Jaycar Multi Meter Temperature Probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used one that looks very similar for a day, it worked OK, but then I took it back and bought a designated thermometer. Not sure about this model, but it may or may not come with a stainless probe that you can immerse. They usually come with just a wire temp probe but you can buy a stainless probe one to go with it for about $10-I think look up K-type thermocouple if I rememeber rightly.

Anyway, mine was a few degrees out in ice water and at boiling (95C) if I remember rightly and I couldn't be bothered to try and calibrate how much it was out over the range as it didn't seem linear. You may have better luck though, I just thought I'd grab a designated digital thermometer as I had a multimeter anyway. Couldn't hurt to try it, if its not up to scratch then take it back.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Justin

Justin said:
I have used one that looks very similar for a day, it worked OK, but then I took it back and bought a designated thermometer. Not sure about this model, but it may or may not come with a stainless probe that you can immerse. They usually come with just a wire temp probe but you can buy a stainless probe one to go with it for about $10-I think look up K-type thermocouple if I rememeber rightly.

Anyway, mine was a few degrees out in ice water and at boiling (95C) if I remember rightly and I couldn't be bothered to try and calibrate how much it was out over the range as it didn't seem linear. You may have better luck though, I just thought I'd grab a designated digital thermometer as I had a multimeter anyway. Couldn't hurt to try it, if its not up to scratch then take it back.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Justin
[post="69145"][/post]​

My experiance was very similar to Jason. I could not find a suitable K type probe as I was not sure of the fitting of the multimeter and I hate buying something unseen. When I found that the tested temp inside the fridge was out by a few degrees against other digital ones that I have, I returned it. I don't think that the multimeter way is the way to go.

:beer:
PeterS....

Justin / Peter

Cheers - thanks for advise. I'll give it a miss.

Justin - on another subject. You were looking for some earth leakage safety gear a few months ago. This maybe of interest:

http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/bcorner3.html

Also - scroll back to page one of teh bargain bin for soem interesting looking temperature control gear.

Thanks for that Plasticman, appreciate it. Surprised you remembered!

It actually turns out that my house has earth leakage safety stuff on the main power box, so actually the house house is protected on all circuits. Bonus :)

However, I still may grab one or two because I'm not going to be in this house forever. Thanks, they are pretty cheap hey.

Cheers, Justin

I've got one of the Jaycar jobs.

Worked OK for about 2 years. Giving me strife now though. I'm not sure if it's the DMM or the probe? :unsure:

Oddly enough I've gone back to basics. I'm using a dial thermometer now with a 6 inch stem. Used to use it on my espresso machine for steaming milk. Does the job quite well for now.

Warren -

Those multimeters tend to die pretty quickly, I use a good quality DMM with K type thermocouple, cool thing with this set up is you can have multiple thermos on different parts of your brewing gear and you just move the Multimeter around replugging depending on what you want to measure
Mash temp
Boil temp
Sparge water temp
temp of wort exiting chiller....and so on

Back