Japan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shed101

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Apparently, if we were all well-behaved people we'd do as we're told and only drink as much as government-type doctors tell us is healthy.

That's what all that nonsense about standard drinks is about.

In Australia a standard drink is 10g of pure alcohol and men are supposed to have no more than 2 per day or 14 per week (ie 140g alcohol).

But I noticed 'units' as they're called in Britain are a different size to those in Oz (8g of alcohol). However, they're told they can have up to 21 (168g) a week.
Presumably this is to help with the dreary weather.

Mr Wikipedia kindly surveyed a good number of countries and told me the following:

Denmark: 252g/week

Portugal: 259g/week

Japan: 276.5g/week - that's nearly twice as much as us!

... so why haven't these independent pollies brought this matter up. We need to reform our alcohol allowances!

wtf are you talking about?

No one is forcing you to limit yourself to that amount of alcohol.

This shit comes up all the time and it is absolute NONSENSE.

hahahaha fire up bum... but yes having been to japan i noticed that they love to drink and drinking is even permitted and beer sold on some railway stations, but i guess the difference is they are generally well behaved.. could you imagine if we were allowed to drink on the train or even be able to buy beer from beer vending machines like they can... the alcohol fueled violence would be out of control.

Selling beer on train stations? Can you imagine if they run out of V.B at Penrith station, it would be bigger than the Cronulla riots!

Was on the bullet train from Tokyo to Nagano and the fellow near me was having sushi and a large can of beer for breakfast. Champion. Certainly shows how people doing the wrong thing ruins it here for everyone else.

too true when i was there i had quite a few beers on the bullet from Tokyo to Kyoto... let me tell you i almost ruined it for them as well, they may stop serving aussies beer on the bullet now just a tip.

And street drinking is legal. Paid 800 yen for a can of beer from a vending machine on top of mt fujisan. I damn well earned that beer, but I can't say it really helped with the altittude sickness :icon_vomit:

Selling beer on train stations? Can you imagine if they run out of V.B at Penrith station, it would be bigger than the Cronulla riots!

Used to be one on the platform at Gosford.
The Sydney to Newcastle express even used to do a 5-10 min stop over in the afternoons.
Ahhh the red rattlers..... Suppose they needed it in the summer before they had aircon.

Too bad it's only mega swill beers you get from the vending machines. You should track down some of the better craftbreweries starting up there like Baird's and Kiuchi, both of which are starting to get distribution in Oz but they just seem to taste better over there in a small out-of-the-way bar :)

Really? I'd like to know where!

By the way, if you guys are ever in Tokyo and want to go to the best craft beers bar, it's Popeye (current beer list: http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~ppy/todaysbeer...dbepdf/toda.pdf, http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~ppy/todaysbeer...bepdf/todb.pdf). About a dozen barley wines on tap plus alot of IIPAs etc. It's a top-notch place!!

internationalbeershop.com.au and adelaidebiershop.com.au both have nest beers, purvis cellars also has baird's beer, no affiliation etc...

Yes, Popeye is very cool. I even became a member there and got a fancy gold card. I have to go back just so I can use it, I think :)

cheers! yes i also have the card :)
i think i got a discount with it but my memory is a bit hazy :s

Really? I'd like to know where!

I'd have thought you could get them in Warners on the bay if you're in Newcastle.

Grand Central Cellars in Brissy and I think Era in West End.

Cloud Wine in Melbourne...

Best contact palais imports for the Hitachino range - they ought to know your nearest stockists.

I got two Bairds Beer beers last week at Slowbeer (also sell online) and both were really nice.

Latest posts

Back