Jamil Does Arrogant *******

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
heads up for any brewing network fans

This week on Can You Brew It Jamil and Tasty are faced with one of their toughest challenges yet: Arrogant ******* from Stone Brewing Company. Stone has been hush hush about this recipe for years now, and while many clone recipes have been circulated around the web, our crew found all of them to be lacking. In this attempt, we get as much help as possible from Brewmaster Mitch Steele, without violating Stone's privacy on this beer. But the rest is left up to our experts. Tune in and find out if the boys were able to get it right.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/548

thats 8:30am Saturday in the east. I will definitely be getting my chores done tonight so i can have some time free to listen in live.
joe

heads up for any brewing network fans

This week on Can You Brew It Jamil and Tasty are faced with one of their toughest challenges yet: Arrogant ******* from Stone Brewing Company. Stone has been hush hush about this recipe for years now, and while many clone recipes have been circulated around the web, our crew found all of them to be lacking. In this attempt, we get as much help as possible from Brewmaster Mitch Steele, without violating Stone's privacy on this beer. But the rest is left up to our experts. Tune in and find out if the boys were able to get it right.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/548

thats 8:30am Saturday in the east. I will definitely be getting my chores done tonight so i can have some time free to listen in live.
joe
Thanks for the heads-up on this Joe! may give the live feed a go..

Give it a go Maple and when your done doing the hard work, post up the recipe for all us lazy bastards ;)

if i listen live, i'll post it cm2.

Give it a go Maple and when your done doing the hard work, post up the recipe for all us lazy bastards ;)
lazy...I think you'll be quite busy on Sat...relocation etc...

just for fun (and potential embarrassment) i thought i would post a recipe i did about two years ago. overall i thought the flavor was pretty good. fg was about 1.020 which made it a bit too sweet and masked some of the bitterness. if i could get it to drop abour 4 or 5 more point i think it would have been pretty close. yeast was US05 iirc. any others out there...

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 22.00 Wort Size (L): 22.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.90
Anticipated OG: 1.077 Plato: 18.68
Anticipated SRM: 18.0
Anticipated IBU: 76.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 28.39 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.060 SG 14.69 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.8 3.00 kg. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
33.9 2.00 kg. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
8.5 0.50 kg. Weyermann Wheat Dark Germany 1.039 8
3.4 0.20 kg. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.033 150
3.4 0.20 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 178

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 47.4 60 min.
20.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 24.0 40 min.
20.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 5.3 5 min.

Thanks Joe, for keeping your finger on the pulse.

I will be doing my best to tune in.

I recently tasted my clone vs an imported Arrogant. The import had more body and slickness, with a lingering toffee flavour that mine was missing. My beer was more sessionable, IMHO.

Maybe its the American crystals, I was thinking.

Ive been catching the live feeds from the BN for a while.

Its good to see them in the video cast and the live chat is ROFL.

So catch it if you can

Wow, awesome!

I'd tune in, if i wasn't in Vietnam atm <_<

wait... why the <_< Ive got Uber cheap beer to keep me happy! :D

Looks like i will be downloading the podcast as soon as i get back to the nanny state!

Cheers.

They did not clone this recipe, but was very close for a first go. They suggested some changes which i'll list after the original recipe. I think there will be another show on this.

~23L batch
70% eff
og 1071
fg 1013
90min boil
80ibu rager
colour: ~27srm
yeast: WLP007 or WY1098
mash @ 65degC
80%AA

6.35kg pale/2-row
0.50kg Crystal 150 (UK)
0.25kg Crystal 15 (US)
0.25kg Crystal 40 (US)
0.25kg Crystal 80 (US)
0.15kg Chocolate (US)

28g Chinook @ 85
14g Chinook @ 45
14g Chinook @ 15
14g Chinook @ 0

Suggest changes by Jamil:
- reduce 85min addition (shoot for 70-75ibu rager total)
- halve the chocolate to 75g (shooting for ~21srm) or possibly eliminate the chocolate
- Reduce the Crystal 150 to 400g and all others to 200g
- reduce the base malt to get 7.2%abv (the original recipe came to 7.7)
- double the flameout addition to 28g
- mash @ 64
- ferment @ 20-21

Cheers guys
Let me know if ive stuffed something up! :p

at first glance without ever tasting said ******* that recipe even with the changes looks like way to much crystal and bugger all hops.

the Americans loooveee Crystal and Dextrin malts thats for sure

I know what i'll be berewing when i get back to local soil!

if i could get it to drop abour 4 or 5 more point i think it would have been pretty close.
You know white sugar or dex has a place in brewing outside of kit newbies and belgian beers ;)

Thanks Joe, for keeping your finger on the pulse.

I will be doing my best to tune in.

I recently tasted my clone vs an imported Arrogant. The import had more body and slickness, with a lingering toffee flavour that mine was missing. My beer was more sessionable, IMHO.

Maybe its the American crystals, I was thinking.

Les - could it be the colour of the crystals you were using? or you were already using the darkest crystal available?

Suggest changes by Jamil:
- reduce 85min addition (shoot for 70-75ibu rager total)
- halve the chocolate to 75g (shooting for ~21srm) or possibly eliminate the chocolate
- Reduce the Crystal 150 to 400g and all others to 200g
- reduce the base malt to get 7.2%abv (the original recipe came to 7.7)
- double the flameout addition to 28g
- mash @ 64
- ferment @ 20-21

Cheers guys
Let me know if ive stuffed something up! :p
thanks for posting the recipe jimmeh. in the end i had to head out saturday morning so havent listened to the show yet.

after looking at their attempt, im not surprised it wasnt cloned. looks pretty 'basic' with just a bunch of crystal and a bit of chocolate. would love to hear how their second attempt goes if they do one. until then, id probably stick with something closer to what i tried.

sammus, i would be the last person to look down on using sugar in a brew. that attempt was my first for this style of beer and even with my second i would probably try other things to bring down the FG before resorting to sugar. the problem was more with my brewing practice than ingredients. plenty of room for improvement there trust me :D
joe

I think I enjoyed listening to this CYBI episode more than any of the others.

I know the brewer makes a big difference to the product, but if you are given the recipe, as they have been on every other episode, any decent brewer should be able to knock out a great version of it.

I thought this episode was great as it was the two brewers genuinely trying to work out what went in with almost no help at all. Listening to their reasoning for ingredients and subsequent changes was really interesting and i'm looking forward to seeing how they progress.

It would make sense to me though, having two brewers like Jamil and McDole, to have each of them brewing just slightly different recipes at the same time, rather than one batch at a time by one brewer.

Could become a very long process - and perhaps not that great to listen to. But I'm keen to find out how to make it.

Kev

Back