Just Had A Omg Moment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droughtmaster

Reaction score
<h6 class="uiStreamMessage" data-ft="{"type":1}">just had a OMG monent
been brewing beer for awhile now and tonight had my dream come true on the packet of hops i use its says its a SIMCOE hop but smooth bitterness with full passionfruit and fresh pine aroma hop ..............wel i just poured a beer from my homebrew and it was pine smelling and tasted like someone threw a passionfruit in my mouth omg never ever tasted like that god im gojng back for another one :)</h6>

.....reading brewing notes added also 7g of galaxy cant really taste the galaxy but can feel its influence its like salt on ya chop just a bit tastes nice as compared to without .. in this case its lifted the simcoe to new heights here anyway

I've got a pack of Simcoe, haven't used yet. I might single hop my next American Wheat and see what I get.

simcoe = flavour. I was only on nikobrew moments ago looking where i can get decently priced simcoe in bulk. its like hens teeth.

simcoe = flavour. I was only on nikobrew moments ago looking where i can get decently priced simcoe in bulk. its like hens teeth.

We'll actually have 2011 Crop Simcoe online this week in full pounds. As for decently priced thats for you to determine :p It's going to be spendy ($37.50/lb) as we have a limited supply and it cost us a lot of money to get ahold of.

I bought 500gms of Amarillo and 600gms of Simcoe for $77 from ESB Brewing in Sydney. Both 2011 harvest. I was staying just up the road so I saved on freight costs, just walked over and picked them up :icon_cheers:

I tried a trial batch of LCPA at the LC brewery last year that was dry hopped with lots of Simcoe........ AWSOME hop!

recently dry hopped my APA with a 50/50 mix of Simcoe and Amarillo at day 3 of primary...... worked out fantastic.

cheers

I tried a trial batch of LCPA at the LC brewery last year that was dry hopped with lots of Simcoe........ AWSOME hop!

recently dry hopped my APA with a 50/50 mix of Simcoe and Amarillo at day 3 of primary...... worked out fantastic.

cheers

I've been knocking out several different combos using Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus, Cascade. Getting into the American beers lately, no doubt I'll get one down pat and my hops will run out and I won't be able to source them again until next season.....

So far all of them have turned out very drinkable!

It's a great hop, as long as you don't mind pine needles :)

Been hard to find at a good price for a couple of years, good to know there may be some 2011 stuff at a reasonable price

It's my favourite US hop, no contest. Works really well as a single hop to give tropical fruit and pine and combined with cascade or amarillo late in the boil, it's just awesome :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I have recently run out :(

It's a great hop but for me I think it really shines when it's mixed with something else. I've done the single hop thing and enjoyed it but when it's paired with some cascade or some galaxy it's awesome :icon_drool2:

We'll actually have 2011 Crop Simcoe online this week in full pounds. As for decently priced thats for you to determine :p It's going to be spendy ($37.50/lb) as we have a limited supply and it cost us a lot of money to get ahold of.

Cheers Niko! Looks like a somewhat decent price compared to anything local (essentially double in price of what you can offer.) Got any other hops coming up soon? Before i decide to take a diveoff the deep end i might as well buy up big! ;)

Cheers Niko! Looks like a somewhat decent price compared to anything local (essentially double in price of what you can offer.) Got any other hops coming up soon? Before i decide to take a diveoff the deep end i might as well buy up big! ;)

Yikes! Who's selling it for $70 a pound?

It's a great hop, as long as you don't mind pine needles :)

My thoughts exactly. I prefer it with a few other hops in APAs to impart that resiney flavour that most good APAs have ... but by itself it gets too much.

Come to think of it - the only hop I like as the sole hop in an APA is Citra.

I brewed a single hop beer with Simcoe not long ago just to see what it was like. I certainly prefer it with some other hops thrown into the mix. Brewed with Simcoe last night but used Amarillo for the late additions, looking forward to sampling.

Nothing planned anytime very soon. In a couple weeks I hope to have room at our retail website warehouse for some 2011 Crop Hallertauer MF, Herkules and and Tettnanger.. I thought Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra were more urgent to stock than those though :) We're growing so quickly it's honestly been difficult to have enough freezer space :) I run a warehouse in Idaho where I store a lot of hops that I ship directly to breweries and some that I ship to our retail warehouse in Washington where my brother in law ships all your hops from. His freezers are jam packed but later this year we plan on being able to literally double his space.. I know that's more info than you asked for, just a little behind the scenes info :)

If you add yourself to our email newsletter list which is on the left hand side of every page of our site you will be notified as soon as Simcoe is ready to order. I'm shipping a box of it to our Washington (aka Niko North) warehouse today, it should be there and packed Wednesday, so will probably be online Thursday.

Latest posts

Back