January? No. Febuary? No. Marzen!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony M

Reaction score
Its March already and there was some semi-enthusiastic discussion among the Perth guys at Barfridges the other day about celebrating Octoberfest. Well, a Marzen is supposed to be made now, carefully nurtured then unveiled in October. I have never made one but I'm willing to give it a go. The Perth meet could be quite interesting if there were a couple or three of those to compare.

Tony,

Sounds good. Do you have a Marzen recipe in mind? Did you want to have a few brewers attempt the same recipe and taste-test alongside each other?

Or have a go at different recipes?

Now are we planning the aging until october part :eek: I have problems with long term storage & evaporation :D

I have a similar problem with aging, only (I'll be more specific ;)) my loss problem comes down to regular distribution in 425mL glasses...

Deebee,
I hadnt thought that far ahead. We could go either way as long as we catered for both mashers and extractors. We dont want drawn swords at dawn with seconds on hand, just a fun day. There seems to be plenty of recipes for both. What got me started was the link below. The guy seems infinitely serious about it to the extent of using only first runnings.

marzen

I would be pretty happy to have another go and see if I can do a better job of the oktoberfest I put into the Sandpeoples case. Maybe by Oktober I can get it carbonated right and not make it as sweet as last time

BTW has anyone tried the rooftop red lager from matilda bay at the Queens? I had few yesterday and reckon that its a bit oktoberfesty/marzeny styled.

Cheers

Ausdb

I reckon it's on then. I'll even put up my place for the gig.

Can we throw it open to Marzen/Oktoberfest/Vienna/Munich lagers?

Guest Lurker, I can lend you a thermostat for your frig if you need one.

I'll be brewing a Marzen next up after my mash paddle entry.

The paddle brew will be concocted at closed session over easter sometime... no peaking OK! :ph34r:

.... unless you bring beer ;)

Asher for now

Hello Perthingtons!
Hope you all enjoy your 'Sand groptoberfest', we did the same thing here last year. I think we had about 12 Oky's all up which we all gave a score, brewington brad coming up on top at 'floctoberfest'.
Over all most beers were very similiar with all the best using weyermann munich malts.

Jayse

sheesh ! Blink and you miss some of these threads...

Sounds like a great idea - my next will be a Maerzen/Vienna then. Its very illuminating to compare styles and processes side by side. Do we stick to similar ingredients or just rely on the style guidelines?

Timing is a consideration too, we would need a minimum of 6-8 weeks I would have thought.

Jayse, always the visionary, has named it Sandgroptoberfest so I propose Oktober. That way, there's plenty of time for a second attempt if your first batch doesn't turn out or "evaporates". Might even get some decent weather then, too.

No reason we can't have another barby in the meantime.

I'll go along with DeeBee on his last two posts. W'll have to talk about food too. I have great memories of Munich and Vienna. Bugger the churches and museums, those sausages in buns the street vendors sold were the very best and that totally cholesterol free food in the beer halls was to die for.

deebee said:
Jayse, always the visionary, has named it Sandgroptoberfest
[post="48409"][/post]​

The event iam sure will be huge. You even have enough time to convince your wifes' to come along dressed up as beer wenches'. Maybe not but you do have plenty of time to polish up your steins.

How do you keep the sand out of your mash tuns?.....just joking, take it easy fellow brewingintons.

Jayse

A 1 inch layer of yellow sand in the bottom of the tun will stop even the most gooey mash from sticking..... <_<

I just found this thread after looking for info on octoberfests, so I guess I'm in for this one.

Got my Marzen (& a Smoked Marzen) made in early May....
5 months lagering should see it ready for the Sandgroptoberfest & comp season.

its daaaark,,, right on the upper limit for the style

Asher for now

Haven't even started! Could be tricky timing wise in Oct as I am to become a father some time mid to end of that month :ph34r: I shall brew on all the same, no room for 6 months of lagering here though!

Tony M said:
Its March already and there was some semi-enthusiastic discussion among the Perth guys at Barfridges the other day about celebrating Octoberfest. Well, a Marzen is supposed to be made now, carefully nurtured then unveiled in October.
[post="48235"][/post]​

Thinking about this - if that applies to the northern hemisphere shouldn't the Antipodean equivalent be to brew in September and drink in April? Mind you Aprilfest just doesn't have the same ring to it. ;)

Back