Joe White - Vienna Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez The Killer

HeCameDancingAcrossTheWater
Reaction score
Hey fellas

I've got a bag of JW Vienna on the way and am looking at using it in a recipe

I can't seem to find the specs for it to put it into ProMash on goole or on this forum

I've download the extra JW malt listing from the beer smith website - however it's not included there either

Has any one got any specs handy?

Or what numbers are people using?

Cheers

well, it's nothing like weyermann. and if you read the thread linked above, it's not just me who isn't impressed by it.

I will second that. I dont know what it is about the JW Vienna and Pils But they ain't a patch on Weyermanns. Maybe I have just got used to the German stuff?

Steve

Bugger, Wish I read that post a week ago. Just received some JW Vienna :(

Looks like it will have to go in small amounts of several brews, or maybe make a bock. That should build up the body a bit

Kabooby :)

How would JW Vienna go as sort of a "beefy base malt" type thing? Maybe in an English Bitter or Mild??? I've never tried it myself, but surely it isn't that disappointing. Maybe in direct comparison to Weyermann Vienna, but how would it go in styles other than malty German lagers? At only a few EBC higher than ale malt you'd think it could be used as a base in ales etc... :unsure:

it's just so bland. my 100% JWV brew should have been full of flavour but it was just bland and boring.
I'd use it as padding and steer clear of JW malts if you can score cryer, bairds or weyermann.

So JW isnt any good? does all their grain suck? Just wondering as at some stage in the next 4 months or so im going to to be going AG and will need to stock up on grains. actualy as im starting partials I guess I should be steering clear of JW if its crap.

So JW isnt any good? does all their grain suck? Just wondering as at some stage in the next 4 months or so im going to to be going AG and will need to stock up on grains. actualy as im starting partials I guess I should be steering clear of JW if its crap.

Thats a big call. But I can say brush the JW Vienna and if your buying Crystal in small bits from your LHBS and they stock UK Crystals U would not bother with JW Crystal either. JW Ale Malt I have used with some good results in the past but the Pils and Vienna and Crystals dont float my boat. But thats just me, and I am sure 5 other blokes will give 10 other opinions. ;)

Steve

Tooheys New is made with JW Malts.

Now doesn't that just say something...

JW also provide fer James squire, so dont be too hard to knock all thier grains.

U can make shit out of anything, but it takes the know how to make something good.

Personally, I'm happy with Trad ale malt. Sure it's not as good as the English ale malts, but it's not a bad malt in my book.

Trad Ale is a great malt.

I have some of the Vienna here. I used it once and won't bother using it again. It's not bad but if you want the real character of a Vienna malt then this is not what you are looking for. Spend the extra and buy some German malt. Use the Joe White Vienna in something you don't care about malt flavour much.

Just wanted to add that I'm VERY happy with the JW Wheat - it's perfectly good. That said I too have heard the Vienna is pretty ordinary.

i also had a bag of JW dark munich which wasn't too bad.
the fact that JSq beers are made with JW malt doesn't make me like it any more.

i think if you like German beers, buy German malts, if you like UK beers buy UK malt and if you like Aussie beers... ummm, i was going somewhere with that.

Latest posts

Back