James Squires Malt Runner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa

Reaction score
Got the following email earlier this week from James Squires, (as Im sure a lot of others here have got the same);

Yes folks, winter is just about on our doorstep once more and that means its time for our James Squire winter limited release to hit the market. Over recent years we have treated you to some varied and interesting wintery delights. In 2008 it was Pepperberry Winter Ale with woody & spicy -peppery warming characters of the Australian Mountain Pepperberry suspended in a dark delight. Last year we saw the return of the perennial favourite Hop Thief Ale. This was the third edition of this very popular hop focussed ale and without doubt we will return with a HT4 at some stage in the future, but not this winter. This year we have gone with a more malt accentuated brew, appropriately (we think) named the Malt Runner. This beer borrows its name from the role James Squire played in establishing beer as an alternative to rum in the early colony. The beer is a rich malty lager with 5.2% abv which has utilised crystal & chocolate malts and gifted with the addition of around 15% cherry juice late to the kettle. The result is an intruiging blend of bitter chocolate with the subtle influence of cherry both on the flavour and also via a reddish hue evident within the brew.
We hope you will enjoy this interesting journey to the malty-side of brewing. However for those that savour the more hop driven bitter offerings, fear not. The Mad Brewers are planning a late winter release for September, so we will have you covered off as well.The Malt Runner will be available nationally from mid May in liquor stores and one tap for a limited time only from James Squire Brewhouses in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Hobart and via other selected James Squire lead bars around the country.

Actually have to say I'm looking forward to a need beer from JS, bit upset I couldnt get my hands on any of that LC IPA goin around though! Can't say i don't like any JS beers I've tried, deffinetly the best beers on tap at most pubs in Adelaide!

Went to the launch of Malt Runner in Perth last night at The Generous Squire

The beer is nice, sort of tastes like a porter. The guy who gave a spiel about the beer said it was made in the fashion of a bock but lower in alcohol at around 5%. Very malt driven, nice choc flavour and a hint of cherry from the 10% cherry juice added. Hops were citra apparently

I liked it enough to buy a carton. Nice winter warmer :chug:

Hmmm.. assuming its at the JS Brewhouse @ the Portland Hotel, i'll be stopping by there tonight after work! :beerbang:

hmmm what do you recon Maple - we could knock this up for our 1st brew with Citra?

if its any good - maybe we should investigate......

hmmm what do you recon Maple - we could knock this up for our 1st brew with Citra?

if its any good - maybe we should investigate......
touch base with 4*, we're looking at lunchtime today.... off to a meeting.

I got an email from Grand Central Cellars here in Brisbane this morning saying they had 10 cases available for pre-order, so I snapped one up :) I read somewhere the RRP is $59.99 but GCC is doing the 10 it has for $54.99, but for $5 extra they'll deliver. Sounds like a good deal to me :)

[Newb question]: Would the Malt Runner benefit from cellaring at all? Cos I'm really keen to try it but I don't want to knock over a quarter of the case in one sitting and waste it if it's going to be nicer in six months' time...

just finished off two pints of it with Maple & fourstar at lunch.

The general consensus was that it was ok, but nothing super exciting. The cherry was very very subdued and I totally forgot that it was supposed to be there until the last mouthful of the first pint.

The second pint, my pallette was a lot more attuned to the beer and I enjoyed it more - but it really needs to warm up a bit to let the flavours develop - was way too cold on serving.

i agree with Brendo.

I could taste the cherry from the 1st sip. its not like a kriek style cherry where you expect a 'sherberty' quality, moreso like a cherriy liquor. deep and lingering. Melds well with the grainbill but not stand out and slap you in the face.

The 150 Lashes Red Lager on the other had was lacking on all fronts. Sulfury lager nose, dusty doughy grain husky palate and quite dry and chalky. Not enough sweetness to balance it out. Abit of a disappointment.

I just popped in a had one (red lager) and wouldn't give it as scathing dressing down as expressed by others. It was OK, far from being a terrible drop though.

I also noticed Roger Protz sitting in the corner tucking into a pint and some lunch.

L_Bomb: I didn't even think to check if anyone from here was going. I was there last night too. I really quite enjoyed it to be honest. I was expecting a heavier beer, but it worked well as a bock.

Also, my friend scored the bottle of Hahn Vintage Ale at the raffle!!

Haha nice NME! We were probably standing just near each other :p

I too thought the beer was definitely tastier once it had warmed up a bit. Might have to pop in for another to re-evaluate :chug:

Got the following email earlier this week from James Squires, (as I'm sure a lot of others here have got the same);

Yes folks, winter is just about on our doorstep once more and that means it's time for our James Squire winter limited release to hit the market. Over recent years we have treated you to some varied and interesting wintery delights. In 2008 it was Pepperberry Winter Ale with woody & spicy -peppery warming characters of the Australian Mountain Pepperberry suspended in a dark delight. Last year we saw the return of the perennial favourite Hop Thief Ale. This was the third edition of this very popular hop focussed ale and without doubt we will return with a HT4 at some stage in the future, but not this winter. This year we have gone with a more malt accentuated brew, appropriately (we think) named the Malt Runner. This beer borrows its name from the role James Squire played in establishing beer as an alternative to rum in the early colony. The beer is a rich malty lager with 5.2% abv which has utilised crystal & chocolate malts and gifted with the addition of around 15% cherry juice late to the kettle. The result is an intruiging blend of bitter chocolate with the subtle influence of cherry both on the flavour and also via a reddish hue evident within the brew.
We hope you will enjoy this interesting journey to the malty-side of brewing. However for those that savour the more hop driven bitter offerings, fear not. The Mad Brewers are planning a late winter release for September, so we will have you covered off as well.The Malt Runner will be available nationally from mid May in liquor stores and one tap for a limited time only from James Squire Brewhouses in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Hobart and via other selected James Squire lead bars around the country.

mmmm.. cherry ripe

Just picked a cold 6 pack of these from ERa in south Brisbane. Went on stock yesterday. $20 for 6 or iirc $62 for the carton. Will knock down a couple of these tonight :icon_drunk: to see if it's worth picking up more.
Cherry is not my fav, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Picked up a 6 pack today. While worth tasting (there were some nice Munich malt flavours), the bottles taste a bit oxidised (carboardy) and there is the distinctive (lack of) character obtained from the use of Tooheys yeast. It had potential and I can only imagine it would have been much better if brewed at Camperdown rather than at SAB Adelaide.

Bought a case today and thought the first half a beer was great. It's a bit sweet for a session.

Haha damnit. $15 less than I paid for a "pre-order" delivered, and that bottle-o is about a 10-minute drive from my place.

Ah well, live and learn :)

Also, I paid $45 at Vintage Cellars Paddington.

Just bought a case, $54 well spent sirs! just cleaned up the whole thing with a friend just then, he was as much a fan as i was and considering the fact he doesnt drink anything but your average mainstream poo... I think its a great gateway beer, deffinetly something a little out of the ordinary for a change in the big aussie comanies, i feel a clone comeing on..... :beerbang: room enough for improvement for my own tastebuds, but room then usual!

Back