Jao The Ultimate Beginners Mead Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a batch of this and also used mj mead yeast, I left it in the fermenter until the fruit dropped out (about 4 months) and it cleared naturally, no topping up from the original 3.8 litres. Tastes fantastic !
Was it hard getting oranges out?

Wasn't for mead Ron I was going to put it in a beer after reading Gordon Strong's book, he actually makes mead as well I don't know if any of his recipes are out there.
Has any one used french oak on this recipe. Thinking about using some chips for my second batch

I did a batch of this and also used mj mead yeast, I left it in the fermenter until the fruit dropped out (about 4 months) and it cleared naturally, no topping up from the original 3.8 litres. Tastes fantastic !
Did you use whole packet of my yeast? I did without thinking and I hope all the honey flavour doesn't get fermented out.

Do u think I might of stuffed it by adding the whole pack?

No I don’t think so, the old boy a my lhbs always says an over pitch is better than an underpitch, prob not ideal but the end result should be ok.

Do u think I might of stuffed it by adding the whole pack?
If you use a pitch rate calculator (I do) you may find that the whole pack is very close to standard correct pitch rate. i frowned at the 3g whatever quoted in the original recipe but then again the writer made strong points not to deviate from the original recipe. The idea is that the yeast isnt strong enough to completely ferment the high gravity so it will stall and leave some sweetness in sugars un-fermented.
I struggle with this theory though. Especially if you bottle it you could end up with bottle bombs so I prefer the idea of better pitch rate to ferment it out fully.
$0.02

If you use a pitch rate calculator (I do) you may find that the whole pack is very close to standard correct pitch rate. i frowned at the 3g whatever quoted in the original recipe but then again the writer made strong points not to deviate from the original recipe. The idea is that the yeast isnt strong enough to completely ferment the high gravity so it will stall and leave some sweetness in sugars un-fermented.
I struggle with this theory though. Especially if you bottle it you could end up with bottle bombs so I prefer the idea of better pitch rate to ferment it out fully.
$0.02
Cheers buddy

Time for sure. I used the full pack of MJ Mead yeast too and it still looks like it will take three months! Its been 50 days and still looks a long way off finishing.

Time for sure. I used the full pack of MJ Mead yeast too and it still looks like it will take three months! Its been 50 days and still looks a long way off finishing.
It's smelling delicious, not in a rush I'm thinking at least 6 months berore tasting good

It's smelling delicious, not in a rush I'm thinking at least 6 months berore tasting good
I somewhat listened to this podcast while brewing. https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-40-session-mead-kiley-gwynn
It talks about Session Mead. Lower ABV, carbonated, served chilled etc that can be in your keg in two weeks. It talks about multiple additions of yeast nutrient to make it all brew out faster.
Maybe worth a listen. I would like one of these on tap for Christmas.

How's your jao going? Mine is still cloudy as hell. My mate did his with the bakers yeast and it cleared up crystal clear in 2 months. Next jao I make is definitely going to be with bakers yeast

Hi everyone, new comer here. I’ve just bottled my first batch of JAOM which was exactly as the recipe said. I haven’t sampled it yet (damn it smells strong) but I’m pretty excited that it’s worked. I used orange blossom honey for this batch

I’m just wondering if anyone has substituted the oranges out for something like pears or nectarines and blueberries instead of sultanas.

Any advice is appreciated.

Here’s a picture of my first bottles (if I’ve attached it correctly)

Attachments

• 95BA0917-6F16-4580-9B03-905374C728E0.jpeg
    95BA0917-6F16-4580-9B03-905374C728E0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
Hi everyone, new comer here. I’ve just bottled my first batch of JAOM which was exactly as the recipe said. I haven’t sampled it yet (damn it smells strong) but I’m pretty excited that it’s worked. I used orange blossom honey for this batch

I’m just wondering if anyone has substituted the oranges out for something like pears or nectarines and blueberries instead of sultanas.

Any advice is appreciated.

Here’s a picture of my first bottles (if I’ve attached it correctly)
Looks tasty, I can't wait till mine clears up. I should have stuck to the damn recipe and used bakers yeast..

So I decided to bite the bullet and try a batch with nectarines, blueberries and bloodwood honey. I deleted the clove from the original recipe and added just a touch more nutmeg, an extra cinnamon stick and a full split vanilla bean. I’m just waiting for it to come back down to room temperature before adding the yeast but so far it looks and smells amazing. The pictures don’t do it justice, the colour is such a deep nutty red. I was a little worried the honey would be too much but I’ve read a few people on here have used it with great success.

Attachments

• 037C63A7-B6C8-4456-A70F-6426B8448CDF.jpeg
    037C63A7-B6C8-4456-A70F-6426B8448CDF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • 51FBBBD8-D013-4FF0-ACD3-775BDEF284CB.jpeg
    51FBBBD8-D013-4FF0-ACD3-775BDEF284CB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
Back