Johnny

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
PB280547.jpg

Stupid Glass :rolleyes: Did this trying to soak the fermenter tap

And yes, that is another of the same type glass in the sink with the tap in it, with boiling water. Told you it was a stupid glass

While we're on glass demolition, bottles and a freezer also don't mix <_<

Bottle_Bomb_1.jpg

upside down wet glass + microwave doesn't mix as well

While we're on glass demolition, bottles and a freezer also don't mix <_<

years ago I was famous for doing that.. with commercial beer.. must have cost me a fortune at the time as at my worst I blew up (and had to clean up) 3 six-packs in 3 weeks...

I rarely do so these days at all (only sometimes).. and at least it costs me F/A... but I still gotta clean it up :(

:icon_cheers:

PB280547.jpg

Stupid Glass :rolleyes: Did this trying to soak the fermenter tap

Next time you want to put boiling water in a glass either place a teaspoon in it first or just fill a centimetre or so with warm tap water first.

I often soak my coopers bottles with boiling water and napisan but the jug I mix it in gets a touch of cold/warm water first. Bottles outside on cold concrete, not one has yet cracked.

You probably already know but thermal shock cracks glass. You need to love your glasses more.

I should add my first post on this forum was due to me having stirred some finings for my Kit ginger beer with my hydrometer because I couldn't be bothered going inside for a spoon. Finings were dissolved in boiling water. Not only did I crack the base of my hydrometer into the finings (along with the little metal balls inside) but I didn't actually notice until AFTER I'd tipped the lot into the brew.

Ha ha love the slushie.

Yeah I agree it was pretty silly putting boiling water in there. But I was in a bit of a hurry, and they looked pretty damn thick. I have put very very hot water & napisan in them heaps of times before but obviously that's not boiling water straight from the kettle.

Nice glass art guys. I reckon the fact that it is patterned glass didn't help much either. Differing expansion rates of the thick and thin glass etc... you know the rest.

Latest posts

Back