Jim Bexley Speed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qq7

Reaction score
Hello beer lovers,

I've been reading and lurking for a few weeks now. So thanks for all the tips.
I'm just about to start my third brew - a belgian dubbel. For which I've had help from the admirable Colin, and garr... I forget his name - dreadlock dude from peakie home brew. (its really crap that I forget Mr Ds name, because it feels like he's spent hours with me - I got colin from the docket - and his main contribution was sympathy with my lack of notice that a 6 pack of red ale I drank while cooking a curry last week was 7.5% and consequently resulted in blotto-ness(does that have a hyphen - I think it should). Also as far as acknowledgements go - A HUGE shout to Newtown clown - (I hope thats OK marty?) - he really got me on the road - I think he was sick of me drinking his brew and getting nothing in return ( apart fom my scintillating conversation of course - which - as everybody knows - gets better and better with every schooner).

Sooo... the beer...

This time I was convinced I needed to make a yeast starter for a belgian dubbel (upsold again :|). So I got the liquid trappist yeast, 2 litre jar, a bung and an airlock - no wait - that got left out, d'oh. I remember you guys had been talking about the use of cling film on your primarys - so I figured that might be a good substitute. A quick call back to peakie for confidence, and away I went - hopefully the iodophor soaking I gave everything multiple times is good enough and its in the $80 second hand fermenting fridge for a coupla days, before dumping (is this where I use the word pitching?) into a wort of ready made belgian dubbel (looks like a 4 litre oil container) and a packet of belgian dark candi sugar.

Nearly finished fermenting (down .001 in the ast 24hrs) an american brown ale, with hops added on the third day (although I misread the packet and put the teabag in the compost not the brew - doh - again - but it still got a good dose of ten minute tea - I'm pretty sure I can taste it in the hydrometre thingy). Anyway - it is already tasting yummy.

in bottles last weekend the original birthday present (took me a year to get to it - how slack is that!) mangrove jack generic lager can with something that I'm told resembles an ale yeast, anyway - before bottling tasting after the hydro reading gave something that was ALMOST as good as VB... hooray! (as in hooray for sarcasm) (Nah - should be fine).

So thats my beer - so far - I cant believe how interesting chemistry is - if only there had been a beer slant in first year uni - I may have passed and I wouldn't have become a geographer!

As for the subject heading, I live in Bexley (near sydney airport) and am quite a huge fan of Red Dwarf. I have fantasies of creating a label based on this with the london jets zero gravity football team figuring prominently.

As you might be able to tell - it took a six pack for me to actually sit down and write a (some might say long winded) introduction. well thats all gone - I have moved onto the left over wine that the girls had at the Australia day bbq.... Mmmm rose :)

who else has an alcohol problem on this site?

Cheers Big Ears

Steve

That post made my brain explode and leak out my nose

Robbo2234 said:
p.s its Damo has the dreads!
Darrr... thats it thanks man!

Hi Damo - dunno if you're on this forum - if you are thanks - enjoy

BTW - any thoughts, advice etc on the belgian dubble before it goes into the fermenter would not go astray

ta

Steve

Welcome. I knew I'd heard Jim bexley speed before, but couldn't place it. Helps if you say it in a scouse accent.

Al foil is the preferred covering for starters, but no harm done using cling film.

we are all piss heads,thats why were here...cheers..spog.....

Latest posts

Back