Jamie (Sydney)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBH

Reaction score
Hi all,

Very new to this and planing on doing my first brew this weekend (IPA).
Question: If I leave bottled for 3-4 weeks is this to long before moving to the fridge? I hear that it should be drank young.

Welcome aboard. 2 to 3 weeks at temp 18 degrees or higher will be fine in sampling a few. Is the IPA a kit brew? If so 6 to 8 weeks allows for a bit of nice maturing. For best results ferment for 2 weeks.
Running two fermenters, a week apart, is a good way to build up stock whilst still enjoying some of your nice brew.
A good thing to do is sample a few bottles at 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 weeks to note the difference and improvement, then settle on what’s best for you.
Cheers.

Thanks grott, this is the feedback I was after.
Yes it's just a kit brew to start off with, will take the sampling advice on board. Cheers

Good one. Remember it’s not “just a kit brew” it’s your brew and by doing things right, kits do produce bloody good drops.So carry on, perfect your processes and enjoy.

Last edited:
Welcome JBH,

I my kit days I made every mistake you could imagine. Don't be afraid to check in with any struggles you have. This community is not one to scoff at newbie errors because we were all there once. Best of luck to you.

Garf

Just try and keep the temp around 18*C . This will give you a better flavour than what the instructions say .oh and remember sanitise sanitise sanitise anything that touches the wort after boiling

Looking forward to doing my first brew this weekend.
Thinking of steeping some Amarillo and cascade hops to an IPA brew kit ????

Go for it.Steeping those hops will provide a dramatic improvement to this brew.

So first brew is complete.
I think everything went to plan.
Current temp is 20*C and original gravity reading was 1.050.

Congratulations! The fermentation process produces its own heat once the yeast are blooming so keep an eye on temperature creeping up

Everything has been going well with temperature between 18-20c.
Now on day 3 airlock has stopped and I can’t see much Kraeusen.
Should I check gravity or do have nothing to worry about and leave for a few more days?

Check the gravity over the next 3 days. 3 days of the same gravity and it is done, unless of course, the gravity reading is way high.

Thanks, gravity was 1010 and tasted [emoji108]. I’ll keep any eye on the gravity but plan to leave in the FV for a further 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back