Just when I thought I'd made every mistake possible.......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
I've left taps open, buggered up timings, misread recipes, but my latest effort takes the cake.

Every fortnight I do a 5 litre small batch to either experiment or see if I like a recipe before I brew a large batch.
Tonight I was going to bottle my latest effort in some Grolsch bottles I picked up recently.
I usually sanitise bottles in the dishwasher but it was full, so I put 10 bottles in the oven at 160c

I opened the oven to find a white gooy mess as all the lids had melted.

Now to clean the oven before SWMBO gets home.

Yes, that is a problem.

I messed up SWMBO's stove top last night. Done quite a few yeast starters now with no issue, got cocky last night and of course, boil over, sticky mess.

Ceramic stove top, but a lot of work to get the mess off.

Oh shit that'd piss me off big time not mention the trouble with the better half.
If the house stinks because of it ,which it will,your missus will smell it and your in the dog house.

I have spare Grolsh seals/ caps and wires if you want, P M me your details and I'll sent 10 replacements to get you back on track.

Not sure that sanitising your bottles is really the best way to go to start with.

I can't see a dishwasher getting inside a bottle too much..

You need to realise that bad things and stuff ups happen in patterns of 3.

If you get a 4th stuff up, it's not a continuation of your series of bad luck, but merely the beginning of another series of 3.

Mistakes are what we learn from, this is how I justify constantly making mistakes, I'm forever learning! [emoji2]

I was preoccupied my young boys on brew day and forgot to sanitise the fermenter. It was a Belgian yeast I was using but realised that this funk I was tasting was not right 3 weeks later after bottling entire batch.

MichaelM said:
I was preoccupied my young boys on brew day and forgot to sanitise the fermenter. It was a Belgian yeast I was using but realised that this funk I was tasting was not right 3 weeks later after bottling entire batch.
So you drank the rest to make sure?

Seriously man, starsan is so much easier.

Wash and soak in sodium percarbonate solution, then rinse with a nice foamy starsan solution. Can't go wrong.

Lionman said:
Seriously man, starsan is so much easier.

Wash and soak in sodium percarbonate solution, then rinse with a nice foamy starsan solution. Can't go wrong.
Of course, how silly of me
I look forward to your next syllable with great eagerness

meathead said:
It wasn't meant to be patronising, it was for the benefit of others (and possibly yourself) who may not have experience using these products.

:blink:

meathead said:
Actually he's on the money, I wait with baited breath for your next shoot down of widely accepted good advice.

Back