japanese kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

of mice and gods

Reaction score
hey guys,

Saw these in a bottle shop in Tokyo today and thought I`d share it with ya. Such a wide variety of kegs including 2L, 5L, 7L, 9L, 15L and 19L.

thought you`d get a kick out of it.

IMG_1806.JPG

2L keg? Do people have home draught setups in Japan?

Met a couple of blokes who had them.Mainly the very small resturants/food stalls use them.my mates small neighborhood Ramen resturant used 5L kegs as beer turnover wasnt much when I wasnt around :)

A 2L keg!?

Show them a pic of a darwin stubbie

anyone notice all the 9L looking cornies stacked up against the wall...? possibly with spear fittings i guess, but maybe Japan is the new source of quality party kegs?

Will check em out next time I am up there.How do yo/can u mod them?

hey guys,

to answer a few questions..

Yes, some people here have home draught set ups. You can either buy them, or if you go through enough kegs they will supply you with a set up for free (you have to give it back though). Or it is becoming popular to hire them for parties, particularly around sakura viewing season.

Homebrewing is virtually non-existant here as it is illegal to produce alcohol above 2 percent at home and booze is so cheap anyway.. particularly if you find a good bar that does nomihoudai (all you can drink), even better is tabe/nomihoudai (all you can eat and drink). The best I have experienced was in a nightclub in Osaka in 2008 when I paid the equivalent of 30 dollars, went in at 7pm and left at 6 am. All spirits/liquers/beers included, the only thing you had to pay extra for was red bull. But more typical is about 15 bucks for 1-2 hours of all you can drink beer. You will generally find that they wont let you go for a second round after they realise exactly how much beer the typical Australian can drink in a couple of hours. But even if that happens you hit the 7-11 and can grab a bottle of jack for 17 bucks and drink it in the street if you really want.

However, the kegs in the pic were all being supplied to small bars and restaurants.. and by small I mean some of these bars (izakayas) have only got 4-6 seats.. I asked about buying some but unfortunately no dice.

They are all spear fittings, generally `Sankey` type so you`d need a proprietary adaptor too.

Kanpai!
Al

I have a couple of 19-20l corneys that held Ashanti at some stage. They have the 2" fitting same as our kegs rather than corney style ball locks. Other than that they look the same.

kegs4.jpg

punkin said:
I have a couple of 19-20l corneys that held Ashanti at some stage. They have the 2" fitting same as our kegs rather than corney style ball locks. Other than that they look the same.

attachicon.gif
kegs4.jpg
i've seen these pop up on gumtree from time to time...

a source for the 9L versions would be great though

of mice and gods said:
Homebrewing is virtually non-existant here as it is illegal to produce alcohol above 2 percent at home and booze is so cheap anyway
Not exactly -- there is a vibrant homebrewing underground here in Japan, both among foreigners and Japanese. Yes, it's illegal to brew anything that's over 1% alcohol (not 2%), but as long as you don't call attention to yourself or try to sell it, no one will bother you. I was a homebrewer for 10 years before turning pro -- many of my friends continue to homebrew. Of course, it's nothing like the scene in Australia or the US. :super:

Admittedly I was quite surprised to see brew kits in Tokyu Hands, so I figured some people were doing it. But I've never met anyone doing it in my trips there. I did notice though there has been a definite growth in 'craftbeer' (or craft-ish style type beer), even Kirin are trying to go there a bit with Gran Dry (I still think out of the beers I hunted down, the one that stands out for me was TY Harbour Brewing's IPA). But I guess like anything in Japan, if you don't know how to find it.. then you wont.

My biggest stumbling block is my lack of kanji/hiragana skills for searching. I need to do a bit of a post of the beers I hunted down and advice what to try/where to go next time, I hope I could pick your brain for some info?

I'm also a little disappointed, we drove pretty close by Numazu on our way to Lake Yamanaka. I would have loved to have detoured to check out your brewery or grab some beers.

I loved this little Izakaya in Osaka, next to Umeda Station, the chef was named Charlie, and when I went back 2 years later he was still there and stoked to see me again. They had this mini-beer tower thing there, I assume it used some kind of very small keg. I wasn't a brewer then, so i didn't really pay much attention...But I saw heaps of them around.

U want me to answer this?as my answer will probably get me banned.

I'll answer that one tanukibrewer - I was there 3 weeks after the tsunami/fukushima deal and as you can see from my photo up the top, all my hair fell out...

Back