James Squire - The Gambler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miner_richie

Reaction score
hi guys,

I’m pretty new to all grain (10 brews under the belt) and absolutely love this lager from James Squire. It’s a specialty brew they’ve put on for the summer. I Wrote down the grain and hops, but has anyone got an idea on how much I should add of each grain? Same for the hops. I’m hopeless at guessing the correct quantities, any help would be greatly appreciated! This was the generous squire in Perth, so not sure if they are doing this brew across Australia.

Grain:
Pilsner, Vienna and dark Munich

Hops:
Magnum, Ella

Notes: light in colour with a slight haze. Classic aromas with light spice, bready dough characters and a malty backdrop.

Thanks!

Not a lot to go off and I have never seen this lager / pilsner, but if it is a light colour I would start out with 80% Pilsner, 15% Vienna, 5% Munich if it is light, if it is dark Munich drop it to 3% and up the Pilsner.
You would have to punch it in to Brewers Friend to check out the colour, Magnum as your bittering hop and Ella the aroma. Have a play around with the recipe you could come out with something good.

Thanks for the reply Reg.

I didn’t find the lager overly hoppy....and more bitter on the finish. Any suggestions as to quantities of hops? I’ll put it into beersmith but I guess I’m asking what the rough bitterness would be. I’m thinking 30ish

Thanks for the reply Reg.

I didn’t find the lager overly hoppy....and more bitter on the finish. Any suggestions as to quantities of hops? I’ll put it into beersmith but I guess I’m asking what the rough bitterness would be. I’m thinking 30ish
Thats the beauty of all grain, you can make it to suit your taste, I like to know I have had a beer by the lingering bitterness. Try between 35 and 40 IBU's, maybe just try a small batch but you will not be making a beer that you can't drink.

Latest posts

Back