Just Some Questions Regarding Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewkid

Reaction score
hi guys,

im currently sitting in my mother-in-laws lounge room pondering getting into all grain brewing, im sitting here because the house my family was renting got sold and we are waiting to get another place [thats getting near impossible] but thats enough of that i might get on here one day and have a bit of a blowup about it [sorry guys gotta let off steam somewhere]

all my brewing gear is currently sitting in a storage unit as there is nowhere to brew here.

i am wondering if the 80litre esky that i dont use much would be a suitable mash tun or is it too big?

i only plan on doing single batches once we move but im going to be using kegs for HLT and boiler i think.

i figure since im not paying much rent so we can save for a bond on the new place i should start buying some equipment.

what size ball valves should i get?

is 1/2 inch copper a good size for the tun?

what are some other things i should get?

im going to be building a 3 tier stand and using my old friend gravity.

thanks

hi guys,

im currently sitting in my mother-in-laws lounge room pondering getting into all grain brewing, im sitting here because the house my family was renting got sold and we are waiting to get another place [thats getting near impossible] but thats enough of that i might get on here one day and have a bit of a blowup about it [sorry guys gotta let off steam somewhere]

all my brewing gear is currently sitting in a storage unit as there is nowhere to brew here.

i am wondering if the 80litre esky that i dont use much would be a suitable mash tun or is it too big?

i only plan on doing single batches once we move but im going to be using kegs for HLT and boiler i think.

i figure since im not paying much rent so we can save for a bond on the new place i should start buying some equipment.

what size ball valves should i get?

is 1/2 inch copper a good size for the tun?

what are some other things i should get?

im going to be building a 3 tier stand and using my old friend gravity.

thanks

Homebrewkid,

80lt is pretty big for single batches, you may lose a bit of heat, maybe not. It would be better for doubles or possibly perfect for triple batches.
If you have access to kegs for hlt and boiler (same setup as me), why just do singles? Im 3v, 50lt hlt, 38lt esky, 50lt boiler and only ever brew doubles. Unless its an unknown recipe....
Doubles arent much more effort for twice the goodies.

Use 1/2 inch ballvalves, and 1/2 inch copper manifold. Works well for me. Standard efficiency for me is usually 83% with this setup and my mil set at 1mm gap.

Or just go BIAB, a 40L urn or a keggle is all you need

hi guys,

thanks

I love this line !!!

You can have everything brewing you ever wanted, as long as you stay with Mum-in-law.

Back on topic. Use the big esky. Pre-heat it with some boiling water prior to putting in your mash water. You wont lose much heat.
I use to have a 60L esky, and never lost more that 0.5C over an hour mash regardless of how much or little grain I had in there. If you want more volume, you can increase your water:grain ratio at mash in.
mckenry

Chucking a layer of Alfoil on top of the mash will keep more heat in too, works wonders.

thanks for the ideas guys

i cant stay here to collect brewing equipment im going bloody crazy having nowhere to brew hopefully we will get a place soon

well the idea of collecting gear while living here got blown out the arse.
we got approved for a place but it only has a tiny shed that will become the brew room i think and all my other stuff will go into my garden shed, and under the house with HEAPS of crap i dont really need [excess lawn mowers]
ill have to look at getting power to the little shed...... i wonder what that will cost, its on the other side of the yard might just run a extension lead for now
ill need another fridge as i turfed the old one that wont be hard to find though free fridges everywhere
just going to be doing k&k for a while now been doing that for 10 years anyway and have sorted out what i like so no probs there
at least i wont be living at the inlaws anymore YIPPIE!!!!!

would i be able to run a light and a fridge from one extension lead i dont really see any real problems with that and now im going off topic sort of i know

would i be able to run a light and a fridge from one extension lead i dont really see any real problems with that and now im going off topic sort of i know

I have a 10A extension from an outdoor socket. It runs along the fence and under the eaves of the shed - powers the light, kegerator, laptop and drill press. When I'm brewing I only run the element though...

yeah we sign the lease on wednesday so ill check it out then gotta organise a light anyway, i think there is a double fluoro laying around at work not doing anything ill get that and a couple globes and starters

the bloody tiny shed might even have power [ wishful thinking ]

Back