Js Highway Man Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Krout

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I quite like the James Squire Highwayman that you can only seem to get on tap at their pubs. I was wondering if anyone has a idea of a recipe.

The JS website description is thus:
This thrice hopped ale uses a select blend of choice English, European and New Zealand hops. Its long, cool fermentation gives a clean finish and a crisp, refreshing taste. The use of six premium grains gives a rich malt complexity that adds to the profusion of hop aromas and flavours. Its fruity aroma with hints of citrus, gooseberry and blackcurrant will sit well on any palate.

The Malt maybe six malt amber concoction.

The Hops I think are:
Nelson Sauvin
Saaz
and maybe something English for bittering? Goldings?

Anyone have an idea?

BK

Edit: Sorry Mods. Can you move this to the Recipes Folder?

what about pacific gem that is spos to give blackcurrnet type notes the sauvin is more a wine type taste if you can call it that

The Hops I think are:
Nelson Sauvin
Saaz
and maybe something English for bittering? Goldings?

Anyone have an idea?

BK

Edit: Sorry Mods. Can you move this to the Recipes Folder?

I believe Bramling Cross is meant to produce a blackcurrent flavour.

Search this site for that and you will see a thread about those hops which craft brewer is now selling.

Or else Brewers Gold.

As said above Pacific Gem is a good bittering hop which might replace the English ones...

The other two sound right for the NZ, European connection, unless the European one is Styrian Goldings perhaps...

I havent tasted the beer though so this all total conjecture...

I have brewed this one a few times down at King Street Wharf, but for the life of me, I can't recall what went into it and I didn't keep notes. Nothing special if memory serves, dump in a packet of SO4 and walk away.

a recipe for the craic would be awesome too. really like that one!

*bump*

I had Highwayman for the first time yesterday. Fantastic beer. Be real interested in seeing a recipe from wiser heads.

I went up to grain and grape just last week to grab 1/2 a dozen or so beers from them that I wanted to try. Of course I just had to drop in to the james squire brewhouse for lunch and a drink. I asked for a pint of my favourite: "speculator", only to be told it was currently not available! Doh... I misread the board :eek: Oh well, I'll have a pint of the highwayman instead then thanks. What a nice drop :chug:

I put down a red ale brew yesterday and pitched the yeast this morning, though I've got absolutely no idea whether it will be similar. Here's my recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: HWYman
Brewer: Me
Asst Brewer:
Style: Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.80 L
Boil Size: 30.16 L
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 35.7 %
1.75 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 31.3 %
0.53 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 9.5 %
0.50 kg Bairds Golden Promise (2.3 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
0.50 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
0.32 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.7 %
10.00 gm Bramling Cross [8.60%] (60 min) (First WoHops 12.4 IBU
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (60 min) (First WoHops 8.8 IBU
10.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (60 min) (First Hops 7.8 IBU
19.00 gm Fuggles [5.70%] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
10.00 gm Bramling Cross [8.60%] (15 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
10.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU

My mash was a two step mash with a 30 min rest at 45c, then 1hr5min at 66c.
I ended up with 22.5 litres of 1.056 wort and have used a farmed wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast. I'll let you know how it turns out when it's ready.

Cheers :)

Hhhhhmmmm, could well prove interesting...have a look at this
http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?i...7&sprache=2
Weyermann say use the Carared upto 25 %.
I feel you should have upped the Pilsner, Golden Promise & Vienna and downed the Carared.

Regards,
Lindsay.
You're probably right, however I don't mind experimenting with different malts/hops/styles, it may become one of my house ales or it may end up being used to flush my toilet. Time will tell.

How did it turn out, Stoo?

It turned out to be quite a drinkable beer. Not quite like the JS highwayman, but I'm going to give it another go. Similar grain bill but adjust the hop schedule, probably add some flameout hops.

I just went to James Squire brewhouse and had a pint of this, absolutely amazing!

I doubt there's anyone that's even come close to replicating it? the bar said 'citrus and blackcurrant' flavours, and the blackcurrant really came through. it was so nice.

Latest posts

Back