John Guest Leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Armacell to trunk my lines - just remember to talc up your lines before you try to feed them through (and two people makrs life significantly easier!)

Andy

Thanks for the tip. Where do you buy it?

Hey guys,

What's the trick with the John Guest tail piece fittings?
Tap-adaptor.JPG

Every time I connect up I have a leak.
I know that the hose has to be cut without burrs etc, but I just cant get it. Not small leaks either.
Any ideas on what i'm missing?

Cheers

White PTFE tape around the thread to seal

Pumpy

nah, it's not leaking around the thread. It's where the hose goes in.
Still no luck. Cut it square, no burrs, push it all the way in, turn the gas on and shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Must be the hose i'm using, cant think of anything else

Or that the fitting is stuffed. One of my fittings had a leak and I fiddled around with the hose, cut it straight and did all things mentioned, but in the end there was something wrong with the actual fitting which didn't create the proper seal.

yeah i thought that, until i tried with another of them i have

yeah i thought that, until i tried with another of them i have
Exactly the way I confirmed the problem was with the fitting and not the hose. Well you better get to the hbs and get some proper beer line and fix this problem once and for all.

While were on the topic a great way of getting rid of any sharp edges after you cut your beer line is to use ordinary pencil sharpener, puts a great little bevel on the end leaving no chance of burs scratching the seal

White PTFE tape around the thread to seal

Pumpy

does anyone else use PTFE tape?

I'm trying to setp up my keg system for the first time and had a massive leak - once I used teflon tape on the threads the leak was reduced to a small one, so I'd say that's a big tick for teflon tape, but Ross (who i bought all my gear off) just told me I shouldn't use it

does anyone else use PTFE tape?

I'm trying to setp up my keg system for the first time and had a massive leak - once I used teflon tape on the threads the leak was reduced to a small one, so I'd say that's a big tick for teflon tape, but Ross (who i bought all my gear off) just told me I shouldn't use it

I dont use any tape with my FG fittings. Everything should fit together nicely? :huh:

my understanding is that your not supposed to use tape ...

The fitting as shown (if I am correct) does not rely on the thread to seal. If not mistaken this fitting is designed to seal on a lat surface with a washer style seal that seats as you tighten it up.

Sure tape works fine in the situations it's designed for but of no use otherwise. Regardless of this particular situation, work out the sealing point first and then attack the problem. Example if the fitting is designed to seal on a lat surface your destined to have problems if that surface has been compromised.

Back