Juice and strain - HomeFarmer magazine, UK – “Easy Cider”, a pho

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much for sharing your recipe. I just did something like this (albeit a small batch of 1.6L) with S-33 Yeast.

Out of 40KG of apples, approximately how many litres did you get?

In all 15 + batches that we have made, we have obtained a 60 - 65% yield by weight of juice. In the case of our video we ended up with enough juice to fill 5 one gallon demijohns ( approx. 22.5 litres) plus some fresh apple juice left over for immediate consumption.

I do about 50-60kg/year and end up with around 30-40l of juice. I have a very serious juicer though. Most juicers are lower yield.

My yield will be lower when I build a press but it will be a much faster process.

Cheers
Dave

Next year I'm pressing a couple of tons. Don't care what juicer you use that's going to be painful.

And I suspect a press will be cheaper than buying a bank of juicers. I can get a mate to weld it up out of I beams for a case of homebrew and the cost of materials. Power provided by a 5t bottle jack from the auto parts shop.

Its a nice video but the method is not exactly revolutionaly.

Cheers
Dave

I think the easiest press to use is the hydropress, but they're not cheap.

Yeah... cheap is kind of important at the moment... If things take off I can invest in easy.

Cheers
Dave

Two tons would certainly be a challenge.

I have estimated that a pair of high performance juicers could process a few hundred kilograms of apples in a day, with two people working.

My method may not be revolutionary, but it is quick, clean, low cost and efficient. Moreover, it is simple. Apples in at one end, clear apple juice drawn off at the other. The method is synchronous and not stepwise, as juice and then strain is.

In addition, we have not yet had a problem with pectin hazes. Generally, our ciders have fermented out to crystal clarity after just three weeks. We have never used pectolytic enzyme.

I speculate on the reason for this during our near 14 minute interview on BBC Local Radio. If you are at a loose end, you'll find the interview on YouTube at :

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back