ebay of course.

Roasted barley sounds fantastic as well. I can go a Baltic Porter, a little vanilla and oak. That will get also sorted on a mild, which I think I'll do when I get the Trad Ale malt.

Thanks mate, it's nice to have a local know where stuff is.

I found 50L pots at Allgoods for $109, though at the moment, I'm borrowing a 36L from jlm.

:icon_offtopic: My first pot was, and still is the Allgoods 50l s/s jobby. Using as a Mash Tun now, but has been used for every part of the brewery including a brief flirtation with Biab. Even used to cook relish/sauce and Savs on Grand Final day parties. I have heard that they can be used to cook Crabs/crayfish, but all mine are already cooked when I source them. Use it as you like.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Sweet, sounds excellent. I've got a friend (who's notoriously unreliable I'm finding, but a good bloke) who has been going to take the top off a keg I obtained a couple months back for just a straight boiler for the burner.

I think I might have nailed him down for sunday, so I'll see where that's going.

When we're up and going better, I reckon I'll grab one (but I need a mill first, so I can ditch the Bag), and maybe start with a 3V, though as I mentioned on another topic, there's something strangely satisfying about cheap beer on cheaper equipment.

Cheers,
Goomba

If your unreliable frien cant get it done let me know. I have a plasma cutter at work, which is how I did my boiler (old keg). Most of my gear started as cheap gear except for the s/s pot. Theres still an element of tight arse in my brewery but over time I have upgraded only to make it easier. Hasn't always produced better beer, but a productivity improvement is always a good thing.
Brew the Balticbuddy - you wont regret it. I thinkl I used S23 which I was hesitant about, but from memory, I pitched a massive amount of dry yeast, maybe close to 40g. It needed it.
Cheers
Lagerbomb

Back on topic.

I'm currently fermenting a Black Saison using JW Pils, JW Wheat, and some Carafa special II.

With the WY3711 you can make a reasonable Saison at 21°C.

Not sure if it'll be wintery enough, but I can let you know after I get stuck into it next weekend.

Back