James Squires Rum Rebellion Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would go well with a piccolo.
What's a baby flute got to do with drinking beer? :blink:

I can see KoNG now, having a sip of his Rum Porter, slowly placing his glass down and reaching for his piccolo. Then he thunders out a little piercing jig while doing some kind of folk dancing :lol:

He means a piccolo latte. Sort of similar to a macchiato but with a little more milk.

Coffee for the uninitiated. :lol:

Warren -

:lol: :lol:

Warren step up and receive your prize...!
sorry guys i wish i did mean a cigar, but i aints the smokin kind.
that said.... Samwise is still right, i do a little jig each morning as i pull my morning piccolo :eek:

He means a piccolo latte. Sort of similar to a macchiato but with a little more milk.

Coffee for the uninitiated. :lol:

Warren -

bah humbug! Milk? In coffee?

latte - French for 'shandy'

mycle.

Thanks to an anonymous goodwill patron I'm giving the Rum Rebellion Porter a tasting.
Great initial rum aroma. The typical JS Porter colour.
Up front is still the dominance of the porter, but that fades immediately to be replaced with a bit more than just a hint of rum right through to the back of the palette. Not over powering, not too much, but destinctive.
Not a bad drop. Maybe not quite a session beer unless you aren't like me who did a few big sessions on rum in your late teens :eek:

Doc

Cant wait to give this a try, even though i've had that crazy Rum session.. and hence cant stomach the stuff.
i'm hoping that i can find that goodwill patron. B)

Didnt see it on the west coast last week so im hoping it gets around the country so we can try it out.

Cheers
Big d

This Porter is taking on the hype of the first grouse of the season !

I can see it now- rumours of false sightings, deals done in dark alleys, WRX drivers with duff duff music offering the porter to desperate brewers. "concerned" social commentators bemoaning its influence on once fine upstanding family men. Self doubt - "why haven't I been offered any.

I wonder if Chuck is aware of what he's started.

This Porter is taking on the hype of the first grouse of the season !

I can see it now- rumours of false sightings, deals done in dark alleys, WRX drivers with duff duff music offering the porter to desperate brewers. "concerned" social commentators bemoaning its influence on once fine upstanding family men. Self doubt - "why haven't I been offered any.

I wonder if Chuck is aware of what he's started.

i blame Gerard..!!!!
has duff had a music genre named after him...? what a cool guy. :unsure:

Here's a bit of guff from L-N (definitely no affilliation):

RUM REBELLION PORTER
Our Winter Limited Release Brew
Yes, the rumours are true. A new winter brew has been keeping our brewers incredibly busy over the last few months - refining its delicate flavours and making sure it has aged just right. It's been hard coming up with a winter warmer that could meet the standard and reputation of our Australian Strong Ale.

But we have and we are happy to announce a very special Porter brew that has been aged in rum barrels for some months now, and our hardworking brewers can proudly say that this is the first of its kind.

Rum Rebellion Porter, a kissing cousin of stout, is the colour of porter and is not unlike the ruby-mahogany glow of dark rum. Left for some months to mature in rum casks, this higher gravity ale is decanted and blended to give it a considerable structure, flavour and head. During aging it takes on the earthy, vanilla undertone of oak, while rum echoes lengthen the palate to create a smooth, satisfying finish.

ON TAP - POURING FROM 7th AUGUST 2006
You will be able to find the Rum Rebellion Porter on tap exclusively at the following locations around Australia:
Nicholson's Bar & Grill, Cnr Nicholson and Birnam Road, Canningvale WA
Worldsend Hotel, 208 Hindley Street, Adelaide SA
James Squire Brewhouse, the Portland Hotel, Cnr Little Collins and Russell St, Melbourne VIC
James Squire Brewhouse, 16/439 Docklands Drive Waterfront City, Docklands VIC
James Squire Brewhouse, 22 The Promenade, King Street Wharf, Sydney NSW
Rum Rebellion Porter will also be available nationally in all good bottleshops.

Cheers
Peter

Now i find out it is on tap in W.A and im back in the N.T.By the time i get back to W.A it will be nearing summer and the limited release will be over. :angry:

Now i find out it is on tap in W.A and im back in the N.T.By the time i get back to W.A it will be nearing summer and the limited release will be over. :angry:
You wouldn't happen to know a good bottle shop in Darwin would you? I am up here for three weeks and wouldn't mind trying one.

Dan Murphys in Middle Park, Brisbane is getting this beer in the next week. I gave them a call and reserved a case. Can't wait to tuck into it! They said there is VERY limited quantities available and that it will sell out very quickly.

Cheers - Snow.

Has the Rum Rebellion Porter made its way into Dan Murphys in Sydney yet?
Am keen to try it.

Cheers
BS

You wouldn't happen to know a good bottle shop in Darwin would you? I am up here for three weeks and wouldn't mind trying one.

try vintage cellars in Cavenagh St - not a bad selection all round, it's probably your best (and perhaps only) bet.

I was lucky enough to have tried this Last Saturday.

Must say, the first mouthful surprised me. I was expecting rum, but this was something else. Must say however that with every mouthful I had I liked it more and more. Even the wife(an avid non beer lover) thought it was rather nice. Gives me an excuse to buy a carton now, but I might hide a six pack from her :p

Well done to JS for such a lovely warming winter Beer. Perhaps next year they can bring it out again only a little earlier.

Cheers

HK

Sorry macr im over in Arnhemland hour and 20 flight from Darwin so cant help you there.Maybe Bonk will have an idea as he is Darwin based.
Out of curiosity as a person who hasnt tried this yet anyone care to have a guess as to how much rum to add to say a 22-23 litre batch of porter to make a similar sorta rebellious porter.

Cheers
Big D

you can get it at any vintage cellars store now for $16 a 6 pack or about $50 a case

drinking one now. very much like the normal porter but with sublt rum flavour. very nice but i was expecting something a little stronger and more complex.

Back