JS HOP THIEF 6

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Three Sheets

Reaction score
Tried this on tap and thought it a very tasty drop. So much so that I am hoping to find a clone recipe. It runs Simcoe and Columbus hops, but I couldn't find a recipe on the net. Anyone tried this or know of a clone???

I'd try
60% ale malt
35% Munich
5 % caramunich or crystal

Mash at 66
Gentle on the buttering hops and lotsa simcoe and Columbus at flame at if chilling or argonise the simcoe and Columbus at pitching time.

Thanks BradBrew, I'm not set up for all grain and am looking for an extract brew.

1.5 kg Light liquid Malt
1.5 kg amber liquid mslt
300g ldm
250gm crystal 120

When you bottle prime you will have 5% abv. Colour might not be quite right.

I'd not put a late hop...... shortest boil 10 min addition. I just had one.... not much aroma, flavour hopping I reckon.

Without knowing hops real well yet, I might try :

Columbus 20g @45
Simcoe 20g @ 10
Columbus 10g @ 5
Simcoe 10g @ 5

It puts the bittering in the APA range.

Hell maybe I'll try it to see.

Speaking to one of the fellas today they are not listing 2 more hops, one starting with M ...

/// said:
Speaking to one of the fellas today they are not listing 2 more hops, one starting with M ...
Well that doesn't help. Still playing with Simcoe and Columbus wont hurt. I have some Chinook and Galaxy that could enter the mix. Let me know Mattrox if you give it a go.

Being on an IPA binge lately - have you tried any other IPA's?
Trying not to be a snob but the James Squire is a 'pale' comparison to the Feral Hop Hog - which has a thread going in K & E as well.
I have just being trying the selection at my local Uncle Dan's and find the Hop Hog slaps you in the face where the JS is like a disinterested handshake.
IMHO

Cheers

Three Sheets said:
Well that doesn't help. Still playing with Simcoe and Columbus wont hurt. I have some Chinook and Galaxy that could enter the mix. Let me know Mattrox if you give it a go.
I bought the malt from coopers while getting the ROTM IPA. I'll report back after it is done.

Bara said:
Trying not to be a snob but the James Squire is a 'pale' comparison to the Feral Hop Hog - which has a thread going in K & E as well.
I have just being trying the selection at my local Uncle Dan's and find the Hop Hog slaps you in the face where the JS is like a disinterested handshake.
IMHO

Cheers
If you are referring to JS IPA I agree no where near Hop Hog. JS Hop Thief is an APA but would please an IPA drinker imo. Far superior on Tap...both beers.

Bara said:
IMHO

Cheers
You are comparing an English-styled IPA to An American-styled one,,,

NewtownClown said:
You are comparing an English-styled IPA to An American-styled one,,,
pretty sure they are both american style pale ale.

James%20Squire%20Hop%20Thief%206.jpg

This is from the feral website: http://www.feralbrewing.com.au/our-beer/
Hop Hog
American IPA 5.8% 48 IBU OG 1059
Hop Hog is an American style India Pale Ale. We add a heavy dose of American Hops during both during the boil and late in the fermenting stage to give Hop Hog a strong pine needle and citrus aroma, followed by an aggressive bitterness and a dry finish.

Latest posts

Back