Java Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtmc

Reaction score
I'm still a noob at formulating recipes. How does this look?

Java Stout (American Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.075 (°P): 18.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.019 (°P): 4.8
Alcohol (ABV): 7.37 %
Colour (SRM): 38.3 (EBC): 75.5
Bitterness (IBU): 58.8 (Average)

72.37% Pale Ale Malt
7.89% Dry Malt Extract - Light
7.89% Munich II
6.58% Chocolate
2.63% Black Roasted Barley
2.63% Crystal 60

3.5 g/L Willamette (7.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
8.7 g/L Crushed Coffee Beans @ 7 Days (Primary)
Single step Infusion at 68°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1335 - British Ale II

...Planning to use the British Ale II as I'll have a cake of it ready from a currently fermenting beer.
Figured I shouldn't hit it with too much hop bitterness as the coffee should add some (200g in ~20L)

Any suggestions?

Is that too much choc? I'm not really aiming for a mocha here.
Maybe I should replace some of it with some flaked barley for creamier texture?

I threw some DME into the mix to make it easier to handle on my 40L urn setup.
Maybe I'd be better off with dextrose? I'm not a huge fan of using extract.

Any input much appreciated.

The recipe looks ok, you lose a little bit of body using DME but I'd use it over dextrose in a stout.

When are you planning on drinking this? It's just you seem to be using an awful lot of coffee. I've dry hopped (in secondary) with 1.5g/l and the results were fine. It was a pretty rough grind too. The coffee does fade a bit over time. I think you are better off not using enough that putting too much in - you can always put more in but you can't take it out once it's in.

I plan on bottling this one and keeping it around for a while. My poor bottles have been totally neglected since the switch to kegs.
You make a good point re: adding more coffee, perhaps I should cut it down by 50%+ and add more later if needed.

That's still about 3 times as much as what I would use.

I recent did a stout with 28g coffee beans in an 18.25l batch. The choc malt and roasted barley also have coffee tones - and it is as close to a coffee syrup as I've come. Yet to open it (bottled three weeks ago) and will wait until the two month mark, so happy to hear it may fade over time.

But I would be wary of the levels you're talking. 28g is enough / too much.

I haven't used coffee beans for a fair while and after checking my notes I haven't had the coffee in secondary for longer than 4 days. Taste it everyday and when it's at the level you want keg or bottle it.

I can't comment on the coffee having not brewed with it myself but is 2.6% crystal going to be doing anything in this grain bill? I'd either up it or leave it out

Thanks guys. Draft #2

Java Stout (Foreign Extra Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.074 (°P): 18.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 7.48 %
Colour (SRM): 34.3 (EBC): 67.6
Bitterness (IBU): 59.1 (Average)

68.42% Pale Ale Malt
7.34% Munich II
6.76% Dry Malt Extract - Light
6.25% Crystal 60
6.18% Roasted Barley
5.06% Dextrose

3.5 g/L Willamette (7.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 68°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes
Fermented at 18°C with Wyeast 1335 - British Ale II

Upped Crystal and Roast, ditched chocolate and subbed some of the DME with dextrose, it's now a Foreign Extra!
Well it will be until I add the coffee, which I will start with 20g or so and go from there.

How we looking now? Speak now or forever hold your peace :ph34r:

I'd leave the chocolate malt in, it will give you beer more complexity (along with the roasted barley). The dextrose is fully fermentable so it will result in a dryer beer and you may be able to detect a bit of alcohol in the beer, which is not desirable. I'd stick with the DME.

On the fence about the choc. I'd only want a hint. Maybe 2%

I added the dextrose to dry it out a touch and bring the FG down to style.
I wouldn't think 5% in a stout like this would be much of an issue(?) I recall using similar quantities in IPA's without adverse affect.

I wouldnt of thought munich would of added much in this recipe but in saying that it is a base and can be used just as that. I'd also leave the chocolate malt in. Just a suggestion but maybe up the base a bit and leave out the extract and just use it if you dont hit your targets. Save it for the starters.

OK. I'll be adding a bit of choc back in, ditching the the munich, increasing base and hopefully I won't have to add in any DME.
Thanks all for the feedback, I will let you know how it goes :beer:

I think the current recipe looks good, I'm drinking something ATM that has a similar grist (8% roast, 8% crystal). Though I think the dextrose is a bit superfluous, if you want a drier beer you could lower the mash temp.

I've tried coffee grounds before and it ruined a great stout (YMMV). I would re-think adding coffee grounds, and instead look at adding hot/cold brewed coffee.

Hot coffee releases a lot of oil and will kill head retention.

Hi Felten, were they nice beans? freshly roasted and ground? What makes you think it ruined it?
I think I'll split the batch for a standard and a coffee slab. Cheers

They were freshly roasted and ground from Market Lane Coffee, I added 60 grams (probably medium grind) in ~20L at room temp, and left it for I believe 2 days. The flavour was just like chewing on 2 day old spent grinds. And I can tell you, after tasting some recently, that 2 years later the flavour had not mellowed at all.

Having said that, I think the contact time was too long, and the temperature too high. I would have preferred to do this at fridge temps and I'm not sure why I didn't. :huh: If I was going to do it again, those are the 2 changes I would make.

YMMV :)

Its amazing I found this thread, I logged in today to find out info on making a coffee stout I plan on brewing in a few weeks.

I was going to do cold extraction of the coffee - coarsely ground coffee in a plunger full of boiled cooled water, left in the fridge for 24 hours and tipped into the primary after 7 days.

Latest posts

Back