Jerry Can Fermenting question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc64

Reaction score
Just wondering if those that ferment in jerry's could answer a few quick query's for me please. I have two beers fermenting in my fridge at present, I've decided to go with the lid tightened than eased off method I read here from Batz I think it was. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with this method other than maybe a bit of mess due to less headspace? How do you treat a krausen escape with the lid? Just spray sanitiser and wipe?

I also made something of a mistake when preparing the second jerry for my Irish Red. I had taken the bung out to clean and sanitise, when replacing I didn't tighten it up enough. In the morning I found a small amount of wort had leaked out, hoping that after tightening the bung in disgust I haven't screwed up what was a long brewday filled with F up's :blink: . It's going off like a frog in a sock a day and a half in so fingers crossed for my first sample.

Jerry ... Jerry ... Jerry. Jerry.

Sorry, 90s reference.

If you have headspace issues, make a fufu valve. Search for "blow off valve" (that's the term what a lot of people use for their fufu valves).

Cool, I've been spraying the Star San and wiping so I'm sure it's all good. I might make a 'fu-fu' valve using the spout that comes with the jerry (as posted in another thread). Just like to keep it simple, I guess I'm worried about the gunge that will build up in the cap as it vents. If your both fine with it than I'm sure my beer will be as well. Cheers.

Nick JD said:
Jerry ... Jerry ... Jerry. Jerry.

Sorry, 90s reference.

If you have headspace issues, make a fufu valve. Search for "blow off valve" (that's the term what a lot of people use for their fufu valves).
I think this is a Seinfeld thing but maybe I'm way off track, either way I laughed my arse off. For the younger ones that is LMAO.

You can remove the lid safely while it's actively fermenting and use the pressure of the spray bottle to clean the yeasty crud away before it dries from crud to crust. Otherwise boiling water, sodium percarb and a dedicated toothbrush when ferment is done. I've been fermenting in jerries for a while and have never employed a blow off tube.

super_simian said:
Springer, no? "JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY!"
One of the USA's finest exported TV show's, provided a fascinating insight into real middle America. :D

super_simian said:
JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY!"
Steve! Steve! Steve!

manticle said:
You can remove the lid safely while it's actively fermenting and use the pressure of the spray bottle to clean the yeasty crud away before it dries from crud to crust. Otherwise boiling water, sodium percarb and a dedicated toothbrush when ferment is done. I've been fermenting in jerries for a while and have never employed a blow off tube.
This is also what I do. I have a spray bottle of star san on hand and whenever things get a bit messy I give it a spray and then wipe with a paper towel. I often don't even bother removing the lid, just give the whole jerry a soak in napisan once I've bottled the brew.

How are people removing the crusted on krausen line after they've fermented in jerries?

Isn't it a pain with such small openings ? It's hard enough on normal fermenters !

Danwood said:
How are people removing the crusted on krausen line after they've fermented in jerries?

Isn't it a pain with such small openings ? It's hard enough on normal fermenters !
I've never had a problem with getting krausen off a fermentor? Homebrand Napisan stuff just melts it right off, no scrubbing required.

slash22000 said:
I've never had a problem with getting krausen off a fermentor? Homebrand Napisan stuff just melts it right off, no scrubbing required.
+1

Just half fill the jerry with water/napisan and rest on its side. Flip over to clean other side. Works a treat

Boiling water and pure sodium percarbonate (or napisan if you don't have pure) cleans most gunk off before your eyes.

You need to exercise some caution with the cubes - the seams can split, especially if the cubes are left in the sun so shaking a cube full of boiling water carries some risk.

Just be aware - no need for an OHS officer or fluoro vest.

I've found today my jerry had swelled noticeably, a bit of Krausen spilling out but not a great deal.I took Manticle's advice and removed the cap sprayed with Starsan and also took out a little bit of the krausen. Looks good.

manticle said:
If it's swelling, back the lid off a touch more.
Yep, did just that. I think the build up of gunge had sealed it up quite well, quite a escape of co2 when I turned the cap. I feel pretty comfortable with having the two fermenters in the one fridge now. I'm going to work off putting the temp probe on the jerry with the most vigorous fermentation. (On two beers that have the same ferment temp requirements). Cheers.

20130123_232445.jpg

The two jerry's working together, one has a bit more beef at present.

manticle said:
Boiling water and pure sodium percarbonate (or napisan if you don't have pure) cleans most gunk off before your eyes.

You need to exercise some caution with the cubes - the seams can split, especially if the cubes are left in the sun so shaking a cube full of boiling water carries some risk.

Just be aware - no need for an OHS officer or fluoro vest.
Just kegged my first jerry fermented beer and did as you said, bit of perc and boiling water, seconds later clean as a whistle. Let it stand for a hour and rinsed, looks like new. Ready for more wort. (after Star san of course)

Back