Joe White - Vienna Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digging up a 5 year old thread but what is the general consenses on JW Vienna malt these days? Im thinking of a 100% smash vienna ale. Has it improved over the years?

Digging up a 5 year old thread but what is the general consenses on JW Vienna malt these days? Im thinking of a 100% smash vienna ale. Has it improved over the years?

I did a Smash with it and love it!
Not sure what it used to taste like though.

It will taste like you brewed using Australian malted barley that has been kilned to a degree similar to that of other available Vienna malts. Suspiciously like a slightly darker Trad Ale.

It won't be bad beer, but you can only expect your raw ingredients to behave within their given parameters.

I don't like it. The raw grain has an almost plastic note to my palate whereas a good German Vienna has a lovely biscuity quality. Not a fan of the JW munich either (actually haven't used JW for ages but I'd still use their ale or pils again in a pinch)

It will taste like you brewed using Australian malted barley that has been kilned to a degree similar to that of other available Vienna malts. Suspiciously like a slightly darker Trad Ale.

It won't be bad beer, but you can only expect your raw ingredients to behave within their given parameters.

Yep, I agree, spend the extra (not that much considering its travelled all the way from Germany) and enjoy true Vienna malt.

tnd

I haven't used the imported stuff but enjoy what I get from the JW vienna. Sweet, malty and somewhat toasty. I use it often as part of the base malt. The most I have used is 50% which turned out very nicely.

edit: I kind of want to try some weyermann now to see what the difference is, but I've just ordered another sack of JW.

I haven't used the imported stuff but enjoy what I get from the JW vienna. Sweet, malty and somewhat toasty. I use it often as part of the base malt. The most I have used is 50% which turned out very nicely.

edit: I kind of want to try some weyermann now to see what the difference is, but I've just ordered another sack of JW.

Well, well. I have used JW vienna and munich, always JW pils as base, crystal, caramalt and dark munich recently and use JW wheat too. Never been unhappy with the Vienna, but maybe its time to try a different brand. Have always enjoyed their malts and never found anything to be lacking. Its the Buy Local debate isnt it? I dont have anything to compare with, but I find JW malts good. Funnily enough, I've never used JW Ale malt.

Well, well. I have used JW vienna and munich, always JW pils as base, crystal, caramalt and dark munich recently and use JW wheat too. Never been unhappy with the Vienna, but maybe its time to try a different brand. Have always enjoyed their malts and never found anything to be lacking. Its the Buy Local debate isnt it? I dont have anything to compare with, but I find JW malts good. Funnily enough, I've never used JW Ale malt.

JW make fine malt, no doubt about it, but man, a UK ale made with Maris otter, or Golden promise, halcyon etc, and a pils/ helles etc ( i have one on tap now ) made with Weyermann pils, or Best pilz ( my current fave pils ) just seems to have an extra character about it. If all i could get was JW, i'd happily use it no problem, but i really like my imported malts.

Im a malt snob, as well as a beer snob haha

JW make fine malt, no doubt about it, but man, a UK ale made with Maris otter, or Golden promise, halcyon etc, and a pils/ helles etc ( i have one on tap now ) made with Weyermann pils, or Best pilz ( my current fave pils ) just seems to have an extra character about it. If all i could get was JW, i'd happily use it no problem, but i really like my imported malts.

Im a malt snob, as well as a beer snob haha
I definitely agree, i think that the JW malts are great quality but I must admit I dont think they are the same at all as their imported counterparts.
The flavors of each brand are very different. There are subtle and very distinct differences in the flavors that they all contain. I find the JW pilsner to be a bit coarse to my palate, as with their Vienna. I love the Traditional Ale though. I guess you would just need to try them all and find out for yourself!

Back