Just Found Out I Have Coeliac Disease

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
About two hours ago i found out I have Coeliac disease. Which means I can't have gluten...... which is found in barley...... which as you all know is beer's main ingredient. :( Not too worry I haven't got any symptoms so i will keep drinking beer!!! :) But I will need to start making gluten free beer soon so does anyone know where I can get ingredients or recipes.

Don't cry for me, have a beer for me.

Scotty

Bad luck mate :( I'm having a beer for you right now - a Helles.

Best of luck,

Shawn.

There is a guy on OZcraftbrewer who makes Gluten free beer.

Put a post on there

Ken..

Scotty, that sucks mate :( If you post on the Craftbrewer site there are a couple of brewers there who gluten free brew, do a search and there are heaps of links http://oz.craftbrewer.org/

good luck
Andrew

Sorry to hear Scotty.

'Robert the Gluten free brewer' was here for a while too. Look him up in the board members and drop him an email.

Beers,
Doc

My son is in the same boat. Hence I have looked into it a bit (he'll turn 18 one day).

Grain and grape sell amarinth and sorgum malt which is the base of alot of gluten free brews. Gluten is only found in the four cereal grain Barley, wheat, oats and Rye. So adjunt rich or pure beers are the go.

Also do a search on Silly Yaks.

Trouble with it is that even though you have no symptoms now if left untold you can end up with many complications down the track. It really does suck.

Comiserations

Borret

Chin up Scotty.

More than one way to skin a cat. Sounds like you're getting some pretty good advice already.

Warren -

My dad only got diagnosed when he was 50 and im only 18 so I hope I have 32 beer filled years to come, hahaha. Thanks for the help guys.

Scotty

gee bad news there scotty.
if its any help dave ex goliaths was chasing up some gluten free brewing recipes/kits for his shop some time ago.hes now in melbourne but occasionally comes back online so may be worth a chat to for ideas.

cheers
big d

Scotty
All is not lost. I have recently had to make a few changes to my diet to fit in with my wife & daughter. We have been an egg & peanut free house for about 8 months & recently went gluten free as a way of helping to manage my wifes CFS and it has had great results.
There are so many gluten free products on the market now, and they are not as bad as I thought they might be. The pasta is great, but gluten free bread goes mouldy very quickly & is bloody expensive, so a bread maker is a good investment & makes the house smell great.
There have been no sacrafices in the beer fridge, but I would like to have a try of a few stubbies of a commercial gluten free beer.
Cheers
Gerard

Isn't there also a debate about how much Gluten actually makes it into finished beer as well. I remember reading something about it a while ago ???? Will try and remember where it was.

Plastic Man said:
Isn't there also a debate about how much Gluten actually makes it into finished beer as well. I remember reading something about it a while ago ???? Will try and remember where it was.
[post="77489"][/post]​

Gluten is actually the name given to the protein found in Wheat, barley, oats and rye. So it definately is still in beer. Whiskey has none as it is distilled. There are also specific yeasts that are grown on non malt based culturing mediums to avoid it being caried over in the yeast. This might seem overkill but some people are that sensitive. If my young bloke eats hot chips from a takaway (who use freah potato's, not prepacked coated ones) where they are cooked in the same oil as battered fish etc he's up all night screaming and kicking from stomach cramps. Nasty stuff. Not everyone is that way. Alot of the course of action comes from your sensitivity to it.
No matter how you look at it the situation is a pain in the butt. Ther are alot of good alternatves available but from what I have read of teh beer.... it's just not beer.

Borret

I've had a O'Brien Pale ale once before and its not that bad. Kind of not really like a beer but if its all you could drink then you would.
(http://www.gfbeer.com.au/)

As borret said G&G have some GF malts to make GF beer with. I'd be interested to see how it turned out if someone makes it. The person who gave me the O'Briens PA found out about it and wants me to make some up.

Yep I am suppose to be gluten free, and I am for most things except you guessed it, Beer. I am weak what can I say. I remember trying buckwheat a few times, only to find out I might be gluten intolllerant but, buckwheat makes my guts explode. I have not tried sorgum evidently the base malt for most african beers.

johnno said:
Thats bad news allright Scotty.
Like borrett metioned earlier Sily Yaks some good stuff about it.
http://www.sillyyak.com.au/beer/index.html

Even tells you how to malt the grain and how to brew with it.

johnno
[post="77455"][/post]​
I have tried some of Roberts beer. I think it was Aztec gold. My guess is that you will want to work with yeast or hop driven beers because you can't expect much (any?) malt flavour.

Andrew L.'s GF belgian wit scored well in Beerfest this year.

BrissyBrew said:
Yep I am suppose to be gluten free, and I am for most things except you guessed it, Beer. I am weak what can I say. I remember trying buckwheat a few times, only to find out I might be gluten intolllerant but, buckwheat makes my guts explode. I have not tried sorgum evidently the base malt for most african beers.
[post="78059"][/post]​
Briz,

Interesting that you say that buckwheat makes your gut's explode. Unlike sorgum etc. -as far as the research I have done buckwheat is actually the seed(?)of a herb rather than a cereal grain and most definately contains nothing that resembles gluten. May have just been a reaction to it specically.

Borret

Latest posts

Back