Js 150 Lashes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's Jim?

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a couple kegs for a mates party and have been asked to brew some 150 Lashes (or thereabouts).

Couldn't find any recipes for this beer so I've attempted to start one with my limited knowledge.

I know it's 100% malt and uses a little bit of wheat.
Apparently Willamette, NS and Amarillo are used (...sparingly?)

I've come up with:

OG:1.043
Expected FG: 1.008
IBU: 25-30~?
EBC: 7.8

3.5kg JW Pilsner
0.8kg JW Wheat
0.2kg JW Caramalt

Hop schedule?

Wyeast 1056

Mash at 65 for 90 minutes

Ferment at 17C

--

I have never used Willamette or NS and have no idea where they should fit into the hop schedule or in what amounts - Amarillo I have used a few times before but it doesn't seem to dominate at any point in this beer... If hops dominate at any point in this beer at all...
A simple 60-20-1 will probably suffice but what goes where and how much?

Is this grain bill fine?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Cheers guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the grain bill. I like the beer (as far as commercial beer goes) I use US simcoe (bittering) with a little amarillo at 20 mins. Its not quite 150 lashes BUT when my friends drink mine they all ask 'is it squires' Its more reminiscent of golden ale. EG an easy drinking pale ale.

4.25 kg JWM ale malt
.5 kg Wheat malt
.25 kg Caramalt

Simcoe 15g 6.6 aa 60 mins
Amarillo 20g 12.2 aa 20 mins

I had a Js pale ale side by side one of my home brews featuring Amarillo and they tasted very similar. NS tends to taste more like citrus...

So what do you reckon just crack the tin of fruit salad, pitch the yeast, shake and cover with tin foil and stick it behind the fridge for a week or two......... I think I just worked out how they make 150 lashes. :D

Since this thread is off the rails anyway James Squire needs to work on its marketing 'it is delicious...and...very flavoursome'

Since this thread is off the rails anyway James Squire needs to work on its marketing 'it is delicious...and...very flavoursome'

I was just telling a mate the other day it was a beer aimed at women, he promptly finished his glass and went and got a pint of old..... :D

Women should only be used to sell beer, not to drink it.

A % of men factor in women drinking beer to increase their sex lives.

I have a theory:
Beer- cool, down to earth etc
Alcopops -stupid but fun
Sparkling white wine- like alcopops but pretends to be sophisticated
Red wine- sophisticated and mature
Gin and Tonics -dtf

I thought it was pretty similar to CPA. Maybe a bit more estery.

Murky swamp water aka Aussie Pale Ale.

I thought it was pretty similar to CPA. Maybe a bit more estery.

Murky swamp water aka Aussie Pale Ale.

Agree.... but perhaps a little more sour/citrus. I dont like it as much as CPA.

I've only drunk this once - on tap at the Coogee Bay Hotel - served at -58C in a plastic schooner - I didn't get anything from it - no taste, no loss of muscular control, no smell - just... nothing.

It was funny watching people stumble up to the taps, take a look at what's on offer, then make the same choice as me -'at least it's different', 'could be all right'.

I quickly retreated back to the Coopers Green and wished the CBH served drinkable Guinness - no idea what they do to that but I get 'mould' and 'cider' as the big hits off their Guinness.

Sorry, carry on. :icon_cheers:

I'm pretty picky and quick to slag off JS.........but.......

I like this beer. It is hoppier than any other JS beers (in an aussie, dry, slightly harsh, shrubby, gumtree, native Aussie flower sort of way). On tap its very fresh and half decent.

Back