James Squires Malt Runner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been pestering the local bottleshops trying to get a case but they are all telling me the Tasmanian alocation has been delayed and decreased. After reading this tread I'm wondering if it's worth the efort. I'll keep trying though as I have missed out on past seasonals.

Any one in tas got there hands on any?

depends on where in tassie mate, alot of the bottleshops in Hobart have it. Just bought a 6 pack from the 9/11 on Sandy Bay Rd, also know that Coolwine in the city stock it. And if you havent been to Coolwine yet... Well. I wont spoil the suprise!!

Certainly better than the Mad Brewer's Rasberry Wheat anyway :icon_vomit:

And that apple saison.

Why are some people getting so defensive about this beer? It hasn't really been panned. Most criticism seems to be based on genuine experience and perception rather than some sort of "tall-poppy" bullshit some are suggesting. Is JS a brewery many have a soft spot for as it produced their "gateway" beer?

And that apple saison.

Why are some people getting so defensive about this beer? It hasn't really been panned. Most criticism seems to be based on genuine experience and perception rather than some sort of "tall-poppy" bullshit some are suggesting. Is JS a brewery many have a soft spot for as it produced their "gateway" beer?

Maybe right there bum, it is a gateway beer.
I'll defend it though on the basis that I simply enjoyed it. Each to their own and we all have different tastes which are perhaps molded upon what we have had the opportunity or inclination to consume. There really does seem to be a bit of a quality control issue with the beer though.

Kind of like a thin Toohey's old with a slight cherry flavour. I found this brew a bit disappointing.

I reckon piss of the cherry and make a nice, rich, malty dark ale! :p

And that apple saison.

I didn't mind the apple saison so much, although again I didn't think it was a great beer.

I think that perhaps JS do cop a fair bit over their treatment of some beers, but then again I think it's justified in some ways.
I don't know the answer though...

Personally I have mixed feelings about the beers, and couldn't care much about the brewery per se.
Any brewery that produces the Australian Strong Ale, the original Hop Thief, which started my love for Nelson Sauvin, amongst others, is alright by me.

But then again, there was that Rasberry Wheat...

I quite enjoyed the Pepperberry, hated the Rasberry Wheat, but am rather indifferent to Malt Runner.
I think if I had to pick a bottle between that and Fat Yak, I'd take the Fat Yak...

I just cracked another bottle after eating some spicy, greasy Indian pakoras. All of a sudden, the cherry coke flavour is coming out everywhere in this beer. I like it much better now. The moral here is to drink Malt Runner with lots of greasy, spicy, salty food.

interesting that this beer's write up in the epicure (link), says they use cherry syrup rather than cherry juice as JS states they use. it would explain why its not as 'fresh' or as good as we hoped.

interesting that this beer's write up in the epicure (link), says they use cherry syrup rather than cherry juice as JS states they use. it would explain why its not as 'fresh' or as good as we hoped.

Interesting reading there CM2. Cocoa powder was responsible for the chocolate up front then? Sure it could of been better but it could of been worse.
That Moo Brew Vintage Imperial Stout looks the goods, hard to improve on that one form the sounds of it.

Pretty sure the reason for using Cherry Whatever is to add sucrose to dry out the beer, so why is everyone looking for Cherry flavour/aroma. Don't think it was meant to be a fruit beer.

Cheers,

Screwy

Pretty sure the reason for using Cherry Whatever is to add sucrose to dry out the beer, so why is everyone looking for Cherry flavour/aroma. Don't think it was meant to be a fruit beer.

Cheers,

Screwy
could be. i assumed they were aiming for a flavour hint, rather than it be a substantial amount to warrent it being labeled a fruit beer.

Boagsy - yeah i meant to comment on the cocoa powder as well. unles the reporter didnt know what coch malt was and assumed it was cocoa powder... never know with these 'reporters'

if the article is right then a 'clone' version improved could be great

edit: not wanting to get off topic, but an article about seasonal releases that doesnt go into things like RedHill's imperial stouts and all the other breweries is a bit poor, but not unexpected

I reckon it's been taken from the James Squire's Brewers' Blog http://www.jamessquire.com.au/blog/index.p...-by-tony-jones/

The section on the beer itself,

'So, to add a twist to our 2010 Winter Release James Squire Malt Runner, we have developed a blend of no less than five malts, including three of the darker offerings (Chocolate Malt, Crystal Malt, Roasted Wheat) in a beer that is unashamedly focussed on the complexity that malt can deliver to the finished beer. The slight moderate bitterness (around 21 Bitterness Units) contributed by the US Citra hops plays only a secondary role. In conjunction with the slight acidity gained by adding cherry juice to the whirlpool at the equivalent of 10% of the final brew volume, it does help to balance the maltiness of the brew without yielding excessive bitterness.'
Written by Tony Jones

And in the responses,

'James Squire
http://www.jamessquire.com.au/"[color="#455b12 says: June 2, 2010 at 7:48 amHi Steve,
thanks for taking the time to give us some positive feedback.
This was a fairly complex brew to produce given the addition of cocoa powder to the kettle, and Cherry juice late into whirpool'

Pretty sure the reason for using Cherry Whatever is to add sucrose to dry out the beer, so why is everyone looking for Cherry flavour/aroma.

Can't speak for anyone else but I was looking for it because I saw the cherry aspect being mentioned second in the tasting notes on the bottle so thought they were hoping it'd be there - which it wasn't in my sixer.

[EDIT: I should say that I didn't notice it - maybe it was there.]

There appears to be two different reports from the brewery regarding the cherry juice, the last one that I previoulsy posted gives a figure of 10% and the quote in post 1 gives around 15%. This could explain why people are giving different observations.

'Fresh Cherry Bouquet' on the side of the bottle - I didn't get this
'hint of cherry' on the front of the bottle - this is what I did get

perhaps mine was the 10% cherry juice, I'm confused

Purchased a sixer of this last week & only just hit the second last bottle tonight after running out of everything else.

Without the cherry extract, it could indeed be a very fine winter beer...with the cherry it's like I'm drinking the jam from a black forrest cake! :icon_vomit:

PZ.

Not a fan, glad I only bought 2 bottles. Don't know what's wrong with it but it's not something I like. Reminds me of a Kriek gone terribly terribly wrong

Can't speak for anyone else but I was looking for it because I saw the cherry aspect being mentioned second in the tasting notes on the bottle so thought they were hoping it'd be there - which it wasn't in my sixer.

[EDIT: I should say that I didn't notice it - maybe it was there.]

Not in any of the ones I have bought either Bum, didn't really expect it or look for it was more after the dryness eluded to in the blog. Typical of JS to use roasted wheat, they would have it lying around (JS Porter) it gives a little hint of cocoa. Interesting that it stands out so much to some palates and not to others, the 10% 15% thing is interesting too. Must have a look at the bottle code on the ones I have left and see where they were brewed. Anyway I love this beer, would like to clone it with a little personal twist.

Cheers,

Screwy

Not in any of the ones I have bought either Bum, didn't really expect it or look for it was more after the dryness eluded to in the blog. Typical of JS to use roasted wheat, they would have it lying around (JS Porter) it gives a little hint of cocoa. Interesting that it stands out so much to some palates and not to others, the 10% 15% thing is interesting too. Must have a look at the bottle code on the ones I have left and see where they were brewed. Anyway I love this beer, would like to clone it with a little personal twist.

Cheers,

Screwy

There shouldn't be any difference between the bottles. I have been told by the Senior Brewer for LN that there was only a single batch brewed so all bottles (and kegs) have an identical product.

There shouldn't be any difference between the bottles. I have been told by the Senior Brewer for LN that there was only a single batch brewed so all bottles (and kegs) have an identical product.

Well in that case they have been handled very very poorly at times by the delivery and supply chain because there was a marked difference between the first bottle I tried, that someone would have purchased from Dan's or the like, and the bottle I got from Micro Beer Club.
The former was actually undrinkable. I had a tasting glass worth and didn't finish it.

Ok dgilks, thought they made batches at a couple of locations. Was going to check the bottle code to see which Brewery's product it was.

Screwy

Back