Japan In Review

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydneybrewer

Reaction score
just sharing the experiences of my Japan trip, have tried many beers so far some very good some very bad just thought i would share my thoughts.

the best beers :beerbang:
Ise Kadoya Brown Ale (but anything from them is good)
Bairds IIPA a good starter at 7.5% and very hoppy
Toshi's IPA and APA (from what i was told this guy named Toshi brews exclusively for a few bars/pubs around Tokyo. worth a try if you find it as it is perhaps the best IPA i have ever had especially if you like to be punched in the face by hops, but still balanced by nice malty sweetness)

the best Bar :party:
Popeyes in Ryogoku, Tokyo is very good, has a great selection, but the best thing is you can try the same glass of beer 4 ways, well three methods, four different tasting beers. 1 is hops heart where they poor 2 half pints of beer through 2 different types of hops, then you have the regular draft then the handpumped. i tried the Toshi's IPA these four ways and it was great all four ways, the draft is well balanced, the handpumped has very pronounced hop bitterness and the hops heart smells so awesome i had mine poured through cascade and saaz from what i could gather. (the bartender spoke poor english and i speak poor japanese).

the bad beers :icon_vomit:
ok just a couple bad experiences and just my opinion.
anthing i tried from Hitachinos Nest was very poor but especially their rose ale had a taste of sweet and sour pork...
Kyoto Craft Machiya beer, felt so ripped off each bottle sold for 6500 yen which is just over ten aus dollars each 330ml bottle, and the beer was shit to say the least i had the kolsch, the old ale and the dry stout. only the stout was drinkable the other 2 i only finished because i paid so much for them, these were my first beers in Kyoto.

the cool stuff: :super:
the beer vending machines on some of the stations and 1 outside the door of my hotel room
Kobe Beef: had the best steak i have ever had before in a little hole in the wall Kobe beef restaurant in Kyoto, its called Grill Miyata and its a must for anyone ever in Kyoto, also it says on the menu 1 drink included with meal but the guy behind the bar just keeps pulling out bottles of Japanese whiskey and spirits and filling your glass all night, i walked out of there very satisfied and very drunk.

anyway just thought i would share for anyone off to Japan.

just for anyone interested i took a pic of the days beer menu at Popeye's they had some really good imports on tap as well as the Japanese crafts.
DSCF0102.jpg

:icon_drool2:

So many choices, so little time.... Really wish I could go.....

:icon_drool2:

Hi I have just emailed this topic to my Japanese wife. We will be in Japan in Janurary and i really hope we can try out this restraunt. Sounds like my cup of tea (or Whiskey)

The hoppy beer you loved sounds great, i tyred a beer in Melbournes Young and Jacson called a Naked Ale it is the best beer ive ever had. If any one knows how to make it i would love the recipe. the description is under beers on tap http://www.youngandjacksons.com.au/beer.html

Hi I have just emailed this topic to my Japanese wife. We will be in Japan in Janurary and i really hope we can try out this restraunt. Sounds like my cup of tea (or Whiskey)

The hoppy beer you loved sounds great, i tyred a beer in Melbournes Young and Jacson called a Naked Ale it is the best beer ive ever had. If any one knows how to make it i would love the recipe. the description is under beers on tap http://www.youngandjacksons.com.au/beer.html

ok cool if you want to try the Kobe resteraunt here is the trip advisor link for that shows the details, the place is small and does not have it's own website.
Grill Miyata reviews

That's awesome!

i love Japan! great country!

i went 5 years ago when i wasn't as knowledgable about beer as i am today so didn't look for any of the micros.

I did go to Sopporo/Yebisu beer museum & went to the Asahi giant golden turd & Kirrin bar in Shibuya & tried a bunch of great beers.
Also Tried loads of the different commercial stuff from the 24/7 stores.

Back