Just Bottled - Very Sweet Tasting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maldridge

Reaction score
Hey all, just following on from another thread I made regarding bulk priming and bottling temperatures.
I bottled tonight, bulk primed, with a priming solution with the calculated amount of 124g dextrose, for my 24L brew, aiming for 2.2 vol CO2. I bottled at around 10 deg as I had just finished my cold conditioning and was just bringing the temp up a bit.
I made my solution, put it in the bottom of my bottling vessel, then racked onto my solution, I gave it a good (but gentle) stirring during the racking process.
Now, after finishing bottling, my mate and I tasted the last bit that was left over.
It tasted very sweet, and almost a tad chemically. I only used the recommended amount of defender (I think that's it's name, no rinse cleaner from G+G). It smelt fine however.
So I'm not sure what's going on here? Am I going to have bottle bombs and/or shit beer?
Does that sweetness disappear as the bottle carbonates??

Sweetness probally from priming sugar
Depending on FG
My experience from bulk priming is if you go by fermenter graduations
Is that they are wrong and you will have either under /over carbed beer
Been a while since i have bottled but i gave up bulk priming quickly
for this reason

Hey all, just following on from another thread I made regarding bulk priming and bottling temperatures.
I bottled tonight, bulk primed, with a priming solution with the calculated amount of 124g dextrose, for my 24L brew, aiming for 2.2 vol CO2. I bottled at around 10 deg as I had just finished my cold conditioning and was just bringing the temp up a bit.
I made my solution, put it in the bottom of my bottling vessel, then racked onto my solution, I gave it a good (but gentle) stirring during the racking process.
Now, after finishing bottling, my mate and I tasted the last bit that was left over.
It tasted very sweet, and almost a tad chemically. I only used the recommended amount of defender (I think that's it's name, no rinse cleaner from G+G). It smelt fine however.
So I'm not sure what's going on here? Am I going to have bottle bombs and/or shit beer?
Does that sweetness disappear as the bottle carbonates??

Yes.
The yeasties eats the sugars and makes bubbles. (and alcohol)
All good.

Sweetness probally from priming sugar
This.

Depending on FG
My experience from bulk priming is if you go by fermenter graduations
Is that they are wrong and you will have either under /over carbed beer
Been a while since i have bottled but i gave up bulk priming quickly
for this reason
Been bulk priming for 5 years (give or take) without hassle personally. Not knocking you helles, just saying that I don't think yours is necessarily a universal problem. Just got to work out appropriate carbonation for style and how different priming sugars behave. I wonder if different fermenter manufacturers might be the reason behind it? Anyway...

I won't hijack this to bulkpriming, there are already millions of threads on it.

Cheers.

Back