Joined the club of boil over...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Wheat beer. Did the 2k of torrified wheat in a pan. 12l pan and it basically resembled porridge. I used a bucket with hundreds of holes with another bucket underneath to sparge. Took about 3 hours to this stage. Went out and came back three hours later. It was very cold outside so I chucked the pan on the burner and wandered off.
I am not saying that I forgot about it, but yes I did not keep track of time! Good job it was outside on the deck and I was just able to hose it all off. The pan is still soaking in the back garden.

Lesson learnt.

Did you mash the torrified wheat with anything else mate? Torrified doesn't have any diastic power to convert starches to sugars.

Nupe. One big pile of mush. lol. I am having troubles with wheat beers! Third fail.
I followed what I thought was the recipe that I used last time. (with wheat malt this time, not light malt!).
Will need to double check the recipe. I am going to have to start keeping better notes - bought a log book.
btw in case you were wondering, the first fail was not doing a boil at all and emptying out 20l of bottles into the back garden before they exploded.

Gotta do a bit more research mate, otherwise you'll just end up wasting time, money and potentially your own safety. Feel free to ask as many questions on here as you can, but be sure to listen to the answers.

slcmorro said:
Gotta do a bit more research mate, otherwise you'll just end up wasting time, money and potentially your own safety. Feel free to ask as many questions on here as you can, but be sure to listen to the answers.
Don't be too concerned :) It was not wasted time. I learnt. The money - yes I cried, but I learnt. The safety - All under control. yes I do listen to answers. Have been a member here for seven years on and off.
I (*&#$ up. Hands up. Yes.

Just checked my other recipes for Wheat beers. They both call for .5K wheat and .5K Pale Malt.
I think that the recipe got copied and modified by one of my kids.
Going to the HB store today to get stuff. NOT 2 kilos though!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406598713.328838.jpg not too sure if it would work in a brewing situation

This is an old thread, but just in case anyone is wondering ... I have tried the wooden spoon method to prevent boilovers and it mostly works. However If it's a particularly vigourous hot break then only an eagle eye and removing from the heat will work - the wooden spoon is not enough.

Back