Just Put My First Brew Down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentonSpear

Reaction score
Coopers Lager.

I need to get some more gear to make things a bit smoother. Like filling the fermenter with 20L of water. I only had a 1L jug so it took a while :angry:

Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting the bubbles I have heard so much about :D

Nothing wrong with that, that is how I used to top up my kits.

A tip: pour the water from a height, so there is plenty of splashing and foam in the fermenter, your yeast can then happily bud away for a few hours, increasing the amount of yeast dramatically.

Jovial Monk

Thanks JM. There was plenty of foam, thats for sure. Now I just have to work out how to use a hydrometer.

Good on you. Don't worry if you don't notice bubbling - just means that the fermenter isn't sealed.

cheers
reg

Well, I have plenty of bubbles now. I get 4 every 10 seconds.

Is it normal for the airlock to have all the water in one side and none in the other? It was originally level on both sides but since the gases have started to escape it has pushed all the water to one side.

Yes that's normal and expected. In fact, with some varieties of yeast and depending on your ingredients, it sometimes blows all the water out of the airlock and you have to keep filling it up until it settles down!

Good to hear Snow. I think I will be filling it up quite a bit as it does blow some water out the top.

Back