Just Ask!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
This cost me ten brews

gas_bottle2.JPG

OK.... Linz it is a CO2 Fire extinguisher...

Is this going to become your CO2 bottle for kegging...

On the topic of "Just Ask"

Did you end up asking Kookaburra gas for a cheap Rubbermaid Cooler?

and this..

yep..will attach a regulator to it...and thats a 750ml bottle next to it

and sorry GMK not yet

fridge_1.JPG

guys feel free to clip them photos down............................................................................
............................please :(

Linz, was it difficult to attach a regulator to the extinguisher? Assume you get the extinguisher refilled at the place of purchase?

tony

Just been investigating this today. Tonydav, attaching the reg is a piece of homebrew. It just screws right on, you'll understand when you see it. This is definitely the way to go in my opinion, I hope the fire extinguisher isn't too dear though. I was dreading having to pay the ball shrinking prices that BOC and Air Liquide charge for the rental, so I'm more than happy for an upfront fee then happy days will follow.

Cheers. JD

Does anyone know how much a CO2 tank (9kg or smaller) or a fire extinguisher costs? New or Used, and how much is a refill? I used to rent a CO2 tank from BOC back in the early 90's but it escapes me how much they charged me for the rental or refills.

New 3.5kg CO2 extinguisher is $230+GST from Wormald, 5kg is $250 + GST. Also got prices from another place they were $276 and $295 respectfully, GST included.

So a bit steep first up but I guess worth it in the long run. 2.5 years of use and you have covered it. Don't know about the refill yet. I'm going to try and find a second hand one, will need to get it tested but should be worth it still providing it passes.

Cheerio. JD

guys,

E-mail me with the prices you have been quoted for your extinguishers,including size(usually 2.0,3.5,5.0 kg,the latter being the better/bigger). I'll see what sort of prices I can get.(see www.fmsservices.com.au)

That puppy up there is a 10.0 kg and came fitted with the valve(a bit sturdier than the o-ring on the spindle in the handle). Haven't tried to fit a reg to it as yet.

extinguishers require a pressure test every 6 years.

Interesting

but who refills a fire extinguisher? Not BOC etc i bet!

hate paying $95/year rental

Look up "Fire Protection" in your local Yellow pages, or failing that just "Fire extinguishers"

rental has got to be in the top 10 homebrew pains.but then again its alot cheaper than using your labour or others to clean and fill bottles.
i know which one i prefer at the mo

Guys, isn't there a difference between the CO2 in an extinguisher and the "food grade" CO2 needed for kegging? I thought I read something somewhere once....

Costs from my local fire extinguisher supply company:

Bottle (5kg) about $120 + fittings on the top ($??)
Gas refills - $50

From my local gas co:

Rental - 10kg - $84/yr
- 22kg - $90/yr

Gas refill - 10kg - $35
- 22kg - $48

This mob aren't charging a 'security deposit' which at $300 made it a bit of a joke.

Working on about one 10kg bottle a year the gas for the 5kg fire extinguisher was going to cost me about $100 year vs about $24/year for the 22kg (I have a ute so easy enough to transport).

Add in the rental and the 22kg works out at about $114/year and I don't have to buy a bottle or get it certified etc. Hence decided to go this way - might have been different if I could have bought a 10kg extinguisher bottle or the refill costs were a bit more reasonable.

tony

tonydav

If you live near Canberra - there is a guy that sells CO2 gas bottles -9kg- with decant refills for $100.00 ea.....no rent - includes a $50.00 deposit.

Then it is $50.00 to refill.

That would almost be worth doing. Canberra's only a couple of hours away. I'll keep this in mind as I have a couple of friends who will be kegging soon.

tony

GMK,

Who is the guy in Canberra? Do you have phone numbers etc?

Popsy

I bought a co2 cylinder a few years back. It is an airliquide cylinder so all I do is give it to a mate with a airliquide account and swap 1 for 1. No rent, just give the mate an extra $5.
Beats paying BOC rent!

popsy said:
GMK,

Who is the guy in Canberra? Do you have phone numbers etc?

Popsy
Check out the yellow pages.

he is listed as Pub Gas.

Just give him a ring.

It is a special deal that he does for homebrewers.

Back