Just How Hot Is Hot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
Quick question, people always refer to "hot" wort, and the issues with aerating it, and achieving the cold break.
Now, exactly how hot is hot? How cool do you need to make it before starting to splash it into the fermenter?

Not sure on what is classed as hot but I don't aerate or splash until my wort is down to mid 20's.
If i remember I will check a few books I have at home tonight

Hoops

I read in discussions on ocb that 40C is the "hot" of "hot side aeration".
I think the actual temp is higher, but 40 is a "safe enough" distance to avoid problems. I think it has to do with the temperature at which lipids oxidise.

The risk of HSA drops once you get the wort below 60C. PoMo is right in that 40C is relatively "safe" but of course, it's still too hot for yeast additions. I would not aerate until I got the wort down to the temp that the yeast is going to be pitched into.
Most books I've read refer to "hot" wort as anything above 140F / 60C.
Cheers,
TL

Trough Lolly said:
The risk of HSA drops once you get the wort below 60C. PoMo is right in that 40C is relatively "safe" but of course, it's still too hot for yeast additions. I would not aerate until I got the wort down to the temp that the yeast is going to be pitched into.
Most books I've read refer to "hot" wort as anything above 140F / 60C.
Cheers,
TL
I only do extract, and just started partials, so i'm adding a fair amount of water to my wort. If i only have to get it to 40C before i splash it into the fermenter, that's faily easy to obtain. Getting to 20C without a wort chiller, seems to take forever.

jgriffin , i stop cooling my wort when it gets to the mid-30ies. I then aerate. I have notice no problems.

Latest posts

Back