JS 150 Lashes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeye84

Reaction score
Hi there,

Any one got, or know of, a tried & tested all grain JS 150 lashes recepie or Beersmith file?

Thanks in advance.

Rocki

It should be a pretty easy one to clone.

My advice would be to choose a pale ale recipe (american or aus) of the beersmith cloud that has a high 'rating'.

Then choose your last hop addition with an aromatic hop you like, do a zero minute (flame out) addition of 30g and don't dry hop.

Have a taste and then vary your flame out hop addition to suit yourself.

The reason I recommend a flame out addition without dry hopping is that it seems to be a bit more forgiving and less 'in your face' than dry hopping and doesn't require interaction with your beer at the end of the process that is prone to oxidation/infection.

150 lashes isn't massive on the hops front so I think you should be able to get there without dry hopping.

Hi,

Here is the JS 150 Lashes off BrewBuilder - Brewman.

Cheers Steve

JS150.jpg

Yeh did the Google thing. Looks good, cheers for the recipe brewman. Have you brewed this? How's it go?

Also what's the water profile look like, I'm on RO water. I find the recommended standard US pale ale profile ie 50ppm Cl / 250-350ppm SO4 makes the bitterness a bit harsh for my tastes. Would one run a more balance profile for this brew?

rockeye84 said:
Yeh did the Google thing. Looks good, cheers for the recipe brewman. Have you brewed this? How's it go?
Yes, I've brewed this many times, this is common beer around around my place and often asked for by friends that drop in. It is a great beer thoroughly reccomend it.

I adjust my water by increasing the Ca by 100ppm with a half / half Gypsiumm CaSO4 / Calcium Lactate. I like the Yeast - SO4, but some mates prefer to brew it with US05, both are good choices.

Cheers Steve

Hi Rocki,

You don't run them by pressure so much as by setting the O2 flow so that it bubbles through the wort and just breaks the surface of the wort. Any more and you are wasting the O2 to the atmosphere. So more of a visual adjustment.

Postsage is $12.50, anywhere in Oz.

On how many uses you get... I will come back to you on that. I am pretty sure MHB posted that here a while ago, will see if I can find it. The bottles last for ages, I am still on my first and been using it for about 18 months. But will come back to you.

Cheers

Hey Steve,

I would like to buy one of your o2 setups. Do you have in stock? Whats the best way to pay for it? I'm assuming your east coast? Cool if I call you around 9am your time? Your number 0490 116 025? Sorry for all the questions.. lol

Keen to put it to work next weekend on my saaz pilz that I have planned. Just finished building a new setup, 1st brew on the new rig, so im a bit excited..
View attachment 84008

Hi again Steve,

I cant really make out some of the figures on the image of your above recipe, any chance of a higher res image?

Also i have no Amarillo or Nelson, thinking of subbing for Cascade for the Amarillo and either galaxy or Simcoe for the nelson. Your thoughts?

Rocki

Won't be close to the same beer.
Nelson has a very unique flavour.

Still be nice beer but.

Hi Steve,

Brewing your JS 150 clone today, do you recommend using finings after primary? Or jus leave it so its a bit cloudy like the real deal?

Rocki

rockeye84 said:
Hi Steve,

Brewing your JS 150 clone today, do you recommend using finings after primary? Or jus leave it so its a bit cloudy like the real deal?

Rocki
FYI the "real deal" is filtered bright and then a product along the lines of "biocloud" is added to give it the hazy look.

Yeah, a bit different now it's brewed in bulk at Tooheys rather than when it first came out at Maltshovel brewery.

I hate it when the little guys get sucked up by the big boys & you don't get the same beer anymore. Thank goodness for clones. The flavor lives on.

How long ago was 150 chewed up by the big breweries? Not sure I ever got to try the ridgy dige. I recall fat yak being a lot more flavourful than it is right now..

rockeye84 said:
How long ago was 150 chewed up by the big breweries? Not sure I ever got to try the ridgy dige. I recall fat yak being a lot more flavourful than it is right now..
Ever since it came out. It's just grown so much in popularity that the volume outgrew the Maltshovel Brewery (wholly Lion owned).

Latest posts

Back