Just had my first bottle gushers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beil

Reaction score
I think I've figured this one out, but just wanted some clarification.

I've got a raspberry Brown ale in bottles.
FG of 1.01, in bottles since 18/2/17
A few bottles that's I've drank were fine.
But I've just opened two in a row that gushed.

I've just checked the gravity after drinking and degassing the second gusher (the first one took me by surprise after I just got home from work and made a ******* mess, atleast it was only the kitchen counter and floor!)

The gravity is still at 1.01, which if I'm understanding would be lower if a wild bacteria had gotten inside and started eating residual sugars.

Did a quick Google if all gushers are infection, apparently not.
I bulk primed to 2.6Vol.
Like I said a few were fine, but came across a comment that noted that nucleation points can add to gushing effects..
This is where I noted that the two bottles that gushed had more than an acceptable amount of raspberry debris in; I wasn't too fussed about sucking this down when priming and bottling as I didn't think it would have any adverse affects and I would simply be able to pour and leave it behind as with the yeast layer I'm bottles- of course I avoided it best I could.

Basically, just want confirmation that these bits of raspberry are likely the cause of these gushers, which if I do another one I will take note of and try to avoid bottling any.

I get a good whirlpool motion when I bulk prime and 'believe' this mixes the dextrose solution well enough.

Yep, sediment, hop material and other potential nucleation points can definitely lead to gushers. Sounds like it's very unlikely you'll experience bottle bombs, but keep them in mind. They're nothing to **** with. There's a big difference between breaking glass and exploding glass.

Seems likely to be the case IMO, anecdotally I can relate that there seems to be a threshold for particulates such as raspberry debris in your case, or dry hops in mine, where you are always going to get a gusher, seemingly due to nucleation points. Seems more problematic or common though at higher level of carbonation, which is logical.
Inconsistent levels of debris also confound the issue, but I think you're aware of that.

All the gushers i have come across have been due to some sort of 'floater', usually hop matter.

Yep I have had them when siphoning from a massively dry hopped IPA and the ones that got too much hop matter were explosive.

BTW whirlpooling your bulk prime is a great way to oxidise the shit out of your beer.

Last night I opened the final long neck from a batch and it sever gushed while the other 22 (or whatever it was) were fine . it had been in the bottles for about 3 months

luckily was close enough to the sink and had to pour it. shame . I like to enjoy the last one from a batch

I put it down to maybe I didn't clean that bottle well enough and it had some gunk in the bottom

I went through a stage where I cleaned my bottles with plain napisan.
No matter how well I rinsed them, there always seemed to be some residual in the bottles, even though it couldn't be detected by plain sight, but enough to cause gushing, which was a pain in the proverbial.
I now clean my bottles with Brewclean (bought at the HB shop in Port Macqaurie) and use a bottle brush. A decent rinse after that has solved my problem.
I believe any bit of crud left in a bottle will enhance the opportunity to develop a gusher. Obvious beer stone deposits also will potentially do the same.

I also find that chilling my bottles for at least 24 hours in the fridge before consumption makes a difference. I guess the colder temperature allows the beer to get the Co2 back into solution instead of pressurising the space at the top of the bottle.

Droopy Brew said:
Yep I have had them when siphoning from a massively dry hopped IPA and the ones that got too much hop matter were explosive.

BTW whirlpooling your bulk prime is a great way to oxidise the shit out of your beer.
When I say whirlpooling, I mean the hose is curled around the bottom, and the action of the wort entering the bucket moves it in a circle- I don't use a spoon to whirlpool the shit out of it like in the kettle to build a mound of trub.

Unless this is still likely to oxidise the beer? I had read that allowing the beer to move itself in a circle was a better way to mix the priming solution than using a spoon and possibly splashing.

As for the gushers, learnt something new and will just need to take note.

Back