July Meeting Pale Ale Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this stage we are at the Gertrude again, July 29, 7PM. Depending on their preference we may be supplying our own glassware and pitchers as last meeting they kept steeling away the pint glasses and many of us were forced to use tumblers ...

At this stage Im hopeful of being a virgin attendee for the next meeting.

Im one of those "I really should go along to one of the local brew clubs one day" kinda guy, and being smack in the middle of you guys and Westgate, you new kids on the block dont seem quite so scary :)

Wont have much to contribute to the first meeting except for my naivety and thirst, but looking forward to it!

Cheers

Baz

No way Baz, you'll be contributing your carefully-honed Pale Ale palate ... just don't expect to leave sober, after tasting over ten finely-tuned ales!

Speaking of which, TimT and I put down a pale ale on the weekend that should be ready if all goes well by the 29th:
  • Simcoe Nelson APA - Kris (RelaxedBrewer): AG. American
  • Englishish PA - Kris (RelaxedBrewer): AG English
  • Aussie Mega Swill - Kris (RelaxedBrewer): AG Australian
  • Cascade APA - Declan :)'): AG American
  • Pacific Ale Clone - Dan (BreadMurderer): AG: Australian
  • Expat Special Bitter - Kevin :)->): AG: English
  • Agave Pale Ale - Luke (Forever Wort): Partial & Extract. English
  • Schooner Pale - Luke/Tim (Forever Wort/TimT): AG:
  • 52 States APA - Mark (Spiesy): AG American
  • Euro APA - Jes (mugley): AG American
  • Pale Ale - Shannon (Wolfman): AG Unknown
I will start contacting people to organise the collection/delivery of their bottles next week.

If anyone's beers are already ready and you are passing through Richmond over the next fortnight you can drop them off at my place. PM me if you don't know my address.

Hey guys, just getting back into brewing after a short break. Working on putting together my electric brewery to make the switch to AG. Currently bunking down in Heidelberg whilst our house in Preston is being built and was looking around for a 'local' brew club and came across MM. What's the deal with rocking up at this July meet to say howdy and check things out?

Crouch said:
Hey guys, just getting back into brewing after a short break. Working on putting together my electric brewery to make the switch to AG. Currently bunking down in Heidelberg whilst our house in Preston is being built and was looking around for a 'local' brew club and came across MM. What's the deal with rocking up at this July meet to say howdy and check things out?
The deal is you're more than welcome to rock up, mate.

Hey guys! I'm adding a strange creation for the next meeting. Luke, let me know when you would like a few bottles dropped off. Looking forward to this tasting! :)

• Aoetearoa Steam Ale - Mattias (Swedebeer): AG New Zealand

I have an Australian Pale (with a touch of England from some wayward English hops and MJ British Ale yeast) that should be ready, I'm about to keg it today. I'm cutting it fine, is it OK if I bring it on the night if its good to go?

• Aoetearoa Steam Ale - Mattias (Swedebeer): AG New Zealand
  • Posh Australian - Mark (going down a hill): Australian Pale Ale AG

I have 2 kegs of a simple American Pale Ale going into kegs in the next day or two, happy to bring some along. Its a simple DME with Crystal kit from Keg King. Don't want it in the comp, but happy to bring some for the sake of contributing.

going down a hill said:
I have an Australian Pale (with a touch of England from some wayward English hops and MJ British Ale yeast) that should be ready, I'm about to keg it today. I'm cutting it fine, is it OK if I bring it on the night if its good to go?
Of course it would be awesome if you can bring your posh beer along to the meeting, Mark. If it is ready by then just rock up with it.

The idea with offering an earlier collection run and drop-off depot is simply to make the meeting more convenient for members as lugging two (or more) litres of beer to a meeting after work can be annoying.

swedebeer said:
Luke, let me know when you would like a few bottles dropped off. Looking forward to this tasting! :)
Whenever is convenient for you! Just shoot me a PM of when you're thinking and we'll go from there.

Crouch said:
I have 2 kegs of a simple American Pale Ale going into kegs in the next day or two, happy to bring some along. Its a simple DME with Crystal kit from Keg King. Don't want it in the comp, but happy to bring some for the sake of contributing.
Sounds good mate, add it to the list and we'll get into it :beerbang:

Less than a week to go.
  • Englishish PA - Kris (RelaxedBrewer): AG. English
  • Aussie Mega Swill - Kris (RelaxedBrewer): AG. Australian
  • Pacific Ale Clone - Dan (BreadMurderer): AG. Australian
  • Expat Special Bitter - Kevin :)->): AG. English
  • Agave Pale Ale - Luke (Forever Wort): Partial. English
  • Lemon Schooner - Luke/Tim (Forever Wort/TimT): AG. Australian
  • 52 States APA - Mark (Spiesy): AG. American
  • Euro APA - Jes (mugley): AG. American
  • Pale Ale - Shannon (Wolfman): AG. Unknown
  • Aoetearoa Steam Ale - Mattias (Swedebeer): AG. New Zealand
  • Posh Australian - Mark (going down a hill): AG. Australian
I will be collecting beers from participating Merri Mashers on Saturday morning, 11AM - 12PM.

If you want me to collect yours send me a PM with your details.

:)

BreadMurderer said:
The selection of beers is looking fantastic! :beerbang:
It certainly does! The question is how much choc malt did you accidentally on purpose add to your Pacific Ale clone? :D

I was going to bring a ripper IPA... Unfortunately, I couldn't stop myself from drinking the last bottle.

Well I have done the nice thing and have been holding back on mine :p
(seriously my last APA and EPA bottles are being held for the comps..... taking a lot if will power).

How is this comp going to work? Should I print out the style guide lines so people have something to guide them when judging? Or are we just going with what ever we like the most?

It is going to be much more casual than the Temple tasting, primarily as we don't have the same table set-up at the Gertrude so it will be tricky to steward and use pens etc.

It will probably be something like: each brewer pours his beer out to members' glasses, then members discuss and give feedback, then brewer discusses his recipe etc. Move on to the next brewer/beer.

The feedback should still be useful and I am sure the crowd favourites will be urged to enter into the Pale Ale comp the following weekend.

(Which by the way I am driving to so if any members are definitely coming and want a lift let me know at the meeting).

Meeting tonight! We've got a few exciting announcements re: our equipment library, recent comps entered by members, etc, and then on to the tasting! See everyone there! Exclamation mark!

I'm a duffer, forgot to mention the time of the meeting - 7 pm at the Gertrude!

All still looking good to make my virgin attendance at this stage. Will probably be closer to 7.30 by the time I get there after still trying keep my father of the year status intact (which depending on what time I get home I might need......)

I presume I just keep a look out for the bunch of destitute looking alco's who are sitting in the corner drinking the beer they've brought with them!?

:) Baz

Back