Just Out Of Interest...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintRoam

Reaction score
So my second batch (aussie pale ale) has been bottled last night and ready to go! Just a big thanks to everyone for your help in getting there :icon_chickcheers: If only I got get something to fast forward 6 weeks...

Making up my 3rd batch now and im going with the Coopers Canadian Blonde Kit as it was my first and I liked how clear and fruity it tasted, just a few Questions (again :blink: )

1) The kit recommends making it with BE 1 but it seems through reading some of the other threads that you guys recommend BE 2? Which is better?

2) Whats the recommended temp to get the yeast into? They say I think anywhere between 21-27 but isnt it better to go 18ish?

3) Should I stick with making it a 23litre batch as per the kit or is it better to make it slightly less like 21-22 litre flavour wise?

4) Any other tips on making this a cracker more flavoursome brew?

Thanks Guys & keep up the great advice-giving

Luke

So my second batch (aussie pale ale) has been bottled last night and ready to go! Just a big thanks to everyone for your help in getting there :icon_chickcheers: If only I got get something to fast forward 6 weeks...

Making up my 3rd batch now and im going with the Coopers Canadian Blonde Kit as it was my first and I liked how clear and fruity it tasted, just a few Questions (again :blink: )

1) The kit recommends making it with BE 1 but it seems through reading some of the other threads that you guys recommend BE 2? Which is better?

2) Whats the recommended temp to get the yeast into? They say I think anywhere between 21-27 but isnt it better to go 18ish?

3) Should I stick with making it a 23litre batch as per the kit or is it better to make it slightly less like 21-22 litre flavour wise?

Thanks Guys & keep up the great advice-giving

Luke
Just doing some quick answers in point form.
1. Yeah BE2 is better as it has a bit of malt extract in it. 250g? If you want to step up one better than BE2, get 1kg light dried malt extract instead.
2. Good cold winter temperatures for brewing in sydney now! 18c is better.
3. Pft, it's up to you. (it's only a couple of litres difference, just don't go over 23).
4. Well, you can try steeping some grain for it (crystal/carapils), add 12g hops of your choice to it, and use a better yeast than the kit yeast. US05 or S-04 are fantastic choices for starters. Flavourwise you can turn this american, or belgian with ease.

The Canadian Blonde is a great kit for experimenting with. I've made some great framboises out of it. But the first time I dabbled in hop additions it was with this kit and 12g of Goldings. I'll have to revisit a few of these recipes but it's my NYE resolution to go AG all year!

Alot of the time people do 21-22L batches because they are kegging into 19L kegs and don't want any left over afterwards. If you're bottling you don't have this 'problem'

Just doing some quick answers in point form.
1. Yeah BE2 is better as it has a bit of malt extract in it. 250g? If you want to step up one better than BE2, get 1kg light dried malt extract instead.
2. Good cold winter temperatures for brewing in sydney now! 18c is better.
3. Pft, it's up to you. (it's only a couple of litres difference, just don't go over 23).
4. Well, you can try steeping some grain for it (crystal/carapils), add 12g hops of your choice to it, and use a better yeast than the kit yeast. US05 or S-04 are fantastic choices for starters. Flavourwise you can turn this american, or belgian with ease.

The Canadian Blonde is a great kit for experimenting with. I've made some great framboises out of it. But the first time I dabbled in hop additions it was with this kit and 12g of Goldings. I'll have to revisit a few of these recipes but it's my NYE resolution to go AG all year!

Cool thanks mate! is the 1kg light dried malt extract a direct replacement for the BE 2? Excuse my lack of knowledge but dont you need sugar with this and do you add it at the same time? The US05 yeast is it just the same amount added as whats supplied in the kit? Lastly When do you add the 12g hops to it?

I'm excited about this one! :icon_cheers:

Cool thanks mate! is the 1kg light dried malt extract a direct replacement for the BE 2? Excuse my lack of knowledge but dont you need sugar with this and do you add it at the same time? The US05 yeast is it just the same amount added as whats supplied in the kit? Lastly When do you add the 12g hops to it?

I'm excited about this one! :icon_cheers:
With the Light Dried Malt Extract, just put it in place of sugar, the malt is a fermentable sugar, just like dextrose, there are a variety of things you can use, i have been using 50-50 of dextrose and malt extract (light or dark etc) depending on the brew im doing.

With the Light Dried Malt Extract, just put it in place of sugar, the malt is a fermentable sugar, just like dextrose, there are a variety of things you can use, i have been using 50-50 of dextrose and malt extract (light or dark etc) depending on the brew im doing.
That's it. you just use it in place.
The basic recipe is where "kit and kilo" gets it's name from. (and then you can go adding a bit of extra sugar, steeping grain, hops, better yeast to that.
Plenty of recipes here to go trying and experimenting with.

The best brew I've done to date was with this kit and using 500g Dry Amber Malt and 500g Honey. I will make it again but will try some amarillo hops.

bring to the boil 200g of light dried malt in 2L of water - add 30-50g of cascade and boil for 10 minutes. this is a flavour addition

add this to the fermenter then top up to volume with all your other bits. strain if you like, or don't worry about it

bring to the boil 200g of light dried malt in 2L of water - add 30-50g of cascade and boil for 10 minutes. this is a flavour addition

add this to the fermenter then top up to volume with all your other bits. strain if you like, or don't worry about it

I might give this a crack thanks! Just wish I had a LHBS close to me, have to wait to the weekend... Do you just add this mix with the canadian blonde kit at the start in place of the BE 2 then the 23litres water? Whats the pros/cons of straining the mix?

I might give this a crack thanks! Just wish I had a LHBS close to me, have to wait to the weekend... Do you just add this mix with the canadian blonde kit at the start in place of the BE 2 then the 23litres water? Whats the pros/cons of straining the mix?

say you were going to add 500g LDM & 500g dextrose, just take the 200g LDM out of the 500 total. don't expose the LDM to steam or it'll clump up and stick like poo to a blanket. boil it up, add it to the fermentor then add the blonde kit and the rest of your LDM & dex & top up with cold water to your desired volume

and straining just means more fkn around if you ask me

if you can't get anywhere til the weekend consider a mail order with one of the site sponsors, they should be able to get it to you before the weekend

say you were going to add 500g LDM & 500g dextrose, just take the 200g LDM out of the 500 total. don't expose the LDM to steam or it'll clump up and stick like poo to a blanket. boil it up, add it to the fermentor then add the blonde kit and the rest of your LDM & dex & top up with cold water to your desired volume

and straining just means more fkn around if you ask me

if you can't get anywhere til the weekend consider a mail order with one of the site sponsors, they should be able to get it to you before the weekend

Apologies for the repost im slowly getting my head around brewing abbrieviations / terms and im planning to use this recipe as a tester as it looks pretty interesting. Just want to dumb down the process so its clear.

Added Ingriedents - 500g Dextrose 500g / Light Dry Malt / 30-50g Cascade Hops Pellets

So bring to the boil 200G LDM and 2lt water when it hits boil add hops pellets (unbagged?) for 10mins. Pour this into the fermentor with the cascade blonde kit and add the other 300g LDM and the 500g Dextrose. Fill up to 23 litre mark or whatever and I think Im going to finish off by adding the same amount of US05 Yeast as is supplied in the kit around the 18 degree mark. Just want to confirm this all beforeI head down to the LHBS tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!

Luke

Apologies for the repost im slowly getting my head around brewing abbrieviations / terms and im planning to use this recipe as a tester as it looks pretty interesting. Just want to dumb down the process so its clear.

Added Ingriedents - 500g Dextrose 500g / Light Dry Malt / 30-50g Cascade Hops Pellets

So bring to the boil 200G LDM and 2lt water when it hits boil add hops pellets (unbagged?) for 10mins. Pour this into the fermentor with the cascade blonde kit and add the other 300g LDM and the 500g Dextrose. Fill up to 23 litre mark or whatever and I think Im going to finish off by adding the same amount of US05 Yeast as is supplied in the kit around the 18 degree mark. Just want to confirm this all beforeI head down to the LHBS tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!

Luke

you got it. watch your pot closely for boilovers, especially when adding the hops. to avoid / minimise the chance of this occuring turn the heat down once the pot comes to the boil to just maintain it and then add the hops in small increments i.e. a pinch at a time

although, you could probably add the hops before the boil starts though, maybe when the simmer bubbles start forming, just before it starts to boil? probably best for an experienced k&k member to comment on that

hope that makes sense - good luck, space monkey!

Saint roam: There are different 'sugars'.

White sugar is sucrose. Dextrose (often recommended for kit brewing) is a form of glucose. Malt is maltose.

All can be used for brewing but have different effects. When you add malt, you are adding a 'sugar'

Beer is originally made from malted grain which, after undergoing certain processes, provides malt. Your kit tin will contain a syrup made from boiled, reduced malty water to which you then re-add water and some extra sugar.

The sugar can be glucose, maltose or sucrose.

They will all have different effects on the final brew. Maltose is not a direct replacement for sucrose or glucose as not all of it will ferment out. This will mean less alcohol in the final brew unless you use a higher quantity (for example - 1.5 kg instead of 1 kg) but the bits that don't get eaten by yeast can give flavour and body to the brew.

It's all a balancing act to find the right ratio you like.

2x coopers Canadian cans and no added sugar is also worth trying. Toucan it's called.

Saint roam: There are different 'sugars'.

White sugar is sucrose. Dextrose (often recommended for kit brewing) is a form of glucose. Malt is maltose.

All can be used for brewing but have different effects. When you add malt, you are adding a 'sugar'

Beer is originally made from malted grain which, after undergoing certain processes, provides malt. Your kit tin will contain a syrup made from boiled, reduced malty water to which you then re-add water and some extra sugar.

The sugar can be glucose, maltose or sucrose.

They will all have different effects on the final brew. Maltose is not a direct replacement for sucrose or glucose as not all of it will ferment out. This will mean less alcohol in the final brew unless you use a higher quantity (for example - 1.5 kg instead of 1 kg) but the bits that don't get eaten by yeast can give flavour and body to the brew.

It's all a balancing act to find the right ratio you like.

Thanks for expaining it, makes more sense now! Went down to the LHBS last night and stocked up on some tips and supplies. Im going to have a crack at this recipe and see how it turns out..

Coopers Canadian Blonde
US05
Cascade Hops bag
100g Pilsner boiled out for 1/2 hour
LHBS special blend Dextrose/Light Dry Malt & I think a hint of Corn for the head retention?

Should be interesting anyways is all trial and error. Cant be worse than my stock Aussie Pale ale kit I just bottled! :beerbang:

and thanks Anofre I'm going to give toucans a shot, been reading about it a bit. Basics first though.

Thanks for expaining it, makes more sense now! Went down to the LHBS last night and stocked up on some tips and supplies. Im going to have a crack at this recipe and see how it turns out..

Coopers Canadian Blonde
US05
Cascade Hops bag
LHBS special blend Dextrose/Light Dry Malt & I think a hint of Corn for the head retention?

Should be interesting anyways is all trial and error. Cant be worse than my stock Aussie Pale ale kit I just bottled! :beerbang:

and thanks Anofre I'm going to give toucans a shot, been reading about it a bit. Basics first though.
Don't boil the grain... it releases tannins, or something... I'll let someone with more knowhow (and time) to explain.
If anything, steep it, strain it, then boil that strained water after it (I never really bothered boiling it, just tipped it in the fermenter, but that's just me being lazy)

Here's the info from the articles section (above) on steeping grains.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=80

Coopers Canadian Blonde
US05
Cascade Hops bag

what is the '100g Pilsner' you are boiling, if its grain dont boil the grain only the liquid after steeping.

what is the '100g Pilsner' you are boiling, if its grain dont boil the grain only the liquid after steeping.

Yeah just had a read through of the "steeping" thread, picked up a 100g bag of I guess pilsner grain? Although it looks more like little flowers to me. Makes sense, just soak in hot water for 1/2hr then rinse over with hot water and bring that liquid to the boil for sterilisation. Easy.

Guess when I bring the liquid to the boil I can throw in the Cascade hops bag for 5mins? Wouldnt hurt right? Then chuck it all in the fermintor.

Yeah just had a read through of the "steeping" thread, picked up a 100g bag of I guess pilsner grain? Although it looks more like little flowers to me. Makes sense, just soak in hot water for 1/2hr then rinse over with hot water and bring that liquid to the boil for sterilisation. Easy.

Guess when I bring the liquid to the boil I can throw in the Cascade hops bag for 5mins? Wouldnt hurt right? Then chuck it all in the fermintor.

sounds good mate. try and get your water about 65c---2 parts boiling and 1 part tap water will get you close if you dont have a thermometer

sounds good mate. try and get your water about 65c---2 parts boiling and 1 part tap water will get you close if you dont have a thermometer

Is that 65c for soaking the grain? Or when you boil with the hops? Also whats the best temps to add the yeast in on? Around 20ish?

Back