Jao The Ultimate Beginners Mead Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after months of reading and thinking I have finally had a crack at this mead making business. A pair of twin JAOs following the OP but with Tandaco bread yeast from Woolies. Photo is two hours after pitching yeast and all seems to be progressing well. Looking forward to the end result but have 10 more demijohns to fill so will be trying other recipes too. I am particularly keen on a sweet traditional, so that will be the next trial batch.

GMAvatar2.jpg

Good stuff Rod. It turns into quite a nice drop. What I might try next is to upscale it into a bigger fermenter so I can sink the ingredients under the surface. See if that has any type of effect on it.

We’ve just headed off on a couple week trip and I put in a couple of bottles of my last JAO. I’ll let you know how that tastes. Added ginger paste in it.

Good stuff Rod. It turns into quite a nice drop. What I might try next is to upscale it into a bigger fermenter so I can sink the ingredients under the surface. See if that has any type of effect on it.

We’ve just headed off on a couple week trip and I put in a couple of bottles of my last JAO. I’ll let you know how that tastes. Added ginger paste in it.
Don't you forget that vanilla bean.

Being my first batch I stuck to the recipe as warned, so I supposedly have no one to blame if it falls over. Adding ginger and or vanilla bean sounds nice though. I am worried how I wi get the oranges out of the demijohn, I hope they just turn to slop. I really had to squeeze the portions together them into the jar ;-)

They’ll come out no worries mate. Once you’ve syphoned off your good stuff just tip it upside down and give it a few shakes. They’ll work their way to the mouth of the demijohn then stick your finger in and drag them out.

They’ll come out no worries mate. Once you’ve syphoned off your good stuff just tip it upside down and give it a few shakes. They’ll work their way to the mouth of the demijohn then stick your finger in and drag them out.
Thanks for the tip Gilly.

So I tasted my ginger JAO tonight. Could definitely taste the orange in it. The ginger was very faint but it was there. Not sure if accidentally leaving the cloves out has any impact on any of it. It’s feels a lot stronger than the 14.2% ABV. It’s a great drop to have while having a beer.

Interestingly I mixed a bit of soda water in half a horn (drinking in horn mugs...) with it and it was a little smoother if you like. Obviously weakened it but it was slightly more pleasant.

I don’t think I’m at 100% with this yet. I’ll try it with decent yeast, different honey, a few different ingredients (won’t forget the vanilla bean mtb!!).

I’m enjoying it and that’s why I started brewing it. My mate that I usually drink with seems to enjoy it so that’s a bonus.

So put down my first mead this morning. Just followed the standard JAO recipe so will be interested to see how it turns out. OG 1120!! Just a little higher than I am used to with Brewing.
IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

I just bought all of the ingredients for this recipe and realised I bought allowrie brand of honey, which has been on the news lately. Has anyone used this brand with good results? Or should I return it too the shops. On the news it was labelled fake honey...which is a bit concerning

Did you try this recipe? Was wondering how much you top it off after the active fermentation has ceased.
I'm waiting for mine to show no bubbles rising. Its very clear, still tiny bubbles rising after 2 months.
Top Off? Do you mean racking it? I racked to secondary after 1 month. Then recently used bentonite to clear it. Thats when I can now see its still got lots of tiny bubbles rising!
I want to at least have one of my Meads to be in a serving bottle for Christmas! :question:

I'm waiting for mine to show no bubbles rising. Its very clear, still tiny bubbles rising after 2 months.
Top Off? Do you mean racking it?
I think the recipe said fill to 3.8 litres leaving space for the high krausen. And then top up after froth has settled. Top up with water I guess, I'm not going to use a secondary.

Top Off? Do you mean racking it? I racked to secondary after 1 month. Then recently used bentonite to clear it. Thats when I can now see its still got lots of tiny bubbles rising!
I want to at least have one of my Meads to be in a serving bottle for Christmas! :question:
2months and still bubbling , that's gotta suck. Hopefully it will mellow out soon. Can't rush it I guess

I broke the rule of the Original recipe by racking to secondary. I didnt like the idea of leaving so long on the yeast cake with all that orange/and peel breaking down that slowly for what may be 3 months. It does taste good so far though.

I broke the rule of the Original recipe by racking to secondary. I didnt like the idea of leaving so long on the yeast cake with all that orange/and peel breaking down that slowly for what may be 3 months. It does taste good so far though.
I used mangroves jack yeast because I couldn't find the Fleishman's yeast. I don't know how I'm going to get the oranges out lol

I did a batch of this and also used mj mead yeast, I left it in the fermenter until the fruit dropped out (about 4 months) and it cleared naturally, no topping up from the original 3.8 litres. Tastes fantastic !

Latest posts

Back