John Guest Fittings Seal Probs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~MikE

lvl 23 Comrade
Reaction score
so i went to pour myself a beer yesterday only to find there's no gas in the kegs or line (lucky i don't leave my cylinder on) and i found the problem. wriggling one of the fittings released the gas fairly rapidly. i took everything apart, vacuum greased it all up (i did it before but i think i missed a couple of connections) and the system seems to be holding pressure now fine.

Anyone had troubles with gas sealing with the John guest fittings?

I have had this problem. Bought some JG T-pieces and gas line only to find that the gas line is a touch too big for the JG fittings. They went in with some force but the seal was never good. I drained a whole gas bottle due to this problem. I bought both from the same retailer too - had me a bit gobsmacked that they hadn't been tested to make sure they were compatible!

I have since replaced them with barbed T-pieces. Problem solved. But in the process I wasted $40 worth of gas and $20 worth of JG fittings. Wasn't happy.

so i went to pour myself a beer yesterday only to find there's no gas in the kegs or line (lucky i don't leave my cylinder on) and i found the problem. wriggling one of the fittings released the gas fairly rapidly. i took everything apart, vacuum greased it all up (i did it before but i think i missed a couple of connections) and the system seems to be holding pressure now fine.

Never had the problem myself - and I have never lubed the end of my lines. I do have some food-grade lubricant which I could apply.... I'd also be interested to hear what others do. Is lubricating the connections a practise recommended by JG?

MikE, i wish you had of posted this thread 2 weeks ago...i went out to my shed last Tuesday to find that i had no gas in my kegs so i thought i would turn the CO2 bottle on and re gas them so i could have a beer......shock horror, bottle is empty.

Sent the missus to get another bottle the next day and re connected that night. I wiggled the gas in connector and could hear a leak coming out, it ended up being the O ring on the Gas in Post, it had become very hard and looked smaller in size to the new one i put on.

Gas is turned off all the time after this...

Rook

Mike what is vacuum greasing ? I have JG Fittings and think I have the same issue (I always turn off the gas bottle so it's not that big a problem but it would be nice to get it fixed).

I have had this problem. Bought some JG T-pieces and gas line only to find that the gas line is a touch too big for the JG fittings. They went in with some force but the seal was never good. I drained a whole gas bottle due to this problem. I bought both from the same retailer too - had me a bit gobsmacked that they hadn't been tested to make sure they were compatible!

I have since replaced them with barbed T-pieces. Problem solved. But in the process I wasted $40 worth of gas and $20 worth of JG fittings. Wasn't happy.

Hmmmm... thought it was just me. I've got them on my beer taps and find them quite plasticy and inprecise. Sometimes they move back and drip beer too.

Great solution but to me never seem to offer any form of longevity. I prefer the metal Andale parts personally. Other's opinions may vary though.

Warren -

The line you push into JG fittings need to be cut off very square and neat to be foolproof - I also found that there is an issue with line diameter. As near as I can tell, it comes down to the minute difference between 5/16 and 8mm.

The Grew coloured JG fittings are 5/16th - but the beer line might be exactly 8mm, which is just a tiny bit big for the fitting. I have never had real trouble with them sealing up, but I have had so much trouble removing line, that i have broken a number of fittings. This is not the case when I have had line that is slightly thinner. The thinner line seal and removes beautifully, the slightly thicker line jams awfully.

I recently bought some of the genuine JG beer/gas line .... and it both seals and removes far more easily that any of the normal beva line, not to mention being easier to cut cleanly. I have not wanted to use it on the liquid side, because it has a quite large inner diameter, and it would have taken miles of the stuff to provide enough line resistance for a good pour at carbonating pressure, But I have replaced all my gas side lines and use it on my celli tap for liquid (adjustable resistance on the Celli)

When I am using the normal Beva line, I do smear a little food grade lubricant on the line, it seems to help.

Also - have a look down inside the fittings. The little grey collect should have 4 "leaves" each with a tiny metal tooth at the bottom of it. In the fittings I broke, it was one or more of these little "leaves" that broke off - I didn't even notice the first few. The fittings will still work with only 3 of the 4, but are less "safe" - with only 2 of the 4 they will work, but if the tube is pulled out of very straight alignment, then can and will leak.

I leave my gas on all the time, and in my spare fridge, the reg and line are twisted over and there is quite a lot of stress on the JG fitting - still holds up beautifully. You just have to be aware that they are only mostly foolproof, not completely; and check them for leaks as you would for any other fitting.

Thirsty

edit for speelink mistooks

thanks for replies guys. i might go a barbed setup if it causes me any further problems but it seems to be holding the seal ok...

I guess it would pay to have some soapy water in a spray bottle to just test these connections every once in a while.

It should make no difference to the sealing qualitys of the fitting whether using 5/6" or 8mm OD line, that's according to John Guest.
The John Guest line has a harder more polished outside surface that makes removal of the line easier, so is recommended for those that will be regularly disconnecting. We supply the JG line now with a choice of 6mm & 5mm internal, so you do have the option of some extra restriction.
If the fittings leak they are either faulty (very rare) or you have simply not connected them properly. We always recommend that all junctions on a kegging setup are thoroughly tested with soapy water before using.

cheers Ross

I can only speak for my experiences, but neither I or another brewer (who has used JG fittings quite a bit, but with thinner beer/gas line) who had a go at it could get a proper seal. We re-cut the line a couple of times to make sure it was straight, and still no joy. The hose was simply too big to push in all the way comfortably.

Even if it is technically possible, I think the fact that we tried over and over with no success (and others are having similar problems) suggests that the thicker gas line really isn't suitable for JG fittings. After all the whole point in JG is its meant to be EASIER!

Yep, I'm afraid that whatever JG says, not all line that is sold with 8mm OD written on it fits. IIRC the 8mm beva I bought off you was no really problem Ross, but 8mm line I got from a different supplier really really was - or possibly visa versa. The actual JG line works like a dream

I understand what JG is telling you Ross... but if the imperial and the metric fittings are the same, why do they sell both 5/16th AND 8mm fittings?

I suspect the difference is so small that it normally doesn't matter, but if the fittings are actually a little smaller than 8mm, and teh line you buy is actually a tiny bit bigger, then the two differences stacked on top of each other does make a difference.

All solved by buying the JG line though, or just by taking one of the fittings along to determine whether the line sold buy you LHBS is actually suitable or not. Get the right line and the JG fittings are bloody fantastic - without it they are a PITA.

TB

I use the JG line and dont have an issue, i make sure that the line is cut nice and square before it goes in though.

There is very little difference between 8mm and 5/16"
8mm is 8mm (of course) 5/16" is 7.9375 mm so there is 0.0625 mm difference between the two. SMC push fit, fittings which are basically the same as JG only make one unit to do both sizes and I have used Valpar brand tubing in the past and currently whatever gryphon brewing has in stock with no sealing issues.

Update: my system is now holding pressure fine having lubed up all the joints - can move them around with angular strain on the joints and no leaks. according to john guest lubing isn't necessary... John Guest:0 - Reality:1

For those having trouble removing line, I can recommend getting yourself a set of collet spanners. They make life considerably easier and you won't find yourself comprimosing on OD to make the fittings work.

Andy

I understand what JG is telling you Ross... but if the imperial and the metric fittings are the same, why do they sell both 5/16th AND 8mm fittings?

Hi Thirsty,

Simply because they sell a full range of both metric (black fittings) & imperial (grey fittings). It just happens that the 8mm & 5/16" are the one size that are interchangeable.
The JG fittings are specifically manufactured for the beverage industry (amongst others) & if used correctly are fantastic; they are the industry standard in Europe. We've sold literally thousands of these fittings & they are responsible for more emails of thanks than any other product we sell. I guess with any product, however good, there are always going to be people that find them not to their preference & that's their choice :)

cheers Ross

I've got them on my beer taps and find them quite plasticy and inprecise. Sometimes they move back and drip beer too.

:lol: reminds me of the time I fitted one to my beer gun line inside a chest freezer. I kegged & gassed it, hooked up the gun, & closed the lid. I returned a few hours later to get a beer & found the keg sitting in about 3 litres of beer. I think the combination of using the wrong line & the freezer lid pushing down on the connection, on an angle, caused the leak :rolleyes:

I switched the line to the JG line, but the wall is to thin to properly take hold on the beer gun connection. Since then I only use JG fitings on lines that i use to transfer from keg to keg etc (basically anything I have to pull apart to clean straight after use) & they work great for that purpose. Anything that's permanently connected I use standard connections.

Heres a pic of 5 of my JG fittings that were inside my fridge for just 2 months. Just about every one of the fitting rings cracked and fell apart. A CO2 bottle emptied overnight and I thought it was close, but not that close to empty. Just did a quick look and to my amazement this!

photo (1) (1024x768).jpg

I ensure you I know what I am doing with these fittings. I have plenty of others in other fridges that are all still good to this day after years of disconnecting, reconnecting. Bummer. $50 down the tube.

mckenry said:
Heres a pic of 5 of my JG fittings that were inside my fridge for just 2 months. Just about every one of the fitting rings cracked and fell apart. A CO2 bottle emptied overnight and I thought it was close, but not that close to empty. Just did a quick look and to my amazement this!

attachicon.gif
photo (1) (1024x768).jpg

I ensure you I know what I am doing with these fittings. I have plenty of others in other fridges that are all still good to this day after years of disconnecting, reconnecting. Bummer. $50 down the tube.
I would send the pieces back to JG for their comment and possible replacement. Are you sure they are genuine JG?

Wes

Latest posts

Back