Just Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasabi

Reaction score
Guys,

Just curious if it's just homebrew you're all into, or are there other things you like to make from scratch and cut out the commercial producers?

Apart from beer, my wife and I also make our own bread (can't remember the last time we bought bread), pickles, jams and ice cream. I also recently got into cheese making.

I'm not talking about Nimbin style self sufficiency but things where you get personal satisfaction from doing it your self (eg, paper, candles, honey, distilling, wine, meat preservation etc...ect)

Just curious?

I make my own fishing rods not because i can make cheap rods, but i can buy the finnest blanks and craft up rods worth $1000 and it only cost me $350 + days of effort. Also can craft it to my needs

problem is like brewing i collect way to much stuff like rod laths and expoys etc

i make my own music does that count. via a huge ass marshall stack and PC. quite often at all hours of the nite after a sample of some 'Adelaide home grown hops'.
i have a veggie patch going but it just takes too much water to be worth while, its quite dry in adelaide most of the year.

Cheese making and bread making line up well with beer making. Maybe down the track i would love to give it ago.

have you tried making sour dough bread wasabi.
just culture your own yeast from something in the back yard like the yeast found on the skin of grapes.

We used to make our own bread, but don't really have the time anymore.

We have a herb/vege patch (we both love fresh basil, corriander, thyme and chillis with tomato's, cucumber, silver beet and pak-choi)

I think the biggest reason I brew my own beer is that satisfaction you get when you make a cracker and your mates say "put me on the list next time you want to make one". These are the bolkes that get to sample them first. Thats what I love.

make our own
Beer
Wine
Beef Jerky
Pickles , Sauces etc.
and grow vegies, Paw Paws and bananas
All while working 12 hours shifts
And yes in a couple of years will be the tree huggers Nimbin style

Oh and our own bread
Never buy that store crap

beer and berad seem to be popular.
but i must confess, i use a bread making machine.
chuck in the flour, water & yeast and leave for 4 hrs.

presetting to finish in the morning as i get out of bed for some great freshly cooked bread is great.

cheers
crackers

I wish I found the time to make half the stuff you guys do. As it is a single hangover can throw my brewing out by a week.

have you guys tried chucking some spend grain from the mash in there or anything like that. for sour dough i wonder how well it would work if you left the spent grain out over nite then added it to the dough.

you can't really get two things more interwoven beer/bread.
these are the bases of modern society dating back over 5000 years.
Beer did come first before real fermented dough bread.
the story goes in babalon 5000 years ago an scantily glad woman who just finished making beer. Passed by some men while thay were making bread.
They left the dough for days while their attention was else where on the women and her lovely intoxicating drink. When they finally got to the bread it had increased in size and they were'nt sure what to do so they baked it anyway.
They ended with the best bread they had ever made.

these were possibly reasonably nomadic people relly on natures resources. The nomads found they needed to stay put to store and grow there own ingredients plus make it. they couldn't keep up supply harvesting wild grain and they needed to have enough to last all year.
anyway modern society was born.

sorry it must be triva day on AHB.

Thankyou Jayse

I think ?
:blink: :blink:
:ph34r: :ph34r:

Beer and scantily clad ladies. The necessities haven't changed much over the last several thousand years.

jayse said:
you can't really get two things more interwoven beer/bread.
these are the bases of modern society dating back over 5000 years.
There is a German saying, that I can't recall the original of, that basically goes
"Any town with a brewery has no need for a bakery".

Apart from that I have not much to contribute to this thread. I like making things, DIY and so on, and grow the odd bit of veg and am self sufficient in chillis and herbs, but not anything substantial.

and toes without fungus and ya not in the tropics
:D :D

We make our own yoghurt even though we use the EasiYo method. Just add water. Tastes great though.
Make our own olives. Yum.
Missus makes great bread. Anyone tried using brewers yeast? Cant convince her yet.
Looking at making cheese.

Oh .. and the missus makes the BEST pizzas.

cheers B)

I am growing my own hops, although i doubt it will ever manage to supply my needs :)

i also hope to one day build my own car... not quite from scratch, but close..

we grow our own veges & herbs.We also keep sheep & pigs.We keep sheep all the time & we buy suckers & fatten them up & either have a party with a pig spit. Goes great with H.B. or let it grow out to a porker or baconer & I butcher them . Once every 18 months we get a poddy calf & fatten upI have a coolroom so storage isn't a problem I also have a commercial smokehouse out the back so we make bacon & ham. We also smoke trout,salmon, chicken, beef ,lamb ,whatever

I make my own bullets from car tyre wheel weights. Just melt them, pour in a mould, a bit of prep and I'm right for a weekend and the rifle range.
Also make my own spirits, beef jerky, grow veges/herbs etc.

I grow a lot of my own veggies & herbs

My fave tomato is the Tommy Toe, an old, non-hybrid cherry tomato.

When we have way too may to eat I just cut them in half, spread them on an old screen door suspended between two chairs or something, sundry them 2-3 days, put them in a colander and pour 2L boiling water through them, then put in oil.

The best sundried tomatoes available!

Jovial Monk

hoops.
bullets, spirits and jerky.
do you live on copperhead road.

Back